Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Killed in Cancun Bar Attack

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Well maybe you should have stayed on the reservation.
    Don't you ever go explore other places when you're on vacation? Sometimes you can get yourself into places you wish you haven't gone. Sarcastic at all?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

For the record, I went to a few bars in Cancun, shocking I know, and there WERE donkeys in the one bar we went to...just walking around eating grass and shit. So yes, there ARE donkey shows...kinda. I'm sure after a few tequila's it could be quite a show!

Ha!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    gee, i don't even want to imagine what you're like when you are trying.

yeah, all people who have been there. unlike you who only has the articles and none of the practical experience. you can keep posting articles, we're still not going to think you have anything near actual travel experience in mexico. news reports and travel advisories always exaggerate and err on the side of caution. always. and for all your fearmongering and statistics, you don't know what the actual reality in those places is like. get over it and go take a cruise somewhere totally safe and boring. although i hear the sea sometimes has waves so you might want to chain yourself to the railing just in case, and wear a helmet.
    Let me put it this way. I am not saying that Mexico is one gigantic hellhole of a country where you face certain death as soon you set foot in there. However, my initial impressions of your early posts on this thread was that you were minimizing the danger and the violence there. For that reason, I posted statistics and advisories to counter what I thought you were asserting. And I don't have to travel all over the world to have an idea what the specific situations countries are. What people do is survey a broad variety of sources -- news, DoS advisories, and yes, anecdotal reports from friends -- to make an assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    But people are already well aware of it via the media and travel advisories. It's like anywhere else, you only hear the worst on the news. I offered an alternate perspective that included personal experience to give a more well rounded view on the subject. You're the one who is resisting the idea that it is indeed possible to go to Mexico and not get killed or kidnapped, I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept.
    Let me clarify that I do respect your point of view, and I do honestly think its great that you had a very enjoyable trip without incident. However, common sense still dictates that you have to weigh one person's story against other information that is being reported about a particular place.

I agree that it is possible to to go Mexico and not get robbed, or killed or kidnapped. Maybe what we disagree on is the level of risk of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Don't you ever go explore other places when you're on vacation? Sometimes you can get yourself into places you wish you haven't gone. Sarcastic at all?

Of course, but I'm not afraid of people just because they aren't the same color as I am.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Let me put it this way. I am not saying that Mexico is one gigantic hellhole of a country where you face certain death as soon you set foot in there. However, my initial impressions of your early posts on this thread was that you were minimizing the danger and the violence there. For that reason, I posted statistics and advisories to counter what I thought you were asserting. And I don't have to travel all over the world to have an idea what the specific situations countries are. What people do is survey a broad variety of sources -- news, DoS advisories, and yes, anecdotal reports from friends -- to make an assessment.

Let me clarify that I do respect your point of view, and I do honestly think its great that you had a very enjoyable trip without incident. However, common sense still dictates that you have to weigh one person's story against other information that is being reported about a particular place.

I agree that it is possible to to go Mexico and not get robbed, or killed or kidnapped. Maybe what we disagree on is the level of risk of that happening.
    like effie said, travel advisories very often exaggerate the real danger. take them with a grain of salt.
    also, remember mexico is a huuuuuge country. cancun and ciudad juarez and the towns with violence problems are but a small part of the country. and yes, the media does overblow things and make it sound way worse than it is.
    and yes, you have to take viewpoints into account but i don't think that of someone who only relies on the media and has no direct knowledge of the country or the culture and hasn't been there is very high on the list.

you're obviously not an adventurous traveller and are more risk averse and easily scared and that's fine if you don't want to go but don't you think acting like you know best when you've never even been to that country is a little, i don't know, obnoxious?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Of course, but I'm not afraid of people just because they aren't the same color as I am.
    Dang. I really don't think this is fair. I think you're deliberately ignoring the reality Cupcake was presenting.....I've experienced a number of places that are rough bars where only locals go, where guns and such were around... it's not about being afraid of a different skin color.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

This thread is bringing out a lot of interesting stuff......

