Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is everything about sexism for Hillary Clinton?

Default Why is everything about sexism for Hillary Clinton?

I can understand how hard it is to be a female politician, especially one running for President, an unprecedented moment in female politics... but seriously, I'm so sick of Hillary using her gender as a basis to attack her opponents. Don't get me wrong: it's a HUGE deal for her to have gotten as far as she has... she truly has proven herself to be a strong and viable candidate.. but where does her viability as a candidate end and her success as a result of continually crying "sexist" begin? Dont want to start a huge debate here, but it's just something I'm sick of. Just like Obama and his "change"...

Clinton says criticism of temper is sexism

WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton suggested yesterday that her Republican enemies have targeted her simply because of her gender, hinting that Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman's recent claim that she was too "angry" to be elected president was political sexism.

"When you run as a Democrat and, in particular, when you run as a Democratic woman, whether you're running at the local, state or national level, it's likely you're going to draw some unfriendly fire," Clinton told black and Hispanic women at a Manhattan campaign event yesterday morning.

"People will be attacking you instead of your ideas, they may impugn your patriotism, they may even say you're angry," she said.

Clinton went on to say Mehlman's recent comments about the former first lady's temper were a "badge of honor," adding, "There are lots of things that we should be angry and outraged about these days."
    Among them, Clinton told the audience at the Sheraton New York, are GOP-related lobbying scandals and the Bush administration's handling of Hurricane Katrina.

Mehlman spokesman Aaron McLear said, "With a far-left voting record, a history of overheated rhetoric and a predisposition for political divisiveness, Senator Clinton should not be surprised by criticism of both her ideas and temperament."

Clinton, who has stepped up her criticism of President George W. Bush in recent months, has sparred with White House political guru Karl Rove and first lady Laura Bush over the past few weeks, to the delight of her supporters.

Her comments came as Kathleen Troia "K.T." McFarland, a former Pentagon official under President Ronald Reagan, said she would challenge former Yonkers Mayor John Spencer for the Republican Senate nomination.

Clinton says criticism of temper is sexism -- Civil Rights, The White House, Newsday -- Newsday.com

Chelsea: There is still sexism in the US
    Chelsea Clinton said she was not aware of the extent of sexism in the United States until her mother's campaign.
    Speaking at the Young Democrats convention in the Research Triangle Park today, the former first daughter said she has been surprised by the things people have told her on the campaign trail about her candidacy.
    "I really didn't get how much sexism there was in this country until I was at a rally in New Hampshire and someone came up to me and said 'I just can't see a woman being commander in chief,'" she said.
    She said another woman told her that Hillary Clinton was "a little too smart."
    "It makes me uncomfortable," she said the woman told her.
    At another rally that she did not attend, she noted that two young men said, "with all seriousness, 'Iron my shirt.'" (Read more here about the incident.)
    She said she was also disturbed that some people think it's funny that there is a nutcracker of her mother in a "not respectful posture."

Chelsea: There is still sexism in U.S. | newsobserver.com projects

I've noticed that a lot of younger women don't always see the undertones of sexism in the world. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good, because the world must be getting better than it was when sexism was overt; and bad, because I think today's youth (not that I'm old) is a bit naive about how things "really" work.

I live in a small country town full of rednecks. Many, although democrats, will NOT vote for a woman OR a black. Unfortunately, it's that bad. I've even got a relative that refuses to vote for either, even though he likes and agrees with HRC more. He says he just can't vote for her because she's a woman.

That's the kind of thinking that still goes on every day. It's not always in your face. Much of it, I think, is just a hold-over secondary treatment we get that's just simmering under the surface. But it's still there. Hillary's not lying about the impact of it.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

I agree that maybe some youths are ignorant about the extent of sexism in today's society, but I still think it shouldn't work its way into almost everything Hillary has to say... it might be just me, but I cant help but feel like she uses gender norms-- in regards to society as a whole, not just the political realm-- as a fundamental tactic in her campaign.

Very simple. Hillary is counting on women to carry her just as Obama is counting on blacks to carry him. For the dems, it has become the gender versus race campaign.

You guys concentrate on the most idiotic things down there, skin color and gender.. who the feck cares
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Playing the victim to get the sympathy vote. Well, that's what it looks like, I mean crying any -isms. I don't know how effective that is as a political strategy cuz most ordinary people don't live their lives thinking of sexism or racism everyday. At least I don't want to live miserable like that feeling how I'm short-changed (doubly short-changed cuz I'm a female ethnic minority).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

You know if this woman thinks that other women are going to vote for her just because she's a woman, she's not that clever!
    Having seen a little of how she operates and stuff; I'd never vote for her (if I were an american) because I just don't believe a word she says. I'm not naive enough to think that politicians don't lie, but most "fudge" the issue rather than out and out bare-faces easily provable lies.....
    Free Charmed.

That's my point.. gender shouldn't be a fundamental point of interest when deciding which candidate to vote for, but that's all she's basing her campaign on.. vote for me because I AM the voice of progressive female change.. if you don't, you're a sexist.

It gets old real fast.

Yes, we've already tried that experiment - gave us the worst recession in years, people in their 30s still have never worked because of it.....

I also find her not quitting after 11 primaries suspect - why did she do that? Surely for the good of the party one would stand down so as not to split the vote? Esp when she had no chance of winning ..... that's stuborness an stupidity at it's finest.
    Free Charmed.

Well.. it's pretty much the same on the other side.. vote for me because I am the voice of racial progressiveness.. if you don't you're a racist

Dems are pretty much kind of screwed... anything is better than Bush but between McCain, Obama, and Clinton... it's kind of an amalgamation of dispassionate pseudopolitics.

Zee

At this point, I honestly don't know who to vote for in the election. Both candidates are irritating and the drawn out primary process continues.

Obama/Clinton ticket? Best/worst of both sides
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Anytime a demographic category becomes the focus of any campaign, it automatically becomes divisive- and wrong, IMO. Do people make choices based on gender, race, religion, etc.? You bet! But to pander to that aspect makes it look like a used car sales lot to me.

Vote for the best PERSON with the ideals and convictions you agree the most with. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Very simple. Hillary is counting on women to carry her just as Obama is counting on blacks to carry him. For the dems, it has become the gender versus race campaign.
    Even though he's won in states where the majority of the people are white? No one says that Hillary is counting on whites to carry her, so why assume that blacks can carry Obama? It seems to be people like you to make it gender versus race.
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky...

The reason why everything is sexism for Hillary is because her campaign is floundering and she needs an excuse. When she was the frontrunner she never used to talk about sexism.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Really. That's funny since I don't remember Obama coming out and telling black people to vote for him just because he's black. I do remember Hillary telling female voters to vote for her because she's a woman.

^ Well, I highly doubt Obama is dumb enough to just come out and say it, even if he does think it.

And LastLook, I can relate. There are a lot of people in my area that feel and think the same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information