Thread: George (pot-meet-kettle) Bush accuses Russia of 'bullying and intimidation'

Default George (pot-meet-kettle) Bush accuses Russia of 'bullying and intimidation'

Bush accuses Russia of 'bullying and intimidation'
    associated press
    President Bush on Friday accused Russia of "bullying and intimidation" in its harsh military treatment of Georgia, saying the people in the former Soviet republic have chosen freedom and "we will not cast them aside."

Bush ratcheted up his rhetoric against Moscow as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was in Tbilisi, Georgia to pursue a diplomatic solution to the week-old crisis. Standing alongside Rice, pro-Western President Mikhail Saakashvili said he had signed a cease-fire agreement with Russia that protects Georgia's interests despite concessions to Moscow.
    Rice said all Russian troops "must leave immediately" and said she had been told that Russian President Dmitry Medvedev will sign an identical pact.
    The rush of events came as Bush began a two-week holiday from Washington. He left the White House after his remarks and flew to his ranch in Texas. Rice is to arrive there early Saturday to brief the president about the showdown between Moscow and Tbilisi over two separatist provinces in Georgia.
    "Georgia's sovereignty and territorial integrity must be respected," said Bush, speaking just outside the Oval Office.
    With just five months remaining in his administration, Bush faces one of his biggest foreign policy challenges in dealing with a suddenly assertive Russia, along with unfinished wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the deeply troubled search for peace in the Middle East. Bush's influence is waning as the world turns its attention to the race to determine who will succeed him.
    Bush said that Russia, with its air, sea and land attacks in Georgia, had damaged its relations with the United States and other Western powers.
    "Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century," the president said. "Only Russia can decide whether it will now put itself back on the path of responsible nations or continue to pursue a policy that promises only confrontation and isolation.
    "To begin repairing relations with the United States, Europe and other nations and to begin restoring its place in the world, Russia must respect the freedom of its neighbors," Bush said.
    The White House has hedged on what consequences Russia might face. The administration is considering expelling Russia from international groups such as the Group of Eight industrialized nations. Questions also have been raised about U.S. cooperation with Russia in space.
    "We need to see where this all ends up," White House deputy press secretary Gordon Johndroe said on Air Force One, flying to Texas with Bush. "We are hopeful that we can continue cooperation with the Russians and that's across the board. But a lot of this depends on Russia, and what Russia's actions are in the near future. Right now their actions have been inconsistent ... with the fundamental principles of a Europe whole, free and at peace. So cooperation on a wide range of issues going forward depends on the actions that Russia takes."
    Even before the crisis in Georgia, tensions between Washington and Moscow have been rising over disputes such as the independence of Kosovo, NATO's expansion toward Russia's borders and U.S. plans for a missile defense system in Eastern Europe. Moscow was infuriated when the United States and Poland reached a deal Thursday to install a U.S. missile defense base on Polish territory.
    Still, Bush said, "The Cold War is over. The days of satellite states and spheres of influence are behind us."
    The United States has rushed humanitarian aid to Georgia, using U.S. military planes that put American forces in the midst of the showdown with Moscow.
    "Moscow must honor its commitment to withdraw its invading forces from all Georgian territory," Bush said.
    The president said Americans might be perplexed why the United States had drawn a line in the sand in defense of Georgia, an impoverished country that is largely unknown on the world stage.
    "In the years since its gained independence after the Soviet Union's collapse, Georgia's become a courageous democracy," Bush said. "It's people are making the tough choices that are required of free societies. Since the Rose Revolution in 2003, the Georgian people have held free elections, opened up their economy, and built the foundations of a successful democracy."

Aligning itself firmly with Washington, Georgia sent troops to Afghanistan and Iraq. Bush visited Georgia in a show of solidarity and promised that the United States would stand with the former Soviet republic.
    "The people of Georgia have cast their lot with the free world, and we will not cast them aside," the president pledged on Friday. Bush on Friday called President Toomas Hendrik Ilves of Estonia to talk about the situation in Georgia.'

Elite Member

Georgie, you gave up the moral highground when you invaded Iraq. Not to mention, you used up the armed services, so you dont have the ability to threaten them. Now, STFU and sit down.

Every time you think he can't get more asinine, he proves you wrong.
    Stupidity fused with arrogance: a dangerous combo.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Georgia doesn't have any importance in regards to any pipelines that we would want does it?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Yep. A major pipeline.

the former US ambassador, the tard John Bolton, neocon extraordinaire basically said the US should intervene and kick russia back across the georgian border because there's a MAJOR pipeline going through it..

yeah. way to start WW3
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I know...
    Grimm, we don't go to war for oil.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

of course not.

something about your freedoms, or WMD's..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bush is determined to start WWIII before he gets out of office.

Gold Member

To be fair to Bush, Russia started this shit. We're not going to do anything about it though aside from thumping our chests and bitching because we don't really want to go to war with Russia.

actually, georgia started it. Russia just over-responded.

George Bush is possibly the biggest dumb ass ever. His stupidity and hypocrisy scare me.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    actually, georgia started it. Russia just over-responded.
    Depends on your POV I guess. Every single international body on the planet regards South Ossetia as being part of Georgia. Georgia has the right to send troops into South Ossetia to put down separatist rebellions.

Russia has no right to invade a sovereign nation to assist separatists who are friendly to Russia. They fucked up.

Elite Member

Did you know that McCain's foreign policy advisor is a paid lobbiest for Georgia? Did you know that a few weeks before this began Karl Rove*just by coincidence* took a 'vacation' to Georgia? I kid you not. Quite the coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    Depends on your POV I guess. Every single international body on the planet regards South Ossetia as being part of Georgia. Georgia has the right to send troops into South Ossetia to put down separatist rebellions.

Russia has no right to invade a sovereign nation to assist separatists who are friendly to Russia. They fucked up.
    Actually, South Ossetia wants to be independent. Most of the population is a separate ethnic group from the Georgians, with their own language. Also, over 70 percent of the people in South Ossetia have Russian citizenship, so it's not surprising that Russia would come to the defence of thousands of its citizens.

Thread Information