Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIV positive outsiders banned from America

Default HIV positive outsiders banned from America

People living with HIV are banned from traveling to twelve countries, including Armenia, Colombia, Iraq, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Sudan, the United States and Yemen.
    China just lifted its ban, as a result of pre-Olympic human rights pressure. Yesterday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon urged these nations to change their immigration laws which "uphold stigma and discrimination" during a major summit on HIV/AIDS.

Andrew Sullivan forcefully advocated for a removal of the discriminatory ban, in a recent Washington Post op-ed. He pointed out that not even leprosy or tuberculosis is considered grounds for inadmissibility to the US. Sullivan wrote about 1993, when Congress wrote the ban into law:
    It was when I, a legal immigrant, became infected. With great lawyers, a rare O visa (granted to individuals in the arts and sciences), a government-granted HIV waiver and thousands of dollars in legal fees, I have managed to stay in the United States. Nonetheless, because I am HIV-positive, I am not eligible to become a permanent resident.
    Sullivan, a conservative political commentator, explained that every year he must leave the country to reapply for the waiver. Even though he has lived in and paid taxes to the US for almost 25 years, he and his family must face the insecurity that he may not be allowed back. For further discussion, read more

CitizenSugar | Breaking News, Together. - News and Politics

Gold Member

To clarify: people with active tuberculosis are usually denied a visa to the US. People who have had it in the past can be denied a visa though it's unusual, and people who are recovering from it (i.e. have had it in the past few years) can get a medical waiver to come as long as they continue their treatment.

I'm not aware of our policies on leprosy.

As for HIV...yes, a positive HIV test can slam the door shut on you if you want to immigrate to the United States. This is not a new policy; it's been in place for a long time, probably ever since we figured out what HIV was. Since we don't have universal free healthcare in this country, there is no guarantee that HIV+ individuals will continue treatment once here (since they may not be able to afford it and they definitely can't get insurance), so they will eventually become a burden to the public healthcare system and there is a higher risk of them spreading the infection if their viral load shoots up.

Personally I'm OK with us barring HIV+ individuals by and large from migrating here for the reasons stated above. The US government's first obligation is to us, not to immigrants...no matter how sad their stories are.

I do personally know of a couple of people who were granted waivers after a positive HIV test and who were given green cards. An HIV test is part of the process for anyone wanting to become a permanent resident and a positive result is an automatic denial. The waiver comes later. We also automatically deny visas to people with serious drug and sex offenses, regardless of whether they are "spent" in the immigrant's home country.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    This is not a new policy; it's been in place for a long time, probably ever since we figured out what HIV was.
    I could be mistaken, but I believe this was one of the initial recommendations from the CDC during the "AIDS scare" in the 80s. It was probably one of the few the Reagan administration was willing to implement.

Eli

Fair enough IMO.

Yes, my husband had to undergo a plethora of medical tests before he was granted permanent residency to America, including those for tuberculosis and HIV. He also had to get a huge amount of immunizations - I mean, a HUGE amount to make sure that nothing infectious was spread.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I think this is disgusting. Are they next going to ban people with genetic conditions because they might breed and spread their condition? People who are HIV+ can't even take a short vacation to the U.S.? Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by IheartParis View Post
    I think this is disgusting. Are they next going to ban people with genetic conditions because they might breed and spread their condition? People who are HIV+ can't even take a short vacation to the U.S.? Sad.
    Agreed. This is not only about 'migration' as in becoming citizens or permanent residents(and I am on the fence about that one, I think it should be a factor to be assessed possibly but not an automatic denial) but even to travelers.

What happens if Chicago gets the Olympic bid it is seeking?-the city is in the top four finalists.

Another stupid 'one law fits all' policy IMO. Where everything is seen in black and white, while the reality, naturally, is nearly every shade of gray in between. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Yes, my husband had to undergo a plethora of medical tests before he was granted permanent residency to America, including those for tuberculosis and HIV. He also had to get a huge amount of immunizations - I mean, a HUGE amount to make sure that nothing infectious was spread.

Where was he coming from? What immunizations was he lacking?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    Where was he coming from? What immunizations was he lacking?
    Doesn't matter; anyone wanting to immigrate to the US has to have up-to-date immunizations and screens for tuberculosis and HIV.

Well,sure. We don't have anyone with HIV up in here...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Well,sure. We don't have anyone with HIV up in here...
    Given that people with HIV will find it difficult to get insurance or receive coverage for the condition and we don't have universal healthcare, I can sort of understand us not wanting to bring in HIV-positive outsiders.

If the point of the ban is to attempt to "control" the epidemic, then it's silly. We're probably one of the most HIV-infected nations in the western hemisphere.

Gold Member

I agree with the ban. We shouldn't do anything to encourage the spread of HIV/AIDS in America.

There have also been studies that have proven that allowing HIV positive immigrants would cost taxpayers millions of dollars in Medicaid/Healthcare expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

People living with HIV are banned from traveling to twelve countries, including Armenia, Colombia, Iraq, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Sudan, the United States and Yemen.
    The US are among good company there.... Ahem. I think this law is disgusting. You can't even have a holiday there if you have HIV? Please!

I wish they'd put that kind of energy into banning ILLEGAL immigrants.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

^^Agreed.

I agree with banning anyone who has a communicable disease, especially one as ravaging as HIV. There are enough cases here already, why take more?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information