Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touchdown!!! (Canadian election results)

Silver Member

Default Touchdown!!! (Canadian election results)

> Wonder where those Conservative votes came from??? Hmmm....

> Interesting to see those "AlbertaJesusFucks" (not my description - sorry if it offends anyone) clean house, too.

> High-five to the NDP for their increased # of votes/seats and especially to the Green Party!

Harper wins Tory minority government

Last Updated Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:11:38 EST
    CBC News

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper will become Canada's next prime minister, as Canadians have elected a Tory minority government and ended a 12-year reign of Liberal rule. Nationwide, the Tories are currently leading or elected in 122 ridings, the Liberals in 104, the Bloc in 50 and 30 for the NDP.
    Supporters cheer as they watch early election results come in at the Conservative election night party in Calgary. (CP PHOTO/Ryan Remiorz)
    The Tories appeared to make significant gains in Ontario and Quebec, leading or elected in at least two dozen seats in Central Canada.
    The NDP also made major gains, up 11 from the 2004 vote.
    In Quebec, where they were shut out in 2004, the Tories made major inroads, leading or elected in 10 ridings, eight from the Bloc and two from the Liberals.

In vote-rich Ontario, the Liberals, who captured 75 seats in 2004, are leading or elected in 57 ridings. But the Tories increased their support and are leading or elected in 38 ridings, a gain of 14. The NDP is leading in 11 ridings, up four.

The province, a Liberal stronghold, has 106 seats and is considered the key to victory.
    Both Liberal Leader Paul Martin and Conservative Leader Stephen Harper campaigned heavily in the strategic province.
    The Greater Toronto Area continued to be painted mostly Liberal red, though, with candidates from the party either leading or declared elected in 35 ridings, compared to four for the Conservatives and four for the NDP.
    In Quebec, the Bloc is elected or leading in 50 of the province's 75 ridings, followed by the Liberals with 14 seats. But the Tories were leading or elected in 10 ridings. In 2004, the Bloc received 54 seats, followed by the Liberals with 21.
    Early the campaign, Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe, who appeared to set an electoral goal of 50 per cent of the popular vote, focused his attacks on Martin. But with polls suggesting Conservative popularity soaring in the province, Duceppe began slamming Harper.
    In the Atlantic provinces, the Liberals, who won 22 seats in the June 2004 election, had elected or were leading in 19 of the region's 32 ridings. The Conservatives, who were hoping to make bigger inroads in the region, were elected or leading in nine ridings, only a gain of two. But they did increase their popular support by 4.5 per cent since the June 2004 vote. The NDP maintained their seat count of three. In the last election, the Liberals took 22 seats, while the Tories picked up seven.
    Former Tory turned Liberal Scott Brison, the public works minister, Geoff Regan, minister of fisheries and oceans and Conservative MP Peter MacKay, the party's deputy leader, were among the prominent candidates re-elected in the region.
    All four major party leaders held on to their ridings.

Many political observers have credited Harper for running a smooth campaign.
    He regularly pumped out policy announcements throughout the unusually long 56-day campaign, leaving the Liberals mostly to react.
    Martin campaigned on his record as finance minister and his implementation of eight consecutive balanced budgets. He also promised to lower personal income taxes, create a national child-care plan, ban handguns, subsidize post-secondary students and ban the federal use of the notwithstanding clause.
    But he spent the last weeks of the campaign going after Harper. He accused him of having an extreme right-wing agenda that would threaten the rights of minorities and take away a woman's right to choose.
    Unlike the 2004 election, the Tories were also able to keep their so-called controversial MPs in check. Indeed, reporters complained the party was purposely keeping some candidates away from the media spotlight.
    In this campaign, it was the Liberals who were often in damage control mode.
    In the early weeks of the campaign, Martin spokesman Scott Reid said parents would spend Harper's child-care subsidy on "beer and popcorn." Later, the Ontario vice-president of the party resigned after he compared NDP candidate Olivia Chow to a dog.
    Martin was also questioned about a series of attack ads, in particular one that suggested Harper would post armed soldiers on the streets of Canadian cities.
    And just last week, Martin again was on the defensive, having to declare Harper's patriotism after Canadian Auto Workers head Buzz Hargrove, who endorsed the Liberals, suggested the Tory leader was a separatist.
    As Martin was forced to contend with the fallout of the sponsorship scandal, his party was hit with two RCMP probes, one into a possible government leak on income trusts and another into alleged illegal spending through the now-defunct unity lobby Option Canada. Opposition parties jumped on the investigations claiming it was proof of what they called more corruption in the Liberal ranks.

