Thread: 'Sorry' to be used in indigenous apology...

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default 'Sorry' to be used in indigenous apology...

January 15, 2008 07:16pm
    Article from: AAP

THE Federal Government will use the word sorry when apologising to the stolen generation.

Indigenous Affairs Minister Jenny Macklin has told The Bulletin magazine she is confident a flood of compensation claims will not follow the apology to indigenous Australians.

"The main reason for that if you look at experience over the last 10 years, the states and the territory have all apologised and you don't see a rush of claims against them,'' she said.

"There's evidence to demonstrate that giving an apology does not lead to liability.''

Ms Macklin said no one had taken the option of a class action against the Government since the children were taken.

An apology will not be made on Australia Day and Ms Macklin would not reveal the timing.

She has ruled out compensating the stolen generation, saying the money will be spent on improving living standards for indigenous Australians.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Crap....now watch the lawers go to town on this one.

something similar happened in canada with kids being taken away from their parents and raised in residential schools where a lot of them were sexually and physically abused. horrible. i don't know if the canadian government ever apologised for it though.
    and if they do decide to sue for compensation, i think it's well justified.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Alot of these stolen kids were given a better life and more opportunities than they would have had if they stayed where they were. In some situations its more like the SAVED generation.

YES, I know its sad, but they get a shitload of benefits now, including free housing that they destroy. I'm sick of hearing this shit.

^^^
    i'm not sure about the cases in australia as i am much less familiar with them but in canada, these kids were removed from their families and communities and lost all contact with their culture and heritage and that is a crime. and not to mention that for years the government covered up the hundreds (maybe thousands?) of cases of physical and sexual abuse. the people that went through this system have much higher rates for depression, alcoholism, suicide, drug abuse, etc... i doubt many of them think they were 'saved' by being taken away from their families.
    Last edited by sputnik; January 17th, 2008 at 05:59 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I know, its terrible what happened to them, but it was A LONG time ago.

They are probably still bitter about what happened to them, but thats no excuse to wreak havoc on society by starting gangs and hanging out in the streets and causing trouble today, and abuse what is given to you either, like shitting on the floor, burning carpets, and acting like uncivilized human beings. Time to move on.
    Cathy Freeman, famous Australian athlete, was part of the Stolen generation; she didn't turn out too badly.

If we all dwelled on the past, most of us would be fucked. We've all had bad deals at some point, we've all been disrespected and treating unfair or unequal, but you get on with it.

As for drugs, alcohol, abuse, whatever, Thats the path they choose to go, and its sad for them because they certainly ARE given opportunities but they shit all over it; literally. I have a friend who had the great job of having to pick up shit off the carpets of the houses that were given to the aborigines to live in for free. Thats just pathetic.

I'd be quite happy for them to move to some deserted strip of land, and they can live like they used to if they don't want to act like decent human beings in our community. I;m not talking about ALL aborigines; i happen to have a family in my street who are aborigines and they are lovely. Even they hate the fact that some of their people act this way and give the rest of them a bad name.
    Last edited by DitaPage*; January 17th, 2008 at 06:06 AM.

Is that a version of "I have black friends, so I'm not racist if I hate them"??

In Canada, the last residential schools closed in the early 1990's. It wasn't a LONG time ago here. It was in recent memory of living people. Their lives were NOT improved by the residential school system. There is a big problem in native communities with lack of parenting and basic life skills that kids in these institutions never learned when they were growing up. A lot of issues in these native communities stem from the fact that they had no loving, caring guidance to help them become healthy contributing members of society.

The fact that people can still turn out relatively ok, like your friend, is a testament to their strength, not indicative of an inherent weakness in the entire population.

I know I may have an unfavorable opinion here, but frankly, why apologize? Before I say this I want to make perfectly clear, I'm not trying to use the 'I know Aboriginals, but... ', I'm just sharing my opinion on the subject.
    And yes, I associate with many Aboriginals - half of my family are Aboriginal which is why I propose to know a little more about the inner workings of these issues than others may.

The current government, and the current generation of Australian people were not responsible for the stolen generation, nor any events that occurred around the period of the European settlement.

Facts are facts. Indigenous Australians face many problems; infant mortality rate, incarceration, health standards, education, living standards, but the reality is that is not the 'white mans' fault, majority of their problems are self inflicted.

For years and years and years this 'Sorry' buisness has been going on. I'm glad Kevin Rudd is going to address the issue better than John Howard did, but if they don't believe they will face repercussions for saying 'sorry' they're deluded.

Before many of you who don't live in Australia think the government is a bunch of tightarse yobbos doing nothing for the Aboriginal people. Aboriginals do receive benefits from the government, in fact they receive so many benefits I don't know where to start. Everything from deducted rent on housing, assistance in the cost of a car, heavily deducted schooling, assistance in finding a job - employers who employ Aborigines can even apply for wage assistance from Centrelink (WTF!), ABSTUDY, and even government assistance in the form of money when a family member passes away. That's not even the majority of it, all the above are specifically for Aboriginal people, this isn't even counting that they can also be on an 'Individuals' pension or other government schemes.... oh, and then there's the 'hush hush' on the HEAVILY deducted to nonexistent ambulance bills.

