Thread: Modern Geishas in Japan — pretty tradition or outdated idea?

Default Modern Geishas in Japan — pretty tradition or outdated idea?

In Japan, being a geisha is a steeped in tradition but a fading career choice for the modern woman. Years ago, girls needed personal connections to become a geisha. But one 23-year-old named Komomo (Little Peach) looked for the job the same way many modern women job hunt by email.
    She was lured to the field for love of country. She says, "I wanted to know more about my own country and that's why I chose this world. I wanted to make Japanese history and customs a part of my daily life, not just wearing a kimono occasionally but every day and living life as they did in the old days."

Despite her high-minded reasons for becoming a geisha, she admits she's judged harshly on her appearance, and though she loves her job, she worries about the future. There are no pensions for geisha and they are not permitted to marry.
    The number of geisha in Japan peaked at 80,000 in 1928, but now only 1,000 are left. Two reasons are shrinking business expense accounts zapped after the economic woes of the 1990s, and politicians who now stay away fearing scandal.
    A dinner with a geisha present can cost around 80,000 yen ($785) a person, depending on the venue and number of geisha. In a nod to the modernizing world, men are now geisha, too, serving the growing number of professional women in Japan willing to fork out from $1,000 to $50,000 a night for male companionship.

Is this a tradition worth saving? Do you like the idea of modern co-ed geisha?

0 Comments 1,293 Views

0 Comments 1,801 Views

0 Comments 1,038 Views

0 Comments 1,131 Views

0 Comments 1,101 Views

0 Comments 1,099 Views

0 Comments 1,097 Views

0 Comments 1,004 Views

0 Comments 1,070 Views

0 Comments 1,066 Views

Modern Geishas in Japan — Pretty Tradition or Outdated Idea? | Citizen Poll, Geisha, Japan | CitizenSugar - News and Politics

See, the thing with Gei-sha's is that the name translates to "art person". Basically, back in the day brothel girls were expected to entertain with dance, song, and then take their clients to bed as it was part of the package. Somewhere around 1600 they separated the prostitution from the rest, so Gei-sha's were merely to be masters of entertainment. Conversation, dance, art, singing, music, poetry became their domain. They were untouchable, unless the lady wanted to bed the client herself which was her choice.

In that respect, I think it's a fascinating tradition. To devote all your skills to ataining the highest level in those areas, music, art, and all the rest is i think is admirable.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

GRIMM,
    Is that you????? Did you just say that something is admirable?

Um, lots of things are admirable
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think it's a pretty idea, and I don't understand why this woman is being 'harshly judged' just for being a Geisha. It looks a lot prettier and seems classier than that weird Ganguro shit that other Japanese ladies do.

Hit By Ban Bus!

some of their costumes are so pretty

SVZ

uhh...male geishas are nothing like female geishas.

A*O

There was a great docco here recently about a Japanese country girl who went to the big city to learn how to be a geisha. They followed her through the training process and it's TOUGH. Because she wasn't 'refined' enough she had to reinvent herself, change her accent, learn all the esoteric skills and accomplishments of a geisha while working like a dog behind the scenes as an maid/gofer for the more senior girls. She eventually became a miko (sp?), an apprentice geisha but it will be along time before she graduates. It's a tough life and you have to be totally committed to it so yes, I admire these women too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    In a nod to the modernizing world, men are now geisha, too, serving the growing number of professional women in Japan willing to fork out from $1,000 to $50,000 a night for male companionship.[/url]
    $50,000 a night?! I guess Elliot Spitzer's "companion" was a bargain after all.

Thread Information