Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: 8 Killed in Cancun Bar Attack

Oh boy....

I visited Cancun in 1997 with a girlfriend from college. Stayed a week on the coast, partied all hours of the night in a variety of bars in every corner of the city. Hung out with so many different people and even invited some (gasp!) Cancun "natives" back to our hotel to party! And OMG neither my friend OR I got mugged/raped/stabbed OR beheaded. WOWZERS!
    Also, we ventured off via bus to several Mayan ruins, plus an underwater park that was a good 40 miles away from Cancun. Didn't get mugged/raped/stabbed or beheaded during that time either.
    I'd go again in a heartbeat. Mexico is absolutely gorgeous. Fuck the media!
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I just did some googling and it seems it's now actually joint highest with Finland and Portugal. The report I remember was from a few years back. Shock rise in Scotland's murder rate - The Daily Record
    Yeesh that's depressing, there are certain parts of Glasgow that are so embroiled in gang culture that it's barely safe to drive through. Sooo travellers, if you're visiting Scotland, try Edinburgh!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I found people in Glasgow to be really friendly, even the druggies. Totally unintelligible but nice.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

We were in Glasgow for New Years's Eve once. It was a blast and I never felt unsafe. There was lots of vomit, though.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by CherryDarling View Post
    Oh boy....

I visited Cancun in 1997 with a girlfriend from college. Stayed a week on the coast, partied all hours of the night in a variety of bars in every corner of the city. Hung out with so many different people and even invited some (gasp!) Cancun "natives" back to our hotel to party! And OMG neither my friend OR I got mugged/raped/stabbed OR beheaded. WOWZERS!
    Also, we ventured off via bus to several Mayan ruins, plus an underwater park that was a good 40 miles away from Cancun. Didn't get mugged/raped/stabbed or beheaded during that time either.
    I'd go again in a heartbeat. Mexico is absolutely gorgeous. Fuck the media!
    Gasp... I've been to those places many many times too. I wasn't talking about those places gasp...been on a bus there in a cab there. Different ruins there, lagoons there, farms, there caves omg...and gasp I felt safe in all pf those places with... gasp natives omg...I can't count how mnay times I've been back there... wowzers...but not the area I originally mentioned.
    Im glad some people are above ever feeling uncomfortable somewhere. I wouldnt say f*** the media, they are doing their job, sometimes the sensationalize things but I like to know where and when crimes are being commited other places just as I do close to home.
    Back to topic.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Criminal occurrences are frequent in many U.S. cities, and tourists may be targeted. Canadians should exercise normal security precautions.

SAFETY AND SECURITY

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety. The purpose of this Travel Report is to provide Canadians with up-to-date information to enable them to make well-informed decisions.

Street crime can spill over into commercial, hotel, and entertainment areas. Riots, though rare, occasionally occur; these are usually confined to the poorer districts of major cities, but the violence can spread to central commercial and hotel areas. Full cooperation is recommended when stopped by police.

Violent crime remains a serious concern in Florida. Criminals have demonstrated that they will use violence with little or no provocation. Many attacks have occurred in the Miami area, and others have taken place on rural roads and at interstate highway rest areas. Some rest areas have dusk-to-dawn security on site (which is indicated on the highway sign). Proceed cautiously when exiting a freeway (including Interstate 95) into large urban centres, especially after dusk. Theft has increased, particularly from trunks of parked cars in the North Miami Beach area, South Beach and at airports. Be alert, as criminals use a variety of techniques to steal personal belongings.

Passport theft is on the rise in the United States. Travellers should ensure that their travel documents are secure at all times.

United States Travel Advice and Advisories | Government of Canada

That does it. I'm never going to the States ever ever again!
    WHAT!!!! I guess this means I can't go to Miami anymore. I'm too scurd.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Stay away from southside of st pete at night too. Most cities have high crime areas.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I found people in Glasgow to be really friendly, even the druggies. Totally unintelligible but nice.
    Oi!

Maybe they sounded nice because they were unintelligible
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Oi!
    I have no idea what you're saying friendly stranger.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Bloody tourists

I've been to Mexico three times in the past 5 years and I always felt safe. One time we travelled through Yucatan by bus, one time by rental car and one time we stayed in a resort. I love Mexico because it's beautiful and because I never felt threatened by anyone there, not even in the poor areas. People have always been very nice to us.
    It's sad that those drug cartells might ruin the tourism in Yucatan which is a very important income for the natives.

(09-03) 10:32 PDT MONTERREY, Mexico (AP) --

Mexican soldiers killed at least 30 suspected cartel members in two shootouts near the U.S. border in a region that has become one of biggest battlegrounds in the country's drug war, authorities said Friday.

Twenty-five of the suspects were killed Thursday during a raid on a building in Ciudad Mier in Tamaulipas state. The other five were killed Friday in neighboring Nuevo Leon state, during a shootout on a highway leading to the border, the Mexican Defense Department said in a statement.

All 30 gunmen were believed to belong to the Zetas gang the group suspected of killing 72 migrants nearly two weeks ago in what could be Mexico's biggest cartel massacre to date.

Violence along Mexico's northeastern border with Texas has reached warlike proportions amid fighting between security forces and two feuding drug gangs the Zetas and the Gulf cartel, former allies who split this year and started a vicious battle for trafficking routes in the area.

One of two survivors of the massacre last month an Ecuadorean said the killers identified themselves as Zetas and gunned down the migrants because they refused to work for the gang.

A military aircraft flying over Ciudad Mier on Thursday spotted several gunmen in front of a building, the Defense Department statement said. When ground troops moved in, gunmen opened fire, starting a gunbattle in which 25 suspected cartel members died and two soldiers were wounded.

Authorities rescued three people believed to be kidnapping victims in the raid, according to the statement. The military said troops seized 25 rifles, four grenades, 4,200 rounds of ammunition and 23 vehicles.

Earlier, a military spokesman said the gunmen were believed to be on a property controlled by the Zetas.

The second shootout erupted Friday morning outside the town of Juarez in Nuevo Leon, on a highway leading to McAllen, Texas.

Soldiers went to the area after receiving an anonymous tip that armed men were circulating in a black SUV, according to a military spokesman. He provided the information on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal his name. The spokesman said the armed men opened fire, provoking the shootout that killed five gunmen, all of whom were believed to be Zetas.

Drug violence has claimed more than 28,000 lives since President Felipe Calderon intensified a crackdown on cartels after taking office in late 2006

Read more: Mexico: Soldiers kill 30 in troubled border state

OMG twitchy that was racist against Scottish people!!! You said you couldn't understand them and that's mean!!!

You couldn't pay me enough money to go to Mexico. Montezuma's Revenge is enough to keep me out. Nothing to do with skin colour. But I'm not a big fan of beaches anyway, so no loss for me.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Bloody tourists
    O.M.G!!! That's been me this week! I ****ing hate them!!!
    Free Charmed.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread Information