Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boston U. group offers Caucasian Achievement & Recognition Scholarship

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    My point was that the Blacks in the US have that shared history. So perhaps the generations that actually suffered the direct consequences of such things as slavery and systematic discrimination want impoved access to education for the new and future generations and thus created scholarships that specifically target their population. This is just my understanding of it so I have nothing against scholarships for African Americans.
    Yes, that is why it was intially established. It has served its function, and the races have been leveled now in the US.
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; November 21st, 2006 at 07:33 PM.

some might disagree with that
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    some might disagree with that
    Well then, what would the next step be then? Reverse discrimination? I just don't see that happening mainly because of the history of the States.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    Yes, that is why it was intially established. It has served its function, and the races have been leveled now in the US.
    There is an article in the NYT today that says exactly the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by lalala View Post
    There is an article in the NYT today that says exactly the opposite
    Well, post it. It will hopefully add to the board more confusion.

SVZ

I'm learning about this stuff in psych right now...self-schemas, ingroup favoritism, outgroup homogeneity, stereotypes, yadda yadda.

However I don't feel like I know enough to actually have a discussion about it...just regurgitate it on a test.

"Schools slow in closing gaps between races" http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/ed...bca&ei=5087%0A

^^Very resourceful, of you Lalala.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    I'm learning about this stuff in psych right now...self-schemas, ingroup favoritism, outgroup homogeneity, stereotypes, yadda yadda.

However I don't feel like I know enough to actually have a discussion about it...just regurgitate it on a test.
    Same here. Definately sounds like info to regurgitate. That's how school usually is though, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    I don't quite get what you are trying to say. I only suggested being more specific than just Caucasian so that it wouldn't apear as though it was meant to favour the Whites which people of other ethnicities or races wouldn't be so sensitive about White Supremacy and what not and would interpret it as more of a promotion of diversity.
    I was trying to disagree that this wouldn't work. Mainly because the majority of americans identify with their own economic social status than they do with their origin making it impossible. I even know "Caucasians" who aren't even sure their origin. Is it that they are more Hungarian or Italian? I just think that this wouldn't work in so much American culture, mainly due to its history and separation from a monarch. Maybe it would in Europe.
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; November 21st, 2006 at 08:37 PM.

Gold Member

For a $250 scholarship the applicant must be 25% white, maintain a 3.2 and write 2 essays BU is like 50k a year-that'll go far. And a white kid with a 3.2 describes most of the kids that go there. I went to several parties at BU when I was in college and I can tell you, the school is full of whities. There aren't all these suffering white people at BU. These college Repubes are just looking for attention.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    ^^Very resourceful, of you Lalala.

I was trying to disagree that this wouldn't work. Mainly because the majority of americans identify with their own economic social status than they do with their origin making it impossible. I even know "Caucasians" who aren't even sure their origin. Is it that they are more Hungarian or Italian? I just think that this wouldn't work in so much American culture, mainly due to its history and separation from a monarch. Maybe it would in Europe.
    Statistically speaking though, large number of those in poverty tend to be "racial minorities" (people of colour) esp in the US, evidenced in ghettos, ethnic barrios etc. That is one strata in social hierarchy which may be referred to as low economic class. Conversely, upper class tends to largely consists of Caucasians. It's just statistics and there are of course exceptions. However, this economic and racial disparity still exist today whether the history of slavery and racism may be considered by some a thing of the past.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^^ARe you trying to say that in the larger context of it all, it comes down to an indivudual IQ or something? The US could be digging its heels deeper and deeper, espeically by wasting its time by trying to spoon feed every ethic minority? This topic seems to have gone on and on now for quite some time in the US. It's seems to be a never ending issue.

What it is, is that everything is a cycle, and a lot of people who are poor, come from poor families who also came from poor families. And a lot of people who are wealthy come from families who are wealthy, so on and so forth. And because of the history involved with different ethnicities, particularly the polarity between whites and blacks in American history, there different cycles for different ethnicities.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoodness View Post
    Caucasian is an ethnicity, as far as I know MrsDark.
    I didn't say Caucasian. I said "white". Caucasians come from a variety of ethnic origins. Lighter colored skin is just a defining physical characteristic.

I'm curious what this group would do with a choice between a candidate who was 25% caucasian but 'whiter looking' than a candidate who was 50-75% caucasian?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

well, they just wouldn't get any scholarships. They'd be put in the "other" bin
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

You know I grew up in the Coal Region of PA. There are an AWFUL lot of poor white people who have come out of white immigrants exploited by the mining companies.
    I kind of get irked when the word " white" lumps together so many different ethnicities.

I am a white women WITH a 4.0 and I can tell you unless one of my family members loses a limb or magically becomes hispanic...there is SHIT out there in scholarship money for me.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information