Thread: Britain ready to take in Guantánamo prisoners

Default Britain ready to take in Guantánamo prisoners

Britain ready to take in Guantánamo prisoners

Deal will help Obama to close down terror jail

Britain is preparing to receive foreign terror suspects from Guantánamo Bay so that Barack Obama can shut it down, The Times has learnt.

Government sources say that Britain now supports moves to rehouse the detainees, despite previous refusals to help President Bush.

A Downing Street official said that a process to deal with the detainees was being put in place and that decisions “would be for the Home Secretary to decide on a case-by-case basis”.

The issue is the subject of intense negotiations within Whitehall. The Foreign Office appears much keener on the idea than other departments, which will have to deal with the suspects’ immigration status and whether they will need special housing and cash benefits. Having foreign terror suspects with no links to the UK housed here inevitably will provoke controversy.

“Of course the Foreign Office wants to do it, they want to get off to a good start with Obama,” said a Whitehall source. “This is the sort of thing that will require a Cabinet-level decision.”

Britain accepts that the prison should be closed, according to a diplomatic source, and that the US is going to need help to close it. The Government is supporting a call from Portugal for EU members to resettle detainees. The letter from the Foreign Minister Luis Amado to his EU counterparts follows weeks of internal EU discussions.

Germany has said that it is considering taking in detainees. Mr Amado plans to raise the issue at a meeting of EU foreign ministers this month. It is also on the agenda at an EU General Affairs and External Relations Council meeting.

Late last year the Bush Administration sent a number of European allies, including Britain, a list of detainees, cleared for release by the US military, who face persecution in their home countries. The US State Department cabled about 100 countries for help in closing the jail.

The entreaties were met largely with refusals, but there is a desire to help Mr Obama, who has vowed to begin moves to close the prison as soon as he takes office this month. The President-elect has not made any formal request for help, but there have been talks between the US State Department and his transition team and he has made clear that he will exert pressure on Europe to take prisoners no longer deemed a threat.

The US military says that of the 248 prisoners still in Guantánamo Bay, “approximately 60” have been cleared for release. One move being discussed in Washington is for the US to take in 17 Chinese Uighurs, who cannot return to China, as an opening gesture. Mr Obama’s plan is for the most dangerous detainees – between 30 and 80 men – to be taken to the US for formal trials. This presents problems, however, as evidence against inmates such as Khaled Sheikh Mohammed, the self-confessed mastermind of the September 11 attacks, was obtained through duress.

Britain ready to take in Guantánamo prisoners - Times Online
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

my mind is messed up, i thought it said "britney is ready to take in guantanamo prisoners", i was like "what?"

^^ that would be truly cruel and unusual
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    my mind is messed up, i thought it said "britney is ready to take in guantanamo prisoners", i was like "what?"
    me too...

A*O

Looks like Australia will be taking some too.

Terror suspects held at the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay could be secretly resettled in Australia within the year.

US authorities have approached Australia and Britain about resettling detainees of the notorious prison, located at a US sovereign naval base in Cuba, in the wake of President-elect Brack Obama's plan to shut the prison within two years.

The Times of London reported on Thursday that Britain was preparing to take Guantanamo Bay detainees to allow the Obama administration to shut down the prison.

The Rudd government is now considering quietly accepting detainees, the Australian newspaper reported on Friday.

A spokesman for Acting Prime Minister Julia Gillard told the newspaper that detainees could be accepted in Australia under strict conditions, but that there would be no wholesale intake of former detainees.

Ms Gillard's spokesman said each Guantanamo Bay inmate would go through "rigorous assessment processes" before being resettled.

Opposition leader Malcolm Turnbull demanded transparency on the issue.

"There does not appear to be any legal basis under which Australia could hold the Guantanamo Bay detainees in custody," Mr Turnbull said.

"Mr Rudd needs to be upfront with the Australian people and say whether he intends to resettle Guantanamo detainees into the Australian community as migrants."

The US has cleared around 60 detainees for release, but they can't be returned to their home nations because of security concerns.

AAP
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Why isn't the U.S. taking them all? We created this mess, why are we palming our problem off on our allies?

Thread Information