Thread: Soldier calls Iraq war illegal, will not report to duty

Default Soldier calls Iraq war illegal, will not report to duty

On June 15, soldier Matthis Chiroux will not report for duty to be deployed to Iraq. At a press conference yesterday, the 24-year-old, who comes from a poor family and has served since he graduated high school, explained that he refuses to be part of the problem in Iraq.

Not one to shrink from service, Matthis has served in Afghanistan, Germany, Japan, and the Philippines. An emotional Matthis told a room full of veterans:

I stand before you today with the strength and clarity and resolve to declare to the military, my government and the world that this soldier will not be deploying to Iraq. My decision is based on my desire to no longer continue violating my core values to support an illegal and unconstitutional occupation . . . I refuse to participate in the Iraq occupation.
    This week veterans who dissent from the Bush Administration's version of Iraq have been testifying before Congress. They have described systematic abuses and unreported occurrences of civilian deaths.
    Unlike many of the thousands of deserters who have fled to Canada since 2003 to escape prosecution, Matthis has vowed to remain in America and fight the charges.

Soldier Calls Iraq War Illegal, Will Not Report to Duty | AWOL, Headline, Iraq | CitizenSugar - News and Politics

Did he suffer that hair during one of his tours?

btw, the story doesn't report that he's already been on 4 tours of duty in Afghanistan and Iraq, got honorably discharged and NOW they're trying to send him out again through some stop-loss shit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

There's an American soldier who did the same thing except he said he would gladly serve in Afghanistan if they'd send him there. Can't remember his name at the moment but they're still in the process of trying to court marshal him.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Did he suffer that hair during one of his tours?

btw, the story doesn't report that he's already been on 4 tours of duty in Afghanistan and Iraq, got honorably discharged and NOW they're trying to send him out again through some stop-loss shit.
    If that's the case, he's done his duty and they need to let him live his life. They're only doing that stop-loss shit because they can't get enough warm bodies to join up. It's really sad. I'm just glad my fiance finished his inactive reserve duty waaaaaaaay back in 2001 (active in the USMC from 1993 to 1997).

Yea, he did his time. He already did way more than a lot of these pro war die hards ever have and ever will. Let him be.

Well I am grateful for his service to our country. Yet, if he has already served in Iraq, why now has he decided to be a conscientious objector? Seems pretty odd to me.

If you're honorably discharged and are asked to serve again, you can just say no, without any explanation.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

not lately I don't think.. what with all the rejigging of the rules.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^Yup. Just because you left the military years ago after serving doesn't mean they won't call you back.

Here's an essay written by a soldier going through just that:
    Return to Sender - Iraq Veteran Gets the Call Again

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Well I am grateful for his service to our country. Yet, if he has already served in Iraq, why now has he decided to be a conscientious objector? Seems pretty odd to me.

If you're honorably discharged and are asked to serve again, you can just say no, without any explanation.
    Uh, no...you can't. In all branches of the US military you are in the inactive reserves even after you've been honorably discharged; you CAN be required to serve during that time if you are called upon to do so. That hardly ever happened before, but now with recruiting problems and an extremely unpopular war, we are treating our servicemen and women like shit by keeping them deployed more than what is advisable.

Read up on stop-loss.

Stop-loss policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My fiance is off the hook now, but he joined the USMC in 1993. He was honorably discharged in 1997. His time in the inactive reserves did not end until 2001, and he was even promoted from lance corporal to sergeant during that time.

Guess they weren't able to brainwash him to the full extent in bootcamp. Good for him, I wouldn't go either, lock my ass up....a warm bed and 3 meals a day beats dying for a country that doesn't give a shit about you.

You wouldn't be dying for them anyway, you'd be dying for Bush's lies and corporate greed. Nobody in Iraq sent a nice letter to the White House asking pretty please of they could be illegally invaded and occupied by a foreign power

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Guess they weren't able to brainwash him to the full extent in bootcamp. Good for him, I wouldn't go either, lock my ass up....a warm bed and 3 meals a day beats dying for a country that doesn't give a shit about you.
    They don't brainwash you in boot camp; they train you to follow orders without questioning them, which isn't exactly the same thing. We need soldiers to follow orders without questioning them because a split second's hesitation can be fatal in a combat situation.

Our military is 100% voluntary, and if someone enlisted after the Iraq War and hasn't served their full commitment yet then I don't have any sympathy for them.

I do sympathize with this guy because he has MORE than fulfilled his commitment to the US military. It's time for them to let him go home.

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    They don't brainwash you in boot camp; they train you to follow orders without questioning them, which isn't exactly the same thing. We need soldiers to follow orders without questioning them because a split second's hesitation can be fatal in a combat situation.

Our military is 100% voluntary, and if someone enlisted after the Iraq War and hasn't served their full commitment yet then I don't have any sympathy for them.

I do sympathize with this guy because he has MORE than fulfilled his commitment to the US military. It's time for them to let him go home.
    I'm not sure about the Marine Corps they never really gave a toot's about 'political correctness' but I heard that other basic training has gotten somewhat soft, though they may have cracked back down on it. I heard some recruits today are a far cry from before, they are the typical 'video game playing, spoiled me first' types that question authority, lack discipline, etc. etc.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
    I agree - when you choose to lace up the boots and march you give up all your freedom. Our military protects democracy, they don't get to practice it, and I'm thankful for that always as it even allows me to type these words.

I hope at some point stop-loss will be made unconstitutional, though I highly doubt that. I also think allowing POTUS to mobilize the National Grd for overseas deployment should be abolished.

We need a mandatory one year military service between ages 18-25 ... force all the rich and politicians kids into the firing line with the poor kids and watch how slow they are to send us to war in the future.

Thread Information