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Dang. I really don't think this is fair. I think you're deliberately ignoring the reality Cupcake was presenting.....I've experienced a number of places that are rough bars where only locals go, where guns and such were around... it's not about being afraid of a different skin color.

And you think this statement is okay? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Its slummy and mostly natives and it was pretty scary especially me with blond hair blue eyes.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I didn't realize I implied that. I have no fear of any color. I've been close with many colors and nationalities my whole life. It wasn't that I was arfraid of their color. It was an uncomfortable situation in an area where I shouldn't have ventured. Nothing happened but. It very well could have. I can see what ever I add will be picked apart, so be it
    Rip Mom

like effie said, travel advisories very often exaggerate the real danger. take them with a grain of salt.
    also, remember mexico is a huuuuuge country. cancun and ciudad juarez and the towns with violence problems are but a small part of the country. and yes, the media does overblow things and make it sound way worse than it is.
    and yes, you have to take viewpoints into account but i don't think that of someone who only relies on the media and has no direct knowledge of the country or the culture and hasn't been there is very high on the list.
    I think that the American Government has actually downplayed the risks in certain areas of Mexico, because the last thing that the American Government wants to do is to blow up what's left of Mexico's tourism industry.

As you said earlier, Mexico is a huge country. One person's positive anecdotal experience of a pretty bad area does not render it safe. When it is an area where journalists are assassinated, police are assassinated, where car bombs are being exploded in public squares, and civilians have been targeted, it should give someone pause as to whether it is a super-safe place to visit.

you're obviously not an adventurous traveller and are more risk averse and easily scared and that's fine if you don't want to go but don't you think acting like you know best when you've never even been to that country is a little, i don't know, obnoxious?
    I don't think I've ever implied that I know best, but rather provided information about the dangers of Ciudad Juarez and some other places in Mexico. It is not an inconsiderable risk.

I doubt that I'm easily scared or non-adventurous. And I think first we would actually have to agree on what the term means. Does it mean backpacking close to the border of North Korea or Iran? Does it just mean touring places and not staying on some resort compound? People probably have differing ideas about that.

I don't think the American government concerns itself with the Mexican tourism industry.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think that the American Government has actually downplayed the risks in certain areas of Mexico, because the last thing that the American Government wants to do is to blow up what's left of Mexico's tourism industry.

WTF?!

I backpacked all over Central America in 1998. Mexico to Nicaragua and everything in between. Mexico was not unsafe to travel, IMO. Not for a developing country. The only major inconvenience were paramilitary in Chiapas who kept shaking us down on busses. Plus, ugly discrimination when people mistook me for an American.

In the coastal areas in the South you can walk around even as a girl at night. Harrassment, yes, violence no. We didn't get robbed either.

I only felt unsafe in the port cities of Honduras. Their public transportation and taxi system is dodgy and their authorities, too. We had a lot of shit happening to us. Same with El Salvador, practically no police.

Everything else was fine, though. I loved Guatemala, I keep raving about it. We got shaken down there, too, but all in all it was very laid-back. Nicaragua was fine, too. Some people say Belize is boring, but to me it was like Jamaica, I loved it. Cool rastafari people taking us home, great local parties. I digress.

Compared to Africa, Central America is a family resort. Yes, there is crime, but if you look dirty and sweaty like us, no one bothers you significantly.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

And you think this statement is okay? Really?
    Okay? Why not? The native part? Slummy? Natives, meaning its not where tourist would normally venture. Natives can be protective of their territory and not welcoming of foreigners coming to their turf. That was what we felt. Not one english speaking person we came in contact with...unlike cancun. Not english writing on anything no english on a menua all eyes were on us, I think it was normal to feel a bit scared or at least on guard. Why are you making such a big deal out of my post?. If you you want to make something of my statement knock yourfself out. Guess you're trying to portray me as a racist????? Pffft.
    Rip Mom

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information