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb064&pp=ZS
    Last edited by Dracko; January 23rd, 2006 at 11:24 PM.

Default Re: Touchdown!!! (Canadian election results)

If you're trying to provoke Grimm, it's gonna take a lot more than that.

The Reform Party will shoot itself in the foot repeatedly now that Harper won't be able to stop the rednecks he got elected from flapping their mouths. He muzzled them during the campagin, but he can't keep it up forever.

Alberta is officially a one-party state. That's nothing to crow about, IMO.

SVZ

uhh is there any article in there somewhere or do i not know how to read?

if this is an inside thing between a few posters, i don't it needs to have it's own thread.

as you may or may not notice we do try to include either an article, or a substantial post content such that more than a one person can comment on it.

Silver Member

Nope, just sharing the love and news...

Not everyone will be happy but we can celebrate with those that are. Can't we?

Hmm...I always thought about moving back to AB...all the more reason to now.

Shit, I was even spreading the love around. I am truly happy for the 32 seats the NDP took! Good for them. I wouldn't be surprised in the next election if they took even more.

http://www.liberal.ca/news_e.aspx?id=11447

This is taken from the Liberal website but it was corroborated by the CBC. The Conservative candidate in NOrth Van, Cindy Silver, is a well-known social conservative who was instrumental in trying to ban books from the Surrey school board that didn't focus solely on her idea of family. She is virulently homophobic and anti-poor. And she was muzzled. And it looks like she is losing -- there is some justive after all. She managed to piss off just about everybody, including her own campaign team.

Harper Muzzling Local Candidates
    January 20, 2006

Stephen Harper denies he is muzzling his candidates from expressing their true opinions on social issues.

A number of Conservative candidates have been muzzled by Stephen Harper and are not attending debates or responding to media.

* Bob Dechert – Mississauga Erindale: Where's Bob Dechert? That was the big question asked repeatedly in Mississauga-Erindale on Wednesday as federal candidates faced a predominantly student audience at the University of Toronto's Mississauga campus. Dechert, the Conservative candidate, was a no-show for the debate, one of only a few public opportunities for candidates to square off in this campaign.

* Harold Albrecht - Kitchener-Conestoga: Yesterday, Conservative candidate Harold Albrecht, known for his controversial views on gay marriage, was hustled away from reporters and into a banquet-hall kitchen yesterday where handlers refused to bring him out. "He's in a meeting,'' a Tory official insisted, pushing a door closed as Albrecht stood next to empty dish racks.

* Rob Anders – Calgary-West: Calgary-West Conservative candidate Rob Anders was invited to take part in an all candidates forum. He declined the invitation and was not there. Neither he nor his campaign manager returned repeated calls. A visit by CTV to his campaign office also failed to find him. A spokesperson for the Conservative party, Steven Carter said Anders was in B.C. campaigning for candidate Derek Zeisman.

* Rondo Thomas – Ajax-Pickering: Conservative candidate Rondo Thomas skipped a debate in Toronto, but the anti-same-sex marriage comments he made on a controversial video resonated throughout Pickering Recreation Centre last night at a televised all-candidates meeting. Thomas also missed a debate on January 10, 2006.

