Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian airline bans "anti-Bush" conversations on their flights

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    I do not support any suppression of expression, but c'mon, what sort of fool wants to make a stupid statement to airline staff and security - a demographic with a notoriously absent sense of humor.
    I doubt he wanted to amuse airline staff in particular. He was making a statement in general.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

You can multi quote...
    Here's the tutorial
    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/hel...le-people.html

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^ Yeah, i thought they would merge themselves...Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by princesspink View Post
    C'mon its just an effing t-shirt. People know that won't kill them. And shouting 'bomb' on a plane is very different from wearing a t-shirt that labels someone else a terrorist.
    Of course its only an "effing t-shirt", and if you dont wish to ever fly Quantas that is your perogative - Im sure they are shattered about it, but the guy made a very deliberate statement, that wasnt noticed until the bright spark pointed it out to an official. Its obvious that he wanted to play the martyr. Ill just make a sweeping statement....Dont fuck around with airport officials. I dont agree with what happened, but think he should not have been allowed on for just being a dickhead
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Qantas is an excellent airline, apart from this BS. Still, I may re-consider using them for our next trip to Oz.
    That's a matter of opinion. Anyway, next time you fly to Oz from Van I suggest you go via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific. Most excellent.

I suspect this was done mainly to teach other people a lesson that it's not clever to dick around with security protocols. You may not agree with it but there are still plenty of morons out there who think it's 'hilarious' to say they packed a bomb in their suitcase, or write 'terrorist' in the 'occupation' section of their immigration cards. The more I fly, the more I think we should go back to the good old days of air travel when it was a luxury afforded to people who knew how to conduct themselves in a civilized, considerate manner. Most flights now resemble Animal House and I make no apology for paying extra for the privilege of being able to turn left when I get on a plane these days for a seat with a single-digit row number.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Wait a minute...why is wearing a t-shirt that calls Bush a terrorist uncivilized? It's just a personal statement, and it doesn't do anyone any harm. Why is it messing around with airport officials? It doesn't call the airport officials terrorists, and even if that was the case he should be allowed to board.

My point being let the man utilize his freedom of expression. Of course its silly to do all the things a*o has mentioned that people do for fun, esp. in today's world. But this t-shirt case is different. His t-shirt has nothing to do with the plane he was about to board, it was just a harmless statement.

Princesspink, have you read the article? If you'd had you would know why it was about messing about with airline officials. The t-shirt was disallowed because it may offend....does that mean you condone anything written on a t-shirt that may be seen as offensive?
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

No I do not condone anything written on a t-shirt, but I will condone a person's right to express himself.

Not letting a person board a plane because of a message on his t-shirt sounds like a bit too much, doesn't it? People get offended about a lot of trivial things, and Qantas should use its good judgement to figure out when an offensive t-shirt crosses the line. And this time it didnt.

Unfortunately any business, organisation or service provider has a right to dictate forms of acceptable behaviour that will not alienate or upset others as a means of social acceptability in order to maximize profit and ensure customer satisfaction. Someone has to draw the line, and enforce a standard. That you dont agree is kind of irrelevant. A nudist for example will express themselves but, there is a time and place for most. Even they would have the good sense to wear clothes on a flight.

Maybe its not necessarily just Qantas that should be using good judgement

I would be happy if nudists were allowed to board too. But they aren't and I won't oppose it because i agree that would be crossing the line . But doing what this person did was not.

My point is, what this person did does not fall in the category of unacceptable behaviour. If he was shouting aloud that Bush was a terrorist in the plane he ought to be thrown out. But if he wears a t-shirt expressing his opinion and follows eery rule laid down by the airline company, his behaviour is totally acceptable. There may have been a bunch of people on the plane disagreeing with him, but I doubt they would want him thrown out of the plane as long as he isn't directly bothering them.

I really dont think the airline official was denouncing the fact that Bush was the target but rather the fact that others might be upset by a T that had the word terrorist on it. I just dont believe that any airline would want other passengers feeling any apprehension other than take off, landing or turbulance. I believe personally that it was an overreaction, but I can still see the other side and their reasoning for the decision. Your freedom of expression point it well taken, I just think the passenger was playing silly buggers, and his non compliance was reason enough to not allow him to board.
    There is not enough information in the article ascertain their actual reasoning behind the decision. So we could speculate ad infinitum. Did others object? was it the anti bush sentiment? (which I'm a massive supporter of btw), was it an example of making an example of someone, etc, etc
    Last edited by Soth; February 4th, 2007 at 06:31 AM.

Yes, i understand that the Qantas officials might not have opposed the message on the t-shirt. But you see, messages on t-shirts can offend just about anyone. Funny mesages like " I was an athiest until I realized I was God" could offend a lot of people. So will they just ban t-shirts with messages in the future?

I'm glad you agree it is an overreaction and I wish Qantas could see it too.

Your rhetoric aside, I see Qantas' point though. Its fine to point fingers as you have. Just realize that any airlines first priority is the comfort and safety of its passengers. Any form of freedom of expression zealotry without the all facts on the issue is always going to be a weak arguement. Besides its not as though this particular message was not relevant to an airlines no 1 safety concern, for which they have limited control. Surely no passenger could be concerned over such an actuality. (Bush aside though....that bit has been shitty for pretty well everyone)

Like I said before, as long as it wasn't the 'In your face' kind of protest, the comfort and the safety of the passengers will be just as they would like it to be.

P.S. All those humongous facts that support the idea that Bush is a terrorist must not have fit on the t-shirt, in the dude's defence.

Anyway a fur seal walks into a club........Look Im not stating that the guy was about to blow up his shoe, mix household chemicals together midflight or take toenail clippers on the plane, let alone give buildings or the ground a headbutt. Lots of people have an aversion to flying, it is the airlines responsibility to make the trip as comfortable as possible. If someones anxiousness is exacerbated by some benign, ironic T, that has the word terrorist on it, or if they are gun totin' flag wearin' apple pie eatin' good ole boys, it is conceivable that an incident could possibly occur. If an unforseen event occurs, its no ones fault, if it could have been envisioned and prevented - the fit will hit the shan. This is about the minimisation of a possible nasty occurance for the airline.
    Strange that 2 months earlier Virgin took the same stance - this guy was just itching for his 15 minutes
    Last edited by Soth; February 4th, 2007 at 08:33 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information