Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homophobe singer blasts gays at fundraiser, backed by Barack Obama

Bronze Member

Default Homophobe singer blasts gays at fundraiser, backed by Barack Obama

From CNN.com Political ticker:

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) — The controversial Gospel singer at the center of a gay and lesbian backlash against Sen. Barack Obama’s presidential campaign struck back at his critics Sunday night, saying that he has been "vilified" and declaring that "God delivered me from homosexuality."
    Rev. Donnie McClurkin, who headlined the final installment of the Obama campaign's "Embrace the Change" Gospel concert series, did not comment on the controversy until the just before the concert's finish, when he told the crowd of about 2,500 African-Americans: "I'm going to say something that's going to get me in trouble."
    "They accuse me of being anti-gay and a bigot," McClurkin said. "We don't believe in discrimination. We don't believe in hatred, and if you do you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's the whole premise of God. That's the whole premise of Christ is love, love, love. But there is a side of Christ that deals in judgment, and all sin is against God."
    McClurkin has said that homosexuality is a choice and that he overcame homosexual desires through prayer, comments that drew fire from gay and lesbian activists and caught the Obama campaign, which has been using faith to reach out to African-American voters, off guard.
    The Grammy-winning singer said Sunday his words had been "twisted."

"Don't call me a bigot or anti-gay, when I have been touched by the same feelings," McClurkin went on. "When I have suffered with the same feelings. Don't call me a homophobe, when I love everybody … Don't tell me that I stand up and I say vile words against the gay community because I don't. I don't speak against the homosexual. I tell you that God delivered me from homosexuality."
    McClurkin's words drew raucous applause from the crowd, who had lined up around the block to get into the Township Auditorium in Columbia.
    Although a small demonstration led by the South Carolina Gay & Lesbian Pride Movement had gathered across the street from the concert venue, they were dwarfed by the crowd of black Gospel fans and Obama supporters who turned out to see the performance.
    Meanwhile, Obama staff were inside and outside the building, working the crowd and trying to register new voters.
    Nearly all of the African-American concert-goers interviewed by CNN expressed support for McClurkin. Some referenced the First Amendment, saying McClurkin had the right to say what he pleased. Others agreed with McClurkin and said that homosexuality is a choice. Several more invoked the Bible and said homosexuality is simply wrong.
    A September poll conducted by Winthrop University and ETV showed that 74 percent of South Carolina African-Americans believe homosexuality is "unacceptable."
    Michael Vandiver, president of the South Carolina Gay and Lesbian Pride Movement said that he was disappointed by Obama's refusal to take McClurkin off the bill, but that he hopes it will be an opportunity for new dialogue.
    "This is not a protest of Senator Obama, but rather a vigil in opposition of Reverend McClurkin and his statements on homosexuality," Vandiver said before the concert. "We're also here to show our support for Rev. Andy Sidden."
    Sidden is the white, gay pastor added to the concert bill as a last minute compromise by the Obama campaign. Sidden's appearance was notably brief and anti-climactic: He said a short prayer to the auditorium at the very beginning of the program, when the arena was only about half full, and then he left.
    Obama, while not present, appeared on a videotaped message to the crowd, saying, “The artists you’re going to hear from are some of the best in the world, and favorites of Michelle and myself.”
    McClurkin said during the concert that he had been introduced to Obama by Oprah Winfrey.

"I don't hate gays, I'm not a bigot.. but if you're gay then there's SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU that NEEDS TO BE FIXED"

Self loathing fucktard, he's not cured.. he's just on the downlow now.

Idiot.

Also, I think Obama needs to stop throwing (gay) people under the bus... a bus that he would have had to ride in the back of not too long ago.

Fuck you, Obama you stupid shitfuck. I hope you die.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ Everything you said Grimm, to the 10th power!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    "I don't hate gays, I'm not a bigot.. but if you're gay then there's SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU that NEEDS TO BE FIXED"

Idiot.

Also, I think Obama needs to stop throwing (gay) people under the bus... a bus that he would have had to ride in the back of not too long ago.

I'm going to pray for you....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Well, its back to Hillary. Least she's on the same team.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Idiot.

I completely agree. (except that last 4 word sentence.) At least this is exposing how homophobic parts of the black community are(especially the *gasp* 'religious' 'Christian' part). What a shock! *sarcasm* Fools how can they not see that the damn Bible was one of the main tools used in defending slavery? Pathetic.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hilary all the way. I will never vote Obama.

She's just as bad with DOMA
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

well there aren't many other alternatives unless you're going to go with a Republican......

or just not vote, considering the election system is rigged with machines and voter intimidation, outright fraud and other nonsense.

also consider the system itself is still rotten to the core with corporate interests superceding that of the population

maybe, but you (not you personally, but just people in general) should always vote, it's the right thing to do as a US citizen

I can't stand people who don't vote and then complain about who gets elected

^^I don't know, I hate the idea of picking the lesser of two evils...shit it's still picking evil. That said I'm not a US citizen, so I'm not entirely sure who I would vote for at this point anyway.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

He makes Hilary look better every day...
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    ^^I don't know, I hate the idea of picking the lesser of two evils...shit it's still picking evil. That said I'm not a US citizen, so I'm not entirely sure who I would vote for at this point anyway.
    That is just how it is sometimes..called voting while holding your nose(cause it stinks that you have to pick the least offensive of one of two pieces of shit).
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I typically hate discussing politics, but I also hate it when people complain about politicians...saying how disgusting they are and how they have to pick the lesser of two evils. I have an idea....get off your ass and run for office. It's the only logical thing to do...afterall, if you think everyone who is currently running is a fucktard, then you have an obligation to either shut the fuck up or run yourself.

I don't agree with Obama...I met him recently and wasn't impressed at all. I had dinner with Hillary last year and she was great. I don't feel like I am picking between two evils...I think she is fair and complicated and at least willing to look within herself to evaluate her ideals. So many of us are filled with contradictions...it takes a noble person to admit that we evolve as do our ideals.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information