Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 167

Thread: 8 Killed in Cancun Bar Attack

  1. #61
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default

    I would rather go to Belize. But I have heard/read/seen pics/etc that Belize City is kinda rundown and slummy, and very very NATIVE!

    Of course I would think of that as 'local color' (ha! ) and I could not afford to travel down there anyway.

    *About fifteen years ago I had a big thing about visiting or moving to Belize.

  2. #62
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,882

    Default

    belize has one or two nice mayan ruins and a whole bunch of beach resorts. it's good if you scuba dive. and yeah, belmopán/belize city - skip it! there is literally nothing there.
    but really, guatemala and the south of mexico are much, much more beautiful and interesting in terms of culture, scenery and food. and incredible mayan ruins.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  3. #63
    Elite Member VenusInFauxFurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back in the boxed wine.
    Posts
    21,279

    Default

    I've only been to Cozumel. Very touristy, but nice enough.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

  4. #64
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i really want to travel all around mexico but it's huge, you'd need months. i'd love to start by travelling around the yucatán peninsula (because it's a tourist trap, not because of shootings), it's supposed to be a natural paradise. i also want to see the cenotes and caves.
    Well, see you're more a cosmopolitan and nature-appreciative traveler than me. I'm the sort of cheapskate who would deliberately flock to touristy areas that are getting a bad rap just because it's more likely you'll find a cheap deal on a ballin' suite you couldn't afford otherwise.

  5. #65
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    belize has one or two nice mayan ruins and a whole bunch of beach resorts. it's good if you scuba dive. otherwise, guatemala and the south of mexico are much, much more beautiful and interesting in terms of culture, scenery and food. and incredible mayan ruins.
    But all the beach resorts are on the cays...the rest is pretty much unspoiled by 'elite tourism' right? I would like to visit a place that was kind of stuck in time, like maybe 1962ish..but with airconditioning(my only real 'modern' requirement. I will go shit in a hole and pee in a bush, wash in a stream, eat off a piece of tree bark, but I need my AC!!!!).

    I don't think Belize City has a single high rise in it. And I would not want to visit for ruins anyway. Traipsing around in the heat and humidity fighting off bugs just to see a collection of stones put together. Ugh. I would want to wander about the streets..shopping for interesting things, eating different and interesting foods, drinking interesting alcoholic drinks, getting the 'feel' of a place.

    Ruins suck! I can swim or something and sit and drink/eat while the others go see the ruins.

  6. #66
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Well, see you're more a cosmopolitan and nature-appreciative traveler than me. I'm the sort of cheapskate who would deliberately flock to touristy areas that are getting a bad rap just because it's more likely you'll find a cheap deal on a ballin' suite you couldn't afford otherwise.
    a friend of mine did that actually. went to mexico smack in the middle of the swine flu scare and got the most incredible deals in very ritzy resorts and had a super luxurious vacation with his gf and a bunch of friends. none of them got sick either. and they had the place pretty much to themselves (and all the staff too, they were waited on like kings).
    i admit, resorts are wasted on me. i'm too pale to lie in the sun and i want to avoid other people as much as possible, especially families with kids. and i hate big hotels and big pools and all that. i'd much rather be in a more rustic but smaller place with more like-minded folk and go on a hike or rent a bike and take pictures rather than lie on a beach all day (which i couldn't do without getting a horrible sunburn). or rent a cabin with friends and have lie in a hammock without feeling like i'm in some artificial vacation town with a whole bunch of other strangers on vacation.
    i can appreciate a nice hotel suite but it's really not important - as long as it's clean and there are no bugs, that's pretty much all i ask. not that a nice hotel isn't nice but it's not my priority. i'm a bit of a bum when i travel, and i'm super stingy with hotels - i'd rather spend money on restaurants or making the holiday last longer!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  7. #67
    Elite Member VenusInFauxFurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back in the boxed wine.
    Posts
    21,279

    Default

    Methinks Sputnik and I should vacation together.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

