Thread: By 2015, deaths will surpass births in the EU, study reveals

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default By 2015, deaths will surpass births in the EU, study reveals

By 2015, deaths will surpass births in the EU, study reveals

London, Aug 29, 2008 / 01:36 am (CNA).- Eurostat, the European Unionís statistical service, has released a report indicating that by the year 2015, deaths in the region will outnumber births, and that by the year 2060, for every person above the age of 65 there will only be two people of working age.

According to the BBC, this severe demographic winter, the result of the drop in the birth rate and the increase in abortions in many countries of the European Union, will lead to a continual decrease in Europeís population starting in the year 2035.

Eurostat also said that the current population of Europe is 495 million. In 2035 it will reach its apex of 521 million, from which it will fall until 2060, when the population will be 506 million.

The report also said that the index of retirees versus working-age people will increase from 25 percent currently to 53 percent by the year 2060. That is, for every retiree above the age of 65, there will be only two people working.

This index could reach as high as 60 percent in some states of the EU, including Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Romania.

By 2015, deaths will surpass births in the EU, study reveals

OMFG WE NEED MORE WHITE HONKEY BABIES!!!!!!!!!

CRACKERS GET FUCKIN PLS KTHNX!

</snark>
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    OMFG WE NEED MORE WHITE HONKEY BABIES!!!!!!!!!

CRACKERS GET FUCKIN PLS KTHNX!

</snark>
    Well,we sure as heck can't depend on yo ass!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'll assume this trend can also be attributed to the decline of the Catholic faith in Europe as well as the increasingly oppressive cost of living in these countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post

This index could reach as high as 60 percent in some states of the EU, including Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Romania.

Oh, and the aging population in this countries is ALL because of the reduced births. It's got something to do with, say, most of the young people there choosing to migrate out in search for better opportunities.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I don't think we should be too concerned about this. We don't need as many people as we have on the earth anyway. As you said, Aella, the aging population is a massive factor. I was only reading recently that our aging population could become so Financially Dependant it would blow out the federal budget (in AU).
    ssabmud

Thread Information