Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandmother arrested on race charges after telling rowdy Asian students to 'go home'

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Grandmother arrested on race charges after telling rowdy Asian students to 'go home'

Grandmother arrested on race charges after telling rowdy Asian students to 'go home'

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 12:27 AM on 25th July 2008

Sickened: Jo Calvert-Mindell was carted her off to the police station charged with using racially aggravated words

After being woken for the third time in one night by a group of drunken and noisy students, Jo Calvert-Mindell was at her wits' end.

The former policewoman got dressed, went outside and shouted at them: 'Why can't you go back to where you come from and make some noise there? I bet your families and neighbours wouldn't put up with it.

'You don't care about us and do just as you like. What gives you the right to frighten my elderly neighbours, cause damage and keep us awake at night?'

She also reported the incident to police, who came and dispersed the eight students.

The 51-year-old grandmother was astonished when four months later she was arrested and accused of being a racist. It turned out that two Asians in the group had complained to the police.

In April, Miss Calvert-Mindell, who has never been in trouble with the police before, was charged with using racially aggravated threatening words or behaviour under section 5 of the Public Order Act.

In May, she appeared at Folkestone Magistrates' Court in Kent, where she denied the charge.

The case hung over her until the Crown Prosecution Service decided to drop it last week, admitting there was little chance of conviction.

Now she is filing a complaint about the way the police treated her.

Yesterday, Miss Calvert-Mindell, a Liberal Democrat councillor and community volunteer, said: 'The last thing I am is a racist.

'I have a totally inclusive attitude to different races and cultures - I don't care if you are black, white, green or a Martian.

'Their colour had nothing to do with it - it was their behaviour.

'I think there is something very wrong in our society when a resident can't go out and try and prevent crime and disorder and encourage the defendants to go back home and that they can then play the race card to completely absolve themselves of responsibility for that behaviour.

'The authorities today are so sensitive to being criticised for being racist that any claims of racism just raises their antennae, instead of using common sense.'

The incident that led to her court appearance happened in the early hours of November 8 last year on the Hales Place estate in Canterbury.

Miss Calvert-Mindell, who has a daughter and three grandchildren, was woken three times by students from the nearby University of Kent, who were shouting drunkenly and kicking bins.

Fed up after months of sleeplessness caused by noisy students she put her clothes on and went down to tell them to be quiet.

She said that when she shouted at the students 'all I meant was that they would not do that at their family homes wherever they had come from in England.'

But one of the students said she was being racist. Two Asians in the group later complained to police.

Assistant district crown prosecutor Carol Chastney said: 'Following a review we decided to discontinue the proceedings against the defendant as there was no longer sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction.'

Kent Police refused to apologise. Superintendent Chris Hogben said: 'An allegation was made that was fully investigated. A case was presented to the CPS and the decision was made to prosecute.

'If Miss Calvert-Mindell would like to discuss our response and the conduct of officers I would urge her to contact me direct.'

Hauled to court on race charge, ex-WPC who told rowdy youths: 'Go back where you come from' | Mail Online

They should of said...go back to where you came from. We're all immigrants on this stolen land old lady.

If she was screaming at the group of kids, and not just at the two Asians, then I don't see how she could be called a racist. Hell, if a group of assholes were keeping me up in the middle of the night, regardless of race, I'd be pissed too.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    They should of said...go back to where you came from. We're all immigrants on this stolen land old lady.
    ^^What? They're in England.

Plus I don't know if the racist charge necessarily stands up since 1) only 2 out of the 8 were Asian and 2) they were kicking trashcans and disrupting the neighborhood in the middle of the night. The "go back where you came from" line is always inflammatory imo, but come on, these kids were behaving like assholes waking everyone up.