  8. #68
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    a friend of mine did that actually. went to mexico smack in the middle of the swine flu scare and got the most incredible deals in very ritzy resorts and had a super luxurious vacation with his gf and a bunch of friends. none of them got sick either. and they had the place pretty much to themselves (and all the staff too, they were waited on like kings).
    i admit, resorts are wasted on me. i'm too pale to lie in the sun and i want to avoid other people as much as possible, especially families with kids. and i hate big hotels and big pools and all that. i'd much rather be in a more rustic but smaller place with more like-minded folk and go on a hike or rent a bike and take pictures rather than lie on a beach all day (which i couldn't do without getting a horrible sunburn). or rent a cabin with friends and have lie in a hammock without feeling like i'm in some artificial vacation town with a whole bunch of other strangers on vacation.
    i can appreciate a nice hotel suite but it's really not important - as long as it's clean and there are no bugs, that's pretty much all i ask. not that a nice hotel isn't nice but it's not my priority. i'm a bit of a bum when i travel, and i'm super stingy with hotels - i'd rather spend money on restaurants or making the holiday last longer!
    Yeah, I like being left alone and avoiding families with kids too. (This is why I try to go places right in between high and low seasons.) Not to mention spending more time checking out the local restaurants, bars and attractions.

    I'm not even much for laying in the sun all day at the pool or beach (I have the opposite problem, I get way too dark for my liking), but I do like having the trappings of luxury all around me. If a resort were completely deserted, it would be my idea of the perfect vacation because I can get my own drinks, thanks.

  9. #69
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'm a bit of a bum when i travel, and i'm super stingy with hotels - i'd rather spend money on restaurants or making the holiday last longer!
    My dad always told us to be that way. 'Stay in a pensione, you're never in the room on vacation anyway, spend your money on other things'.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  10. #70
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    25,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeelover View Post
    My husband and I honeymooned in Cancun in 1991 and we were considering going back next spring for our 20 year anniversary, but now we are considering going elsewhere because we don't want to be stuck just in the hotel zone. When we were there in 1988, 89 & 91 one of the things we liked to do the most was go into downtown Cancun and visit the small, less touristy restaurants.

    Anyone know how things are in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo?

    About 10 years ago a coworker of my husband who was an executive at one of the Big 3 here in Detroit was kidnapped in Mexico city for almost 2 weeks and was repeatedly gang raped by a drug gang. They managed to get him even though he had a driver/guard with him. Scary. Though living in the burbs of Detroit I often ask myself why I'm so scared to go to certain places when my own area has so much violent crime. I guess it just comes down to being less at risk on your own turf because generally speaking you know where to go, what to avoid, etc. and don't look like a fish out of water.
    2010 U.S. State Department report on kidnapping in Mexico, as well as highway travel:

    Kidnapping, including the kidnapping of non-Mexicans, continues to occur at alarming rates. So-called express kidnappings, i.e., attempts to get quick cash in exchange for the release of an individual, have occurred in almost all of Mexico’s large cities and appear to target not only the wealthy but also the middle class. Concerned U.S. citizens, as well as U.S. businesses with offices in Mexico, may contact the U.S. Embassy or any U.S. consulate to discuss precautions they should take.

    Kidnapping in Mexico has become a lucrative business, whether the kidnappings are actual or ‘virtual’. A common scam throughout Mexico is ‘virtual’ kidnapping by telephone, in which the callers typically speak in a distraught voice in a ploy to elicit information about a potential victim and then use this knowledge to demand ransom for the release of the supposed victim. In the event of such a call, it is important to stay calm, as the vast majority of the calls are hoaxes. Do not reveal any personal information; try to speak with the victim to corroborate his/her identity; and contact the local police as well as the Embassy or nearest consulate.

