Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian PM: Ban AIDS immigrants

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

America's problem is the retarded bureaocratic backlog when it comes to immigration that keeps ppl waiting and applying for upwards of 15 years or more.

A*O

Trust me - if people have skills (and money) that America needs they will get in very quickly. The people on the waiting list are there for a reason. They are usually elderly relatives or other family dependants with no skills who will be a burden to the system. The days when these words applied are long gone.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
    By the way, what is America's track record on accepting refugees from war-torn third world countries? I know a lot of Cubans came over when Castro came to power but I don't recall much about others who have found refuge there?
    Last edited by A*O; May 20th, 2007 at 04:26 AM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I can understand hesitancy to let anyone in to a country who could pose a medical risk or a financial burden.

I currently live in an area of America that has a high number of illegals. The financial burdens are ticking the public off and it has been getting very nasty lately. Taxes are being driven higher with government's attempts to alleviate teh burden placed on the public pot.

if you immigrate to Australia you can't get medicare for 2 years - so he must be talking about refugees.

IMO you shouldn't be allowed to move to Australia so you can get free medical care. I agree with John Howard.

Gold Member

^^Goodness yes.

The trouble with Medicare is that there is not enough money to cover things for existing Australian tax payers. Dental and drugs such as Gleevak (Chronic Myeloid Leukemia drug)

So as heartless as it sounds we need to look after our own ill first before we take on other country's health problems. I would also rather see the aged pension increased first and dental added to Medicare.

It is not our fault that we have been well governed since 1788 and have things like Medicare that provide good medical cover. Not to mention a pension for the aged, unemployed and sick. It is a sighn of good governing by both sides of politics and I am grateful for it and try not to take it for granted.

In Australia we pay for for Medicare via the Medicare levy. It is levied on your salary at the rate of 1.4%. For what it provides I think it is money well taxed.

Many years ago when early in Bill Clinton's presidency Hilary Clinton was looking at our Medicare system. It is a great shame she didn't take it improve it and get it happening in America.

powerorchid thank you for teaching me something new, I didn't know you had to wait 2 years for Medicare.

I don't see why the country should add to its number of HIV positive people. Call me heartless but I'm with Howard on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2007 View Post
    powerorchid thank you for teaching me something new, I didn't know you had to wait 2 years for Medicare.
    It's also the reason why people desperately want to come in as refugees because then they can get immediate medicare and the dole, child allowance etc. If they are immigrants I am pretty sure they can't get any of that for 2 years.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    If they are immigrants I am pretty sure they can't get any of that for 2 years.
    Not true. We migrated here 7 years ago and qualified for Medicare immediately. There are many different classes of visas though and I believe if you come here on a temporary working/student visa (which can be for up to 4 years) you don't get Medicare. Obviously people with tourist visas don't either. My parents migrated here 3 years ago and they qualified for Medicare immediately too. Unless the rules have changed but I'm not aware of it.
    Dame Edna Everage

And this is the same Howard who essentially let a boatload of refugees drown off Australia's coast? Sounds like a real humanitarian to me.

A*O

^^ That didn't happen. It was a huge pre-election beat up by the Labour party. They lost. We have another federal election in November and this time it's going to be much more interesting although I'm still prepared to bet that The Great Australian Electorate will prefer to stick with the devil they know and re-elect John Howard. Love him or loathe him he's a brilliant politician and his opponant from the Labour Party, Kevin Rudd, has only been in that job for a few months and has already shot himself in the foot several times.
    Dame Edna Everage

According to my friends in Sydney, it did happen. They were extremely upset about it. They are a judge and a schoolteacher, not given to hysteria.

Anyway, everything I've ever read or seen about Howard has turned my stomach. He's a racist and when I was there, was setting up Australians to take falls in countries that have the death penalty for drugs. For God's sakes, let them serve time in Australian jails. The man's a menace.

I don't consider fascists and racists brilliant under any circumstances.

Hmmm, my husband came to australia from the US 8 years ago on a "prospective spouse visa" he could work, but he could not get any benefits for 2 years.

As for the refugees drowing, imo if you fly from the mid east to indonesia then board a leaky boat in indonesia and pay people smugglers $5000 per person to sneak you into australia ilegally how is it John Howards fault? people need to take repsonsibility for their own actions. Sad that it happened but hardly Australia's fault. It's our country and we can only financially support so many refugees.

Funny how some people think Australia owes them some-thing. I live in Singapore now and I was talking to a local malaysian who is friends with my son. His parents want to immigrate to Australia next year. I'm saying "great you will love it!" - what kind of job are your parents going to be looking for?" and he said "they want to go on welfare, we heard it's really good in australia and you can live off welfare" and I go "ooookay"

People do the same thing in Canada but I still don't condone letting people drown. All of this is sounding suspiciously like the countries in World War II who refused the Jewish refugees for exactly the same reasons. Chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Yes, Australia has a (mostly) free public healthcare system and yes this is about adding people to that system who have contributed nothing towards it so far. When we migrated to Australia we had to undergo some very stringent medical tests, including HIV, with the understanding that if we failed the medicals we weren't going to get in. I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't have a problem with it now. This isn't a 'new' policy - it's always been the case with migrants wishing to come and live her and benefit from the Australian health/welfare system. People with TB, serious chronic diseases, hepatatis, etc are subject to the same rule. It's not discriminatory and it's certainly not 'racist'.

Other countries, including America, Land Of The Free, have just as many rules and regulations about people wanting to migrate there. There certainly isn't an Open Door policy, especially for people who are sick, possibly unable to work and with few financial resources.
    ITA A*O. I don't see a problem with it either and as you said, this policy is not exactly new.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    Hmmm, my husband came to australia from the US 8 years ago on a "prospective spouse visa" he could work, but he could not get any benefits for 2 years.
    So he didn't come in as a Permanent Resident - those are the magic words. The Immigration Dept is VERY picky about these 'prospective spouse' visas because they are abused so much. Not saying that was the case with you but I know you have to jump through hoops to convince them you are genuinely planning to marry, work and settle here with an Aussie spouse, not just a marriage of convenience.

@ PB. If Australians choose to smuggle drugs in/out of countries who take a zero tolerance approach to these things and execute people who break their laws that's too bad. I see absolutely NO reason why being an Australian gives you some kind of Get Out Of Jail Free And Serve Your Sentence Back Home card. Everyone here absolutely understands the risks and penalties for these offences and if John Howard allows the stupid twats to face the consequences (and a firing squad) then I say good for him. If the Indonesian or Thai or Singaporean Govt tried to spring their nationals out of Aussie jails there would be uproar and quite right too.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information