Thread: Harper's popularity a result of Canada's wealthy elite, not majority

Thumbs down Harper's popularity a result of Canada's wealthy elite, not majority

Gee, this might explain why I see rich neighborhoods in toronto, old money, blanketed in coservative signs...

Jan. 22, 2006. 01:00 AM
    LINDA MCQUAIG

If Stephen Harper's Conservatives win tomorrow, their victory will no doubt be heralded as a seismic shift in Canadian politics as the dawn of a new conservative era.

Actually, it will probably have more to do with the shifting loyalties of Canada's elite.

In other words, a Harper victory will not be a sign that Canadian attitudes are moving rightward, despite the best efforts of the National Post to cast it this way.

If anything, the Canadian electorate has been getting more socially progressive in recent years, according to pollster Frank Graves, president of Ottawa-based EKOS Research Associates.

Graves says Harper's sudden rise in the polls reflects his increased support among only a few groups primarily among affluent, older, predominantly male Canadians. (By contrast, support for Harper among Canadians under 25 is only about one in four, says Graves.)

This older, affluent crowd packs a punch. It is politically active, well-connected and dominant in public debate. It's the same group that helped Paul Martin in his long quest for power. With its support, Martin was able to push aside a sitting prime minister who, at the time at least, enjoyed considerable popularity with Canadians.

This group now apparently sees its interests best served by Harper in part, Graves says, because of financial issues that have attracted little attention in the campaign, such as Harper's strong support for income trusts and his pledge to effectively eliminate the taxation of capital gains. (The capital gains move particularly would deliver a huge windfall to the richest Canadians.)

This shifting preference of the Canadian elite doesn't mean there's been an overall shift in Canadian attitudes.

For years, most Canadians have resisted the extreme strain of conservatism that Harper has represented, considering it at odds with goals like tolerance and diversity, social inclusion and equality, as well as internationalism, the United Nations and the rule of law.

You could call this basic set of attitudes the "Canadian consensus" a consensus that, in the past, often cut across party lines. Old-style Conservatives like Joe Clark and David Crombie largely embraced it, as did most Liberals and New Democrats.

Stephen Harper's Conservatives are a different breed than Joe Clark's Conservatives, which is why there was much acrimony and many defections when Harper's Canadian Alliance effectively took over the old Conservative party, creating a new entity more in line with American-style neoconservatism.

Whatever political party wins the election tomorrow, it will almost certainly do so with the support of considerably less than half of Canadian voters.

So it makes sense that that party whichever it is be held to minority status, where it has to heed other parties.

Such constraint on power is a good idea, particularly if the ruling party is out of sync with the Canadian consensus and has triumphed largely because older, affluent Canadian males have found a new guy to champion their cause.
    Not in bed with corporations, not in bed with the top 5%, and not in bed with wealth, eh? The everyman, eh?

Bullshit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Default Re: Harper's popularity a result of Canada's wealthy elite, not majority

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Gee, this might explain why I see rich neighborhoods in toronto, old money, blanketed in coservative signs...

Not in bed with corporations, not in bed with the top 5%, and not in bed with wealth, eh? The everyman, eh?

Bullshit.
    Grimmlok, it will be a sign that the Liberals are thieves - they stole money, they, have values that are reflective of this, and that peolple of all walks are tired of ad scams and and liberal entitlements, and the deserve to be kicked out of government and put into jail. If the 5% of Canada's "elite" (your percentage) were the only ones voting Conservative they could NEVER get in. They'd be down with votes somewhere with the Green Party. So where are all the votes coming from. Have to be from some of your "Liberals."

IF THE LIBERALS HAD DONE THEIR JOB OVER THE LAST 12 YEARS THEY WOULD BE RE-ELECTED. Hell, I'd be voting for them. They have lost the votes by their own actions and not due to anything anyone else is doing. The small number number of die-hard Liberals like you that are supporting the party are being outnumbered by the open minded ones deciding Canada needs a change.

Default Re: Harper's popularity a result of Canada's wealthy elite, not majority

Quote Originally Posted by Dracko
    Grimmlok, it will be a sign that the Liberals are thieves - they stole money, they, have values that are reflective of this, and that peolple of all walks are tired of ad scams and and liberal entitlements, and the deserve to be kicked out of government and put into jail. If the 5% of Canada's "elite" (your percentage) were the only ones voting Conservative they could NEVER get in. They'd be down with votes somewhere with the Green Party. So where are all the votes coming from. Have to be from some of your "Liberals."

IF THE LIBERALS HAD DONE THEIR JOB OVER THE LAST 12 YEARS THEY WOULD BE RE-ELECTED. Hell, I'd be voting for them. They have lost the votes by their own actions and not due to anything anyone else is doing. The small number number of die-hard Liberals like you that are supporting the party are being outnumbered by the open minded ones deciding Canada needs a change.

People voting Conservative open-minded?

That's a good one, really.

The Liberals have done their job! The current administration was not implicated in the Gomery Report; anyone who was DOES NOT WORK FOR THEM ANYMORE!

Grimmlok, it will be a sign that the Liberals are thieves - they stole money, they, have values that are reflective of this, and that peolple of all walks are tired of ad scams and and liberal entitlements, and the deserve to be kicked out of government and put into jail.

Oh yes, a scam that didn't involve anybody in the government currently, and scamS? Plural? Try ONE. Can you do that? eesh.

If the 5% of Canada's "elite" (your percentage) were the only ones voting Conservative they could NEVER get in. They'd be down with votes somewhere with the Green Party. So where are all the votes coming from. Have to be from some of your "Liberals."
    You don't know where the votes are coming from? Do you even look at riding reports? Again, educate yourself.

IF THE LIBERALS HAD DONE THEIR JOB OVER THE LAST 12 YEARS THEY WOULD BE RE-ELECTED.
    They have, which is why our economy is surging, jobs are plentiful, and people have money. Wtf more do you want? Read an economists report to see how good things are! No, you won't.. you're content to live in this bubble where the economy is in tatters and unemployment is magically 20% because Harper says so.

Hell, I'd be voting for them.
    Given all that you've been wrong about so far, you probably should considering you're too uninformed to make a proper decision.

They have lost the votes by their own actions and not due to anything anyone else is doing.
    No, they lost votes because people like you are too stupid to educate themselves, and keep repeating INCORRECT Harper talking points. There's a reason conservatives are generally dimbulbs, because theyre used to be told how to think and what to do.

The small number number of die-hard Liberals like you that are supporting the party are being outnumbered by the open minded ones deciding Canada needs a change
    A change how? Like i described in every other thread? So wer're going to change a good economy for what.. the same good economy? The same good job numbers for.. what, the same? Wait, they'll get rid of gay marriage because hey.. a majority of idiots don't think it's 'moral', despite being a human right.. hey, they have religion to tell them how to act and what to think. Don't need those social programs, and fuck anybody who does, oh well...

That's the kind of canada you want? Go live in Texas.

The only way things can go is WORSE, and that's exactly how it'll happen with Harpers Mulroney/Reagan/Thatcher retread of trickle-down economics and program slashing, on top of huge tax cuts for the wealthy which will result in being thrown into huge debt AS HAS ALWAYS HAPPENED BEFORE WITH THIS KIND OF CONSERVATIVE POLICY. Do you think, with the same models and strategies, that it'll somehow magically turn out different? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Harris was a retread of Mulroney who was a retread of Reagan and thatcher doing the same.

Why is this so hard for you to comprehend, are you too busy bashing us over on SF to bother to read ?

Neocons.. always exactly the same. Run back to your little bubbleworld filled with jesusfreaks and fundie morons. Methinks they're more your speed.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information