A*O

Yes - this happened in good old England which is awash with migrants these days who go there for the free education, free housing, free healthcare, maternity benefits and other taxpayer handouts. And the locals are getting mighty pissed off about it. I'm not defending this woman's choice of words but I absolutely understand her frustration and reading various threads here about illegals in the US there's quite a few GR posters who feel the same way as she does.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Who woudn't yell at a bunch of drunk kids?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

She was telling rowdy kids to bugger off home, I think she would have said it regardless of their colour, our police force are a joke

Don't kids have anything better to do than piss off people? And i HATE that excuse that they are bored

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Yes - this happened in good old England which is awash with migrants these days who go there for the free education, free housing, free healthcare, maternity benefits and other taxpayer handouts. And the locals are getting mighty pissed off about it. I'm not defending this woman's choice of words but I absolutely understand her frustration and reading various threads here about illegals in the US there's quite a few GR posters who feel the same way as she does.
    The migrants come to work, and work they do - they benefit the economy enormously: contributing 6bn in the year 2006. Eastern European migrants are considered especially to be good workers with a strong work ethic, willing to put in the hours and do the jobs to a standard that natives failt to attain. They don't come over to scrounge, they work and pay taxes the same as native Britons do, thus if they're contributing towards the system that provides schooling and healthcare there is no reason why they should not benefit from it.

The Daily Mail type immigrant hysteria is overblown and disproportionate, and is based on xenophobia rather than true concerns regarding the effects that immigration has.

The lady in the op may be native herself, but at some point her ancestors were not, such is the extent to which immigration has formed the UK throughout the centuries.The 'go back to where you came from' comment was rather bigoted, as she seemed to have assumed that because of their skin colour they weren't national Brits, when such a factor is actually no indicator whatsoever.
    You just smile and roll your eyes to the back of your head.

It sounds like it could have been racist to me. Yep not all of them were Asian, but I bet it was the Asian ones she noticed, which made her shout that line. Stuff like that pisses me off. I know someone who is British Asian and a paramedic. He's had people he is trying to help, tell him to 'piss off back to where he came from', many times. They're too stupid to realise that he was born here.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Who woudn't yell at a bunch of drunk kids?

Me.

Last night there was a bunch of 15-16 year olds hanging round the opposite site of the road. There was obviously some sort of pathetic 'gang war' going on, they had sticks and were talking about 'killing someone' and 'showing no mercy'
    They were there for about half an hour, right next to someones house. Shouting and swearing and threatening violence. I felt so bad for the poor inhabitants of that house...they would have got a beating if they'd gone out. Eventually the police turned up and the kids melted away.
    I was tempted to shout out of the window at them, but I could imagine them knocking down our door and beating the crap out of me and hubbo!
    So no, I wouldn't shout at drunk kids, pack instincts kick in..I think this woman was brave/foolish to go and shout at them.

I think it is ridiculous that she could be arrested for saying this even if it WAS racist. Even if she'd used an epithet. Sorry, I think people need to distinguish between hurt feelings and real injury. She was yelling at them because they were being a bunch of assholes, not because of where they were from. No discrimination there.

I do understand that it is very hurtful, and I have never flung an epithet at anyone ever, but I am just not on board with the whole concept of criminalizing things people say, unless it is inciting violence or threatening bodily harm.

A*O

Well I'm sorry but if you are behaving like an antisocial asshole then your race or ethnicity isn't the issue. Unfortunately there are antisocial assholes out there who rely on their ethnic or racial origins to give them instant "protection" if anyone dares tell them they are antisocial assholes.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

God forbid anyone in the US or UK has to stand up to the idiot behavior of a non-white person. FFS you'd better watch your damned words!

Any asshole disrupting the peace of people in their own fucking homes with their fucked up behavior has forfeited their right to be treated with "verbal sensitivity" IMO.

A bunch of snot-nosed self-entitled little assholes were just pissed that someone called them on their bullshit and actually took the time to try and find some way to fuck her over and get payback instead of saying to themselves when later sober "WTF were we thinking last night?"
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Gold Member

I wish the old lady would sue the police. Are we going to be carted off to jail now if we offend someone? I'm not from England but this is frightening that this could happen. Yes, racism is real, but it isn't like the lady committed a hate crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    ^^What? They're in England.

Plus I don't know if the racist charge necessarily stands up since 1) only 2 out of the 8 were Asian and 2) they were kicking trashcans and disrupting the neighborhood in the middle of the night. The "go back where you came from" line is always inflammatory imo, but come on, these kids were behaving like assholes waking everyone up.
    I should of read the whole article I see 'grandma, arrested, race charges' and I automatically assume its an American problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information