Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 8 Killed in Cancun Bar Attack

My best friend has lived in Mexico since she got married in 1992, and she's a grey-eyed redhead, so no, I'm not getting your point. There's high crime areas right here in America, but I guess its not as scary because there's no "natives". **rolls eyes**
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Well it is as ridiculous to suggest that there is not a 'difference' in resort areas vs non-resort areas in developing nations as it is to suggest there is no difference in wealthy suburban enclaves vs inner city high crime areas.

It is just a reality, and most tourists going to a large resort like Cancun are going for the beaches and such, not so much as a 'meet the locals' and see their culture and experience the 'true and genuine' Mexico-where a lot of people are poor, and there are drug problems.

I think the response to the 'natives' comment is being just a little bit overblown. Touchy much? Damn.

*yes I think cupcake was jumped on a bit too much.

oh for fuck's sake, you can still go to mexico. lots of people travel there and are perfectly fine, but personally i would avoid the super touristy areas like acapulco and cancun since you are actually more likely to get robbed there. brazil can be super dangerous too but if you know where to go and where not to go and if you don't walk around with a map in your hand, a camera around your neck and a fanny pack - an outfit that just screams "tourist! rob me!" you should be fine.
    mexico is getting a lot of bad press lately because yes, violence has escalated, but the vast majority of people who live and work there or travel there for a holiday are absolutely fine, including my blonde, blue eyed mexican friend (no, not all the natives are brown) who lives on her own in mexico city, and another good friend (blonde, blue eyed kiwi this time) who spent 6 months living on her own in oaxaca learning spanish, and this after a few months in a mountain village in guatemala doing the same. now, if you're the tourist type who likes to stay in a resort and have everything be nice and pretty and comfortable and don't like to venture out into the traffic and cities where the natives live then no, it's not for you, find a club med in the caribbean or something but if you're more into travel as opposed to tourism then i would still travel to places like mexico, brazil, colombia, central america (and i don't mean the gringo resorts in belize and costa rica), india, south east asia, bolivia, peru, etc...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I just got back from Juarez, the city with the worst reputation for drug crime, kidnapping, murders, etc. I stayed with my relatives and since we had nothing to do with anything even remotely criminal, we were FINE and perfectly safe. We even *gasp* went out at night. Still alive.

For all the media hype about it, it's not as bad as it's portrayed. It's actually relatively safe if you do your research about where to go and are careful about not doing anything stupid. I mean you wouldn't just casually walk around the streets of South Central at night as a tourist, would you? A little research and common sense goes a long way.

I think there is a distinct difference in 'travelers' and in 'tourists' as Sput stated.

yeah it was a bit of an overreaction(initial comment), but the reaction to her comment was a bit of an overreaction as well IMO.

And of course my reaction to the overreaction to her overreaction comment was, in actuality, also an overreaction! *kills self*

My wife's family drove through Mexico in the late 70's. All the way through, up and back from Honduras to Colorado. It was a pretty traumatic experience. Apparently they were getting shaken down for bribes about every 50 miles or so by police officers there.

^^^
    now that's another good example of lack of common sense and what not to do, especially in the late 70s, when honduras, guatemala and the south of mexico were full of guerrillas and paramilitary groups. my parents have a bunch of friends who did similar stuff around that time but they were hippies in vans types and there were no children. i also know a crazy canadian dude who rode a bike from canada to colombia. in the mid 80s. essentially cycling his way through about 4 or 5 ongoing wars along the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I think there is a distinct difference in 'travelers' and in 'tourists' as Sput stated.

yeah it was a bit of an overreaction(initial comment), but the reaction to her comment was a bit of an overreaction as well IMO.

And of course my reaction to the overreaction to her overreaction comment was, in actuality, also an overreaction! *kills self*

travel opens your mind. tourism gets you a tan.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    travel opens your mind. tourism gets you a tan.
    I have to agree that if you are going for the 'tourist' thing, then just choose a closed gate resort for that. That would be the sensible thing to do. Some island in the Caribbean where part of it is just closed off and is it's own complete functional entity.

I hate traveling anyway(not the 'being' there, just the 'getting there') but I would rather do the 'travel' thing once there than the 'tourist' thing myself.

Omg, I think I might have known the same crazy cycling canadian, well he was a friend of a friend, actually. This guy got into a bad accident though, so maybe it really was a crazy idea.

Yeah, I'll still be staying away since the Canadian government has put out a travel and tourism warning since the last batch of Canadians had their throats slit in their hotel rooms
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    now that's another good example of lack of common sense and what not to do, especially in the late 70s, when honduras, guatemala and the south of mexico were full of guerrillas and paramilitary groups. my parents have a bunch of friends who did similar stuff around that time but they were hippies in vans types and there were no children. i also know a crazy canadian dude who rode a bike from canada to colombia. in the mid 80s. essentially cycling his way through about 4 or 5 ongoing wars along the way...
    My FIL was kind of a hippie at the time. My wife is still pissed at him about the whole thing.

