Thread: AIDS group says Zimbabwe using rape as a tool of terror

Default AIDS group says Zimbabwe using rape as a tool of terror

The Zimbabwe government's youth militia use the most horrific tactic rape as a tool to terrorize those suspected of sympathizing with the opposition. President Robert Mugabe's ruling party has been carrying out a campaign of political terror since opposition supporters contested his election.
    Today's New York Times paints a graphic picture of how many of Zimbabwe's women have been abused, humiliated, and raped, often in front of their families. State hospitals have turned away rape victims, who are often in pain and bleeding, and looking to prevent pregnancy, HIV, or other STDs.
    To find out how an upcoming power-sharing deal might mean the perpetrators never see justice, read more.
    The advocacy group AIDS-Free World hopes that laboratory and photographic evidence of all these atrocities, along with documentation of the victims' stories, will help make a strong legal case in a potential war crimes trail down the road . . . if there is a trial.
    Mugabe's party and the opposition are rumored to sign a power-sharing deal this weekend. Some believe that Mugabe's party will not agree to the deal unless it includes immunity from international justice. Should the deal include immunity from such atrocities like rape for political gains, if it means the violence will end sooner?

AIDS Group Says Zimbabwe Using Rape As a Tool of Terror | AIDS, Headline, Human Rights | CitizenSugar - News and Politics

Rape as a terror tool has been going on for decades in Africa, most notably in Darfur.

But the world turns a blind eye to it all.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

I said it before and i'll say it again, Africa is a loss. SOmeone pave over it and build condos.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Well, what are you supposed to do with that area?
    The people within it are destroying themselves, and it's not all because they are poor and sweaty.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Rape as a terror tool has been going on for decades in Africa, most notably in Darfur.

But the world turns a blind eye to it all.
    Not everyone turns a blind eye to it. I follow events in both Darfur and Zimbabwe. I'd love for the US to step in and get tough on either or both, but we're too busy in the sandbox (i.e. the middle east).

Thread Information