Thread: Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, Australian Federal Election today!

A*O

Default Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, Australian Federal Election today!

I'm off to vote. It's compulsory here but that's another debate. After several years of Liberal/conservative Federal government (yet all the State govts are Labour, go figure) it looks like Labour is going to win. They are predicting a landslide but I think it's going to be close. However, Labour will probably win so get used to Kevin Rudd as the new Australian Prime Minister and a bunch of former unionist officials as his inexperienced ministers. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

John Howard has done a pretty good job as PM for the last 10 years but he foolishly announced that he planned to retire, even if re-elected, so a Liberal vote is in fact a vote for his deputy, an unpopular wanker called Peter Costello.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Eli

Oh my God, RUDD WON!!!
    I'm neither happy nor sad on the subject, and lucky that I didn't have to vote (ha-ha). I would have been happy if JH won, as I am glad that Rudd one. Let's see if he changes the cruddiness of our television networks, because as an Australian that's what's important to ME.

well, my oz friends were all hoping labour would win. and from what i know about john howard, i have to agree with them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

John Howard not only lost the election, it looks like he lost his seat too. Total humiliation. Keep an eye on Rudd's deputy PM, the hatchet-faced and ultra ambitious Julia Gillard. She's the unions' pinup gal and she will stab Rudd in the back as soon as she sees an opportunity. And please Kevin, no Peter Garrett ANYWHERE.

@ Allie - So you are under 18 eh?
    Dame Edna Everage

So australia isnt a Bush satellite lapdog country anymore? Huzzah!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Oh my God, RUDD WON!!!
    I'm neither happy nor sad on the subject, and lucky that I didn't have to vote (ha-ha). I would have been happy if JH won, as I am glad that Rudd one. Let's see if he changes the cruddiness of our television networks, because as an Australian that's what's important to ME.
    So why did you not have to vote if it is compulsory in Australia?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Eli

Coz I'm not Australian!
    I'm English my birth and very glad of that.

^^ fair enough. Are you ever going to get Australian citizenship? Can you have the dual thing there?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I was happy to see Rudd get in

(don't shoot me)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Bush's assclown is no more.
    Last edited by Tati; November 26th, 2007 at 09:23 PM.

Gold Member

^^ No shooting here.

I voted for him as well. Even though I was never affected by Work Choices (have been negotiating my own salary since 1998) I thougt it was a bit too extreme.

When the liberal party put in Macolm Turnbull or Joe Hockey in the future, with Julie Bushop as deputy, they will get my vote.

Can I just say thank you Tony Abbott for giving me a great laugh when you said you had the people skills to lead the party. I will never forget how you treated Bernie Banton and if the party is stupid enough to elect you, it will not get my vote.

R.I.P Bernie, you will never be forgotten by me. A true Aussie hero and a sad loss for us today. The world is a lesser place for losing you. But we are a better place for having you. Your time with us was much too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I second that. Howard was disgusting in so many ways, personally and professionally.

im overjoyed - ive been trying to get rid of John Howard ever since i have been old enough to vote. Lets see what Rudd can do for Australia.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    ^^ fair enough. Are you ever going to get Australian citizenship? Can you have the dual thing there?

Yes you can. I have a UK and Aussie passport and I think that if you choose to live in a country you should participate in its democratic process and become a citizen. I am sick and tired of all the whinging Poms I meet who've lived here for decades who complain about how badly the country is run yet refuse to become Australian citizens. You just have to fill out a form.

The only reason I keep my UK passport is that it can sometimes be useful if you want to work in the EU. My kids have dual citizenship too and when they go off to Europe backpacking in a year or so I'm sure their EU passports will be very handy. However, if the rules change and I have to hand back my UK passport because I no longer live there I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Dame Edna Everage

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2007 View Post
    ^^ No shooting here.

Forgetting June in Melbourne?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Yes you can. I have a UK and Aussie passport and I think that if you choose to live in a country you should participate in its democratic process and become a citizen. I am sick and tired of all the whinging Poms I meet who've lived here for decades who complain about how badly the country is run yet refuse to become Australian citizens. You just have to fill out a form.

The only reason I keep my UK passport is that it can sometimes be useful if you want to work in the EU. My kids have dual citizenship too and when they go off to Europe backpacking in a year or so I'm sure their EU passports will be very handy. However, if the rules change and I have to hand back my UK passport because I no longer live there I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Well said...i take it you are a pom convert then?...Thats cool with me as we sure think alike A*O.....I liked the bit where you would do it in a heartbeat.....there is only one nationality that won't change their citizenship more than the poms...thats the New Zealanders.

Thread Information