More news about Ciudad Juarez -- not just drug cartel people get killed there (http://blogs.star-telegram.com/crime_time/2010/09/322-slain-august-was-deadliest-month-yet-in-ciudad-juarez.html):

322 slain: August was deadliest month yet in Ciudad Juarez

There aren't many good months in Ciudad Juarez as the deadly cartel war rages on there.

But August turned out to be the deadliest month since the cartel war began in 2008, as 322 people were slain in the city, the El Paso Times reported.

"It has been a violent month," Carlos González, spokesman for the Chihuahua state attorney general's office, told the Times. "The statistics unfortunately reflect it."

On Tuesday, the month ended with the killing of four people after gunmen attacked a family party, the Times reported

And this story from a couple of weeks ago (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/mexican-drug-cartels-weapon-border-war-car-bomb/story?id=11383665):

Mexican Drug Cartels' New Weapon In Border War – The Car Bomb

As violence along the U.S.-Mexico border escalates, Mexican drug cartels have found a new and lethal weapon, borrowed from the bloody annals of Mideast terror – the car bomb. This summer, the Juarez drug cartel used a remote-controlled car bomb to kill four and wound 20 in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico's murder capital, creating a massive blast within walking distance of downtown El Paso, Texas, and a second car bomb exploded outside a police station in Ciudad Victoria.

An internal Department of Homeland Security document describes the car bomb used in Ciudad Juarez as the latest tactic that the armed wing of the Juarez cartel, La Linea, has lifted from Islamic jihadis. "La Linea," says the document, "has used terror tactics generally seen in Iraq and Afghanistan – mass video-recorded decapitations, targeting of civilians, and most recently the July 15 VBIED [car bomb] – to instill fear among rivals, law enforcement and the general public.

^^^
    well that was a dumb thing do with kids.

as for all the horror stories, if you've ever been to a third world country for extended periods of time (and i have), yes, the stories in the press are horrible, but when you're there, you realise that people get on with their lives and you don't feel any more unsafe than you would anywhere else and that despite the fact that violence is higher than other places, you don't see it. except for isolated incidents where tourists are affected, the violence is limited to certain areas and to people who have some kind of involvement. and this from a pale blonde girl who has backpacked around and taken buses and boats in central america (where crime rates are just as bad as mexico, and even worse in some cases), peru, brazil, turkey, morocco, eastern europe when it was still quite dodgy (including yugoslavia, croatia and bosnia and herzegovina just a couple of years after the war)...

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Omg, I think I might have known the same crazy cycling canadian, well he was a friend of a friend, actually. This guy got into a bad accident though, so maybe it really was a crazy idea.
    lol no not the same guy then. even crazier is that this guy was about 50 when he did it, and a fairly well known canadian politician. and big, blonde, and speaks spanish with the craziest gringo accent. and he made it all the way to colombia without a scratch. crazy fucker (and also pretty awesome).

Yeah, see, while I admire the balls and lust for adventure of someone like that, I could never do it myself!

And about Cd. Juarez, these things are happening but from having been there myself--in August, mattero'fact--and hearing from people who actually live there, the hellish picture that the news paints doesn't accurately reflect daily life there. It's not a war zone and people don't fear for their lives, they just go about their daily routine and use their common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Yeah, see, while I admire the balls and lust for adventure of someone like that, I could never do it myself!

And about Cd. Juarez, these things are happening but from having been there myself--in August, mattero'fact--and hearing from people who actually live there, the hellish picture that the news paints doesn't accurately reflect daily life there. It's not a war zone and people don't fear for their lives, they just go about their daily routine and use their common sense.
    For comparison purposes, in Washington, DC, during the height of the drug wars the murder rate was about 470 per year. In Juarez, it's 2,000 just through August. And, they just canceled Independence Day there (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/08/30/99875/ciudad-juarez-cancels-independence.html):

MEXICO CITY — How bad is it in Ciudad Juarez, the murder capital of the world on the northern border with Texas?

Bad enough that they are canceling the Sept. 16 Independence Day celebrations. Juarez residents will have to celebrate in the safety of their own homes.
    "Because of threats, because of criminal activities that exist in Juarez, we don't want to take any risks," Juarez Mayor Jose Reyes Ferriz told the El Paso Times.
    “Right now Ciudad Juarez should not be celebrating,” adds Dr. Arturo Valenzuela Zorrilla, head of the volunteer committee of public safety.

This isn't any ordinary Independence Day coming up next month either. It’s the bicentennial of Mexico’s 1810 declaration of freedom from the Spanish crown. In the capital and Mexico's other major cities, large celebrations are planned.

But Ciudad Juarez is a killing field in Mexico’s drug wars. So far this year, at least 2,006 have been killed. Since 2008, the death toll in the Juarez area tops 6,380 people, according to a tally kept by Molly Molloy, a researcher at the New Mexico State University at Las Cruces and maven of Frontera-List, an e-information group on Mexico.

just stick to disney and the club med then, but beeyotch was actually there, she didn't just post a whole bunch of articles.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information