Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 86

Thread: Absolut ad causes shit storm

  1. #31
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,224

    Default

    ^^^
    well, except there weren't really any 'good' or 'bad' guys involved here. neither the spanish nor the americans were exactly justified in fighting over land that belonged to the indigenous populations in the first place.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  2. #32
    Elite Member tkdgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    well, except there weren't really any 'good' or 'bad' guys involved here. neither the spanish nor the americans were exactly justified in fighting over land that belonged to the indigenous populations in the first place.
    That argument can be made in any country today. Most country exist today because of a war in the past, whether 2 years ago or 2000.

  3. #33
    Elite Member Just Kill Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes
    Posts
    15,550

    Default

    The Europeans won it fair and square through a successful campaign of displacement and genocide, okay!?!?!

  4. #34
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    That argument can be made in any country today. Most country exist today because of a war in the past, whether 2 years ago or 2000.

    Yes I agree, just like the Anglo Saxons took land over from the Britons, and the Franks took land over from the Gauls. There aren't many European countries that were not conquered and taken from their indigenous populations either.

    People just like to throw it up regarding the US as it was more recent, but it's not an American only situation
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  5. #35
    Elite Member Just Kill Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes
    Posts
    15,550

    Default

    Regarding the indigenous peoples of North America; can it really be called a proper war? Especially since the US has such a hard time honoring treaties from this "war".

  6. #36
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,224

    Default

    all i meant was that it's not quite the same as someone coming in and taking something that had belonged to people for ages. neither the americans or the spaniards had any historical claim to the land, they'd both stolen it from the indigenous peoples.
    yes, i know that most modern countries are the result of war, just pointing out that in this case, there really is nothing for people to get their panties in a wad about.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  7. #37
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,872

    Default

    ^^ actually the spanish no longer owned Mexico at the time this war was fought. They had won their independence about 25 years before.

    All land is stolen from it's indigenous people. Any of our UK friends met any Picts lately?

    I think we all should have a glass of vodka in honor of this thread
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  8. #38
    Elite Member Dixie Normos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In between the mountains and sea
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Regarding the indigenous peoples of North America; can it really be called a proper war? Especially since the US has such a hard time honoring treaties from this "war".
    Um, please don't lump us in there, Canada is North America too. We still pay for our Natives. We give them education grants and subsidies, scholarships. Tax free land and products. Sure, it doesn't make up for the French Jesuits filled with God and smallpox we unleashed on them, not to mention the gunpowder happy Brits, but it's better than nothing, which is what a lot of people get for land stealing and tribal extermination. We made treaties that we still honour to this day, try to, anyhow.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

  9. #39
    Elite Member tkdgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    all i meant was that it's not quite the same as someone coming in and taking something that had belonged to people for ages. neither the americans or the spaniards had any historical claim to the land, they'd both stolen it from the indigenous peoples.
    yes, i know that most modern countries are the result of war, just pointing out that in this case, there really is nothing for people to get their panties in a wad about.
    Ah so because our ancestors 'stole' someone's land (actually fought for it and lost lives), that makes the ad ok? Um yeah, ok.

    Dixie, Native Americans are well taken care of here in the United States as well.

  10. #40
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    26,144

    Default

    Not really, tkd. Especially if they want to carve out a life away from a reservation. We could be doing way better.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  11. #41
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default



    ABSOLUT REALITY
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  12. #42
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,872

    Default

    ^^hey, I'm Canadian....who knew?
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  13. #43
    Elite Member Dixie Normos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In between the mountains and sea
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post


    ABSOLUT REALITY
    OoooOooh, I'm glad we got the West side...say, any chance of assimilating Chesapeake Bay? I've always wanted to go there, without spending $80 to renew my passport.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

  14. #44
    Elite Member tkdgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Not really, tkd. Especially if they want to carve out a life away from a reservation. We could be doing way better.
    Well I can only go by the ones I know. And they are doing very well for themselves.

  15. #45
    Elite Member tkdgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post


    ABSOLUT REALITY

    I guarantee you Michiganders would fight tooth and nail to not be part of Canada.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 1st, 2006, 02:39 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 1st, 2006, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •