Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Abortion.

Default Re: Abortion.

Does anyone else think that formal sex ed/birth control ed should start much younger than, say, 9th grade/14 years old?

I think it should be made into something learned/talked at around 10 that DOESN'T stop until a kid has graduated from high school.

In my school district we got one semester of health. Sex ed was 2 weeks, junior year(16/17) (FAR too late), with a pretty comprehensive info on bc. However, this was the only time it was mentioned AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't know where everyone gets the idea that schools aren't allowed to mention birth control. We learned about it in Biology (9th grade) along with our "Miracle of Life" unit, as well as in Medical Health (10th or 11th grade, depending on when you chose to take it) and if you wanted more information there were fliers and counselors available to help you at the school nurse. Our lessons on sex in grade school were effective and to the point without encouraging sexual activity in high school. I honestly think that the problem isn't that students are uninformed, it's that they just don't care about the consequences, because believe me, resources and information ARE available. I am a firm believer that handing out contraceptives to high school kids will encourage sexual activity.
    I wholeheartedly disagree!! Drug stores sell condoms. Are they, therefore, encouraging sexual activity?? How does availability encourage use??

Let's face it, folks: TEENAGERS ARE GOING TO HAVE SEX. As much as it disturbs me to think about it, it's gonna happen. We may as well make condoms available to them so the rest of us (taxpayers, etc.) don't have to suffer the consequences, not to mention the teen parents and their families.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Does anyone else think that formal sex ed/birth control ed should start much younger than, say, 9th grade/14 years old?

I think it should be made into something learned/talked at around 10 that DOESN'T stop until a kid has graduated from high school.

In my school district we got one semester of health. Sex ed was 2 weeks, junior year(16/17) (FAR too late), with a pretty comprehensive info on bc. However, this was the only time it was mentioned AT ALL.
    My kids started to ask questions about sex when they were around 5-6 "where do babies come from?" type thing. Obviously we didn't go into the full biological details - kids at that age can't absorb that kind of information. We'd say things like "a baby comes from Mummy's tummy" etc. They were happy with that and then began to ask more specific questions as they grew older. In my experience, kids tend only to ask the questions they are ready to ask and it's possible to explain some quite 'technical' stuff if you use appropriate language. Of course it should be an ongoing thing and I think parents have an absolutely responsibility to discuss sex, birth control, sexuality, etc with their children as and when requested and/or required.

It shocks me that the kids who grew up in the liberated 60's and 70's and who are now parents themselves STILL don't talk about sex with their own children, even though it's openly discussed (and portrayed) almost everywhere. Parents who say 'oh I'm too embarrassed' or 'well my parents never discussed it with me, so why should I discuss it with my kids' or worst of all ' it's the school's job' deserve the tribes of bastard grandchildren they end up having to raise because of their failure to educate their daughters properly.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

You're right about kids and questions. Mine ask here and there and we just tell them what they need to know at that moment. We're quite open about most things and hopefully the kids will grow up with healthy attitudes. It is most definitely the parents responsibility to talk to their kids and 'being embarrassed' is absolutely stupid. Talk, inform, protection if needed. This is, after all, 2005, and with the exception of Katie Holmes, has anyone heard of any other 26 year old virgins?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

much like how students are shown movies such as Red Cement when theyre taking driver's ed to scare them into not drinking and driving they should show the nasty movie I had to watch in sex ed. really close up pictures of people with raging cases of herpes and syphillis (sp?) all over their mouths and other areas *ahem*. that made everyone think a little bit.

it's a tough one... in a way i agree that parents should be notified, but at the same time, i think a minor that wants an abortion should have some sort of legal recourse if her parents want to stop her from going ahead with it.
    i'd have to research it but i'm pretty sure there are countries where minors are allowed to have abortions without notifying their parents, but they first have to have an interview with some sort of family judge that has to determine if they are mature enough to take such a decision

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

What if the parent's decide that she can't have an abortion and must raise the child. That will screw up two lives. If the child is under 18 let a judge decide. They have seen it all and can give a level-headed decision. I would have been so sad to have disapointed my parents.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I don't know when you went to school, but that kind of education has been phased out for the most part since Bush took over.
    I graduated from high school in 2003 and according to my younger brother and sister, who are there now, my school is still using the same sex education tactics and videos. I'm glad that they are because I thought that it was extremely effective.

I think at the very least parents should be notified of the abortion. I would probably be in favor of them having the power to decide whether or not to permit it as well.
    Last edited by southernbelle; November 15th, 2005 at 08:10 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information