* Patrick Brown – Barrie: Conservative candidate Patrick Brown pulled out of a national CBC all-candidate town hall, after his campaign had initially indicated otherwise. He has subsequently pulled out of a TV Ontario all-candidates debate.

* Rakesh Khosla – Halifax-West: CBC television reported that Halifax-West Conservative Candidate Rakesh Khosla has mysteriously disappeared and his campaign staff was unable to tell the media of his whereabouts. This follows his refusal to speak with media about a meeting he had with fundamentalist religious groups. His website no longer contains his schedule.

* Cheryl Gallant – Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke: Subsequent to recent media reports of violations of Canada’s Privacy laws, Conservative MP and the candidate in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke has failed to attend an editorial board, all candidates debates and is refusing to speak with any national reporters.

* Darrel Reid – Richmond: The Conservative candidate has declined interview requests from the Vancouver Sun, did not participate in an on-air debate with CBC earlier this week, and declined to be interviewed by BCTV for a riding profile. Earlier this week, in an effort to get Reid to comment on allegations being leveled at him by his political rivals, Reid twice gave assurances to the Richmond News he would call. When his handlers insisted on knowing what the questions were, Reid reneged on that promise.

CBC reports that social conservative groups are putting their issues on the back burner during the election campaign so long as it means the Conservative party has a better chance of winning. "They have to talk this way to get elected," said Link Byfield, chairman of the Citizens Centre for Freedom and Democracy.

Hermina Dykxhoorn, president of the Alberta Federation of Women United for Families, says she's willing not to talk about those issues during the election if it means electing a Conservative government.

Mr. Harper, you signed your candidates’ nomination papers. What are you so afraid of?

Silver Member

SVZ...I'm not here to debate the election...just to update those who might not know the results (the US posters) and to share the news? Isn't that what this forum is all about. If you think cuz there isn't an "article" in here it isn't okay, you need to write that in the rules. Should I go find one?

I said postive things and if you guys take them as inflammatory you shouldn't be so sensitive...

SVZ

*shrug*

it's just that i read that first paragraph and couldn't understand any of it...numbers, links, articles or anything.

it just sounded like a random conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Dracko
    SVZ...I'm not here to debate the election...just to update those who might not know the results (the US posters) and to share the news? Isn't that what this forum is all about. If you think cuz there isn't an "article" in here it isn't okay, you need to write that in the rules. Should I go find one?

I said postive things and if you guys take them as inflammatory you shouldn't be so sensitive...
    If you're simply here to update the news as you say, why not post to a news story?

Instead, you post remarks made by another poster two or three days ago. The news content in your post was pretty slender, IMO.

Silver Member

I added an article on the election to make things legit.

Now, back to the celebrating...

Well, I guess the Canadian government is going to suck now just as bad as the US government...except you Canadians will now have a leader who is just as ridiculous but EVEN CREEPIER than Dubya! Good luck!!(you are going to need it)

If it was legit in the first place, you wouldn't have had to make it legit. Oh, well, here's another link: http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/results.html.

I'm not posting the story because there are a lot of tables that won't translate well. But all the latest info is there.

I'm very excited to see how this Tory/NDP alliance will work out...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    If it was legit in the first place, you wouldn't have had to make it legit. Oh, well, here's another link: http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/results.html.

I'm not posting the story because there are a lot of tables that won't translate well. But all the latest info is there.

I didn't know about the rule that there had to be an article...that is why I added one.

And, why even bother reading this if all you are going to do is bring everything down? I edited my post to make it more "acceptable" and added an article. Just trying to do things according to the rules.

Thanks for the link btw. I would have posted it but didn't know it was available. Makes the thread more clear... and easier to understand the election results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracko

Hmm...I always thought about moving back to AB...all the more reason to now.
    Might I suggest you try Crowsnest Pass..right beside Turtle Mountain???

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoodness
    I'm very excited to see how this Tory/NDP alliance will work out...
    Yes, I am too am looking forward to seeing what this means for Canada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information