Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church of England head speaks out against ‘easy abortions’

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Church of England head speaks out against ‘easy abortions’

Church of England head speaks out against ‘easy abortions’

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has said that abortion is becoming common place in today’s society, and people are now becoming insufficiently troubled about terminating their pregnancies.

by Daniel Blake
    Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007, 22:21 (BST)

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has said that abortion is becoming common place in today’s society, and people are now becoming insufficiently troubled about terminating their pregnancies.

The Church of England leader was writing for a special feature for the Observer newspaper released to coincide with the 40th anniversary of Britain’s Abortion Act, which legalised the procedure.

The spiritual leader of the world’s 77-million Anglicans told that people needed to think hard about the consequences of their actions.

He wrote: “Recent discussion on making it simpler for women to administer abortion-inducing drugs at home underlines the growing belief that abortion is essentially a matter of individual decision and not the kind of major moral choice that should involve a sharing of perspective and judgment.

“Something has happened to our assumptions about the life of the unborn child,” he added.

Across England and Wales in 2005 there were just under 200,000 abortions, according to the Department of Health, and a recent survey carried out by Lancet, a medical journal, revealed that thirty percent of pregnancies in Europe now end in abortion.

A very public debate is currently taking place in Britain with pro-life campaigners calling for the upper limit on abortions to be shortened from 24 weeks to at least 21 weeks. However, a recent parliamentary bill on the matter was defeated.

Pro-lifers have expressed their dismay at how the limit could still remain at 24 weeks, one of the highest in Europe, when current figures reveal that about 50 per cent of extremely premature babies born at 24 weeks were able to survive.

Although the Archbishop of Canterbury did not make any direct call for the upper limit to be reduced he did highlight the paradox between those who campaign for greater "foetal rights," condemning women who smoke during pregnancy, but fail to speak out about abortion.

Britain currently has one of the highest rate of teenage pregnancies in Europe, and an increasing number if those pregnancies are now ending in abortion.

Dr Williams wrote that when the Abortion Act was introduced in 1967 it was not meant to bring about “easy abortions”, but to provide an option for women who found themselves in extreme cases

He concluded, “What people might now call their 'default position' was still that abortion was a profoundly undesirable thing and that a universal presumption of care for the foetus from the moment of conception was the norm.”

Church of England head speaks out against ‘easy abortions’

Oh shut up churchie.

On a related note, chicks need to close their legs or use a fucking condom for a change, instead of becoming best friends with the shop-vac.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I believe in a woman's right to choose. Sorry but whores are included in my belief. They are abusing the system. Why can't we spay the human bitches too?
    Proud Mama....now where's my glass of wine?

That's what I'm thinking. Using abortion as birth