I make no apologies for sounding jaded, because frankly I am. I really have had a gutful of this issue and the double standard that exists in Australia. If KEVIN07 wants to apologize, 'onya. Just wait for the lawyers letters.
    ssabmud

The current government, and the current generation of Australian people were not responsible for the stolen generation, nor any events that occurred around the period of the European settlement.
    Exactly.

Before many of you who don't live in Australia think the government is a bunch of tightarse yobbos doing nothing for the Aboriginal people. Aboriginals do receive benefits from the government, in fact they receive so many benefits I don't know where to start. Everything from deducted rent on housing, assistance in the cost of a car, heavily deducted schooling, assistance in finding a job - employers who employ Aborigines can even apply for wage assistance from Centrelink (WTF!), ABSTUDY, and even government assistance in the form of money when a family member passes away. That's not even the majority of it, all the above are specifically for Aboriginal people, this isn't even counting that they can also be on an 'Individuals' pension or other government schemes.... oh, and then there's the 'hush hush' on the HEAVILY deducted to nonexistent ambulance bills
    yes! Isn't that as good as this 'sorry' there is so much debate about!?
    How about the govt says sorry and then take away all their benefits and they can live like the rest of Australians.

Good post CCkissesx, I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by memebot
    Is that a version of "I have black friends, so I'm not racist if I hate them"??
    A person could be white, black, red, purple, I dont care, I judge people on how they behave; what I'm saying is that alot of aborigines in my area commit alot of crimes and cause trouble; if you're a menace to society, you should be removed from it. But they get benefits and lighter sentences because apparently the government owes them for something that happened 10 million years ago; what a joke.

A*O

Living in suburban Melbourne as I do I obviously don't come into much contact with the Aboriginal community because basically we don't have one and the few Aborigines I do see are fully assimilated into 'our' culture.

Last November I travelled to the Northern Territory and for the first time I saw the living conditions of Aborigines there and even though I knew it was pretty grim, nothing prepared me for the povery, squalor and general dispossession of these people. Yes, the Government gives them 'handouts' which they often squander and abuse and yes there is a HUGE alcohol, substance abuse (usually chroming and petrol sniffing), and resulting domestic violence and sexual abuse. But the Aborigines have been here for over 40,000 as far as we know and have a completely different set of cultural values and traditions. It's arrogant to say "well they should act more civilised" because their perception of 'civilization' is so totally different to our European one. Having said that, many of the 'stolen generation' children DID have a better upbringing than anything their own community could have provided in terms of education, healthcare, etc which were and often are totally absent in many cases even today.

Obviously there is a lot of resentment and if saying "sorry" is going to help then go ahead. But I too fear that it will open the floodgates for a flood of lawsuits and other nonsense which not only diminishes the meaning of the apology, it also enforces the view that if shit happens - even a long time ago - you can get some easy money for it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't understand the Aborigine/sorry issue in Australia, it's true. I have a lot of similar experience here in Canada, but I can't claim to have special insight into your situation over there. So, good luck with that!

I have to say though, that I find delicious (and likely unintentionally humorous) irony in the suggestion that all the bad Aborigines be shipped off somewhere? Are we thinking, perhaps, some....distant, isolated continent?

LOL!

^Well Australia is that distant, isolated continent, haha!

Gold Member

I agree that Australia apologizing for past treatment of the aboriginal community won't accomplish anything. There is no doubt the aboriginal community has faced serious injustices in the past. But today's Australians shouldn't have to apologize for the deeds of their ancestors. Today's Australians have treated the aboriginal community fairly. White Australians are not at fault for the ills that plague the aboriginal community. Much like the New Zealand Maoris, and Native Americans in Canada and the US, the aboriginal Australians will need to come together as a community to try to solve some of the problems that plague their community. White Australians can't solve their problems for them and apologies won't make a difference.

From memory I think the day this apology will be made is Feb 12th.

Basically Kevin Rudd explained on a news program that he will not be saying sorry on behalf of Australians, but on behalf of the government. He has also stated he will not be setting up a compensation fund. Which is probably a smart thing as the problem with compensation is knowing where it ends; how far down the line do you compensate people, to the point they can just claim Aboriginality? It's a very messy issue.

Hopefully it can be said and done and we can move on. It puts the onus on the Aboriginal people to try and move forward now. Although, I don't particularly understand how 'sorry' is going to dramatically improve anything.
    ssabmud

If compensation is the driving force behind all the hooplah for saying sorry then I will have a fit. What the hell are they trying to do? White Australia has had enough of the handouts given to these people who cant do anything for themselves. They destroy everything they are handed on a plate. They cant manage their diets, their health, their bad habits, their KIDS........and we, (our government) is expected to say sorry for trying to save kids from a life of sexual abuse, domestic violence and poverty. They blame everything on being "stolen". Thats why they rape their own kids, wreck their houses, and live without goals, ambition or dreams. They just dont think like us. If they did, they would know how to use the handouts they get. Instead they chop down their walls and use them for firewood as they are too dopey to order a ute load of wood for fire. They have no desire to have a beautiful garden. They dont aspire to being businessmen or women. If they get a decent job its only through the government paying someone to employ them. Then they spend all their wages on grog and oh its just so hopeless. They have a different way of thinking to us and they will always cry "poor blackfella". Its nothing to do with being"stolen". Its nothing to do with color,whatsoever. Its how they act. Its their actions. They could be green and I wouldnt care. Its attitude and actions.
    Jack I swear.

^Thats the speech that SHOULD be given!

Thread Information