Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Killed in Cancun Bar Attack

Whatever. Washington, DC was the murder capitol of the world in the early to mid 80's.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    just stick to disney and the club med then, but beeyotch was actually there, she didn't just post a whole bunch of articles.
    Yes, I usually go by State Department reports and hard numbers and statistics. Here's a Reuter's story (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN29121638):

HIDALGO - Suspected drug hitmen killed the mayor of the small town in Tamaulipas state near the Gulf of Mexico on Aug. 29, police said. Mayor Marco Antonio Leal was shot dead by gunmen in sport utility vehicles as he drove afternoon through his rural municipality on Sunday. It was not clear why he was targeted.

REYNOSA - Suspected drug hitmen threw three grenades in the center of the city in Tamaulipas state, across from McAllen, Texas, on Aug. 28, injuring 15 people, Reynosa city hall authorities said.

CIUDAD VICTORIA - Two small car bombs exploded in the northern city, in Tamaulipas state, early on Aug. 27. The blasts, the second and third modest bombs planted in a vehicle this month in the city and the fourth in Mexico since July, caused no casualties but damaged buildings.

MONTERREY - Soldiers killed four suspected drug hitmen and arrested three others after they were ambushed on the outskirts of the northern industrial city in Nuevo Leon state on Aug. 27, the army said.

ACAPULCO - Police found 14 bodies on Aug. 27 across the Pacific beach resort of Acapulco, popular with U.S. tourists but also a key transit point for narcotics in the state of Guerrero. The bodies of several of the bound and blindfolded victims bore messages threatening rival cartels.

CIUDAD JUAREZ - Police found the charred bodies of nine people in a burnt-out car on the highway in Chihuaha state between the cities of Chihuahua and Ciudad Juarez, across from El Paso, Texas, early on Aug. 27.

SAN FERNANDO - Marines found the bodies of 72 people in an empty building at a remote ranch in Tamaulipas state on Aug. 24. The victims, believed to be Central and South American migrant workers and including 14 women, were blindfolded and bound before being lined up against a wall and shot dead. One Ecuadorean man survived and alerted Mexican authorities.

CIUDAD JUAREZ - A police chief and a government worker were killed in the border city on Aug. 23, a day in which a total of 10 people were killed in drug violence in Ciudad Juarez, in Chihuahua state.

greysfang Whatever. Washington, DC was the murder capitol of the world in the early to mid 80's.
    That's what I said earlier, Greysfang, except that DC topped out at 470. Ciudad Juarez is at 2,000 with four months to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    That's what I said earlier, Greysfang, except that DC topped out at 470. Ciudad Juarez is at 2,000 with four months to go.

Factor in the difference in population. DC about half a million, Juarez about 2.5 million.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Well Mohandas, you have all these statistics and news reports and I have my own experience and that of all my relatives and friends who have lived there all their lives.

I'm not arguing that the reports aren't true, I'm saying they give a misleading perception of what life is like there--the stats and news make it sound like an absolute shithole with bombs, bullets and drug lords lurking around every corner to kill you. It's an exaggerated depiction that just breeds fear and that simply is not what the locals' lives are like.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Factor in the difference in population. DC about half a million, Juarez about 2.5 million.
    You have to factor in targeted killings of police officers, mayors and other public officials. And the fact that major public events are being canceled out of concerns for public safety. That never happened in DC.

Beeyotch I'm saying they give a misleading perception of what life is like there--the stats and news make it sound like an absolute shithole with bombs, bullets and drug lords lurking around every corner to kill you. It's an exaggerated depiction that just breeds fear and that simply is not what the locals' lives are like.
    Below is the mayor of Juarez himself commenting about public safety. And the head of the volunteer committee of public safety commenting, too. It doesn't sound good:

"Because of threats, because of criminal activities that exist in Juarez, we don't want to take any risks," Juarez Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz told the El Paso Times.
    “Right now Ciudad Juarez should not be celebrating,” adds Dr. Arturo Valenzuela Zorrilla, head of the volunteer committee of public safety.

ONe other thing to keep in mind, almost all--okay, many--public officials, especially the federal police, are incredibly corrupt and many times in cahoots with the drug cartels. No one is surprised when they are killed.

No I don't.

Ciudad Juarez does not have 2.5 million people, it has about 1.4M. It is only when you include El Paso that the two cities together get around 2.5 million, and of course for this discussion that would be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    No I don't.
    Yeah, you do. It's one thing if drug gangs are just shooting each other up. It's another thing when police officers are being ambushed and massacred and public officials are being assassinated. That creates disorder and terror in the population. Which is reflected in the statements by the mayor and the public safety head.

No I don't. I'm talking murder rate, straight percentages, not adding in emotional content. The same way a small town of 400 in the midwest who loses a family of 4 in a home invasion can have the same murder rate as a big city like NY.

I thought you were a numbers person anyway.

Are Foreigners no longer suppsoed to be tourists in the United States because our terrorist threat is high?

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Well Mohandas, you have all these statistics and news reports and I have my own experience and that of all my relatives and friends who have lived there all their lives.

I'm not arguing that the reports aren't true, I'm saying they give a misleading perception of what life is like there--the stats and news make it sound like an absolute shithole with bombs, bullets and drug lords lurking around every corner to kill you. It's an exaggerated depiction that just breeds fear and that simply is not what the locals' lives are like.
    this.

you can spout all the statistics you like but the fact is, the experience on the ground is a different one. and that's something statistics don't reflect. so how about trusting someone who's been there and knows because right now you're just pasting statistics about a place you've never travelled to and know nothing about firsthand besides the fact that your wife travelled through latin america as a kid in the 1970s. like beeyotch said, yes, the reports are true but that doesn't mean it isn't a misleading perception of what life there is actually like. there are bad reports about monterrey but you know what, i know 3 guys at the tech (really good private university there) and they live perfectly normal lives, even if that's not the image you'd form in your mind if you just read the statistics.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You know what else creates terror and disorder in the population? Harping on and focusing only on murder stats and ignoring the context in which things occur. And like I said, they do occur, nobody's denying that (so I'm not sure why you keep posting the same kind of stats.)

But people would never leave the house if things were as terrifying and deadly as these sensationalist headlines makes it seem. Yet they do, and many, many more people carry on with their lives unharmed. You take whatever precautions you sensibly can to be safe--like maybe forgoing a huge public parade--and you get on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    You know what else creates terror and disorder in the population? Harping on and focusing only on murder stats and ignoring the context in which things occur. And like I said, they do occur, nobody's denying that (so I'm not sure why you keep posting the same kind of stats.)

But people would never leave the house if things were as terrifying and deadly as these sensationalist headlines makes it seem. Yet they do, and many, many more people carry on with their lives unharmed. You take whatever precautions you sensibly can to be safe--like maybe forgoing a huge public parade--and you get on with your life.
    So would you actually recommend the place as a tourist destination?

What if someone for some reason had to make a trip to El Paso for business and was in town for a few days. Would you recommend they cross over and spend a few hours in Ciudad Juarez? As a tourist, not knowing anyone in the town?

from what i've heard (never been there), i don't think ciudad juarez is a big tourist destination - it's more of a place to visit if you know people there. basically, a big border town.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    from what i've heard (never been there), i don't think ciudad juarez is a big tourist destination - it's more of a place to visit if you know people there. basically, a big border town.
    Oh, ok. Never been there myself either. Was in Tijuana, but that was 35 years ago! IIRC they had bullfights and people went there to drink and party.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information