    Criminal assaults have occurred on highways throughout Mexico; travelers should exercise extreme caution at all times, avoid traveling at night, and should use toll (“cuota”) roads rather than the less secure “free” (“libre”) roads whenever possible. Always keep car doors locked and windows up while driving, whether on the highway or in town. While in heavy traffic or stopped in traffic, leave enough room between vehicles to maneuver and escape, if necessary. In addition, U.S. citizens should not hitchhike or accept rides from or offer rides to strangers anywhere in Mexico. Tourists should not hike alone in backcountry areas, or walk alone on infrequently visited beaches, ruins or trails.

  11. #71
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,882

    Default

    ^^^
    oh look, more random stats, and still no actual knowledge.

    Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Methinks Sputnik and I should vacation together.
    hehe totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    My dad always told us to be that way. 'Stay in a pensione, you're never in the room on vacation anyway, spend your money on other things'.
    yeah i learned it from my dad too. we always stayed in little pensions when we travelled as a family but had spectacular meals and saw so many different places and experienced way more than we would have at so-called 'family-oriented' resorts.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  12. #72
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    55,113

    Default

    My sister took her kids down there. They had a great time and couldn't stop talking about the lizards and parrots. Funny how that made so much more of an impression than seeing pyramids.

    Edit: they lived, were not kidnapped
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

  13. #73
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    25,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    oh look, more random stats, and still no actual knowledge.
    I guess you didn't look -- no stats. Just a safety advisory from the State Department.

  14. #74
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,882

    Default

    how about actually going somewhere and telling us about it instead of just posting travel advisories that anyone interested in going can access themselves?
    we get it, there's a travel advisory, these places have been labelled 'dangerous'. you made that point about eleventy posts ago.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  15. #75
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    2010 U.S. State Department report on kidnapping in Mexico, as well as highway travel:

    Kidnapping, including the kidnapping of non-Mexicans, continues to occur at alarming rates. So-called express kidnappings, i.e., attempts to get quick cash in exchange for the release of an individual, have occurred in almost all of Mexico’s large cities and appear to target not only the wealthy but also the middle class. Concerned U.S. citizens, as well as U.S. businesses with offices in Mexico, may contact the U.S. Embassy or any U.S. consulate to discuss precautions they should take.

    Kidnapping in Mexico has become a lucrative business, whether the kidnappings are actual or ‘virtual’. A common scam throughout Mexico is ‘virtual’ kidnapping by telephone, in which the callers typically speak in a distraught voice in a ploy to elicit information about a potential victim and then use this knowledge to demand ransom for the release of the supposed victim. In the event of such a call, it is important to stay calm, as the vast majority of the calls are hoaxes. Do not reveal any personal information; try to speak with the victim to corroborate his/her identity; and contact the local police as well as the Embassy or nearest consulate.

    Criminal assaults have occurred on highways throughout Mexico; travelers should exercise extreme caution at all times, avoid traveling at night, and should use toll (“cuota”) roads rather than the less secure “free” (“libre”) roads whenever possible. Always keep car doors locked and windows up while driving, whether on the highway or in town. While in heavy traffic or stopped in traffic, leave enough room between vehicles to maneuver and escape, if necessary. In addition, U.S. citizens should not hitchhike or accept rides from or offer rides to strangers anywhere in Mexico. Tourists should not hike alone in backcountry areas, or walk alone on infrequently visited beaches, ruins or trails.
    Dude, you are such a downer. Here we were having nice convos about travel and you come along like you're the anti-Mexico chicken little. "Mexico's sky is falling! And exploding! And will kidnap, rape and kill you!"

    People with common sense either know those helpful pointers you posted up there or will look it up before taking a trip to such a place. Don't go if you're so afraid, nobody will force you, we promise.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 9 killed in latest attack at China school
    By celeb_2006 in forum Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 12th, 2010, 08:40 AM
  2. Fergie -Bikini Candids at a Resort in Cancun(2/15/09)
    By whtever in forum Latest Photos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 17th, 2009, 03:27 PM
  3. Man killed in dog attack at Ving Rhames home
    By Laurent in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: September 1st, 2007, 02:54 AM
  4. Big baby causes sensation in Cancun
    By latinaforever in forum News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
  5. Attack Squirrel Killed
    By Sojiita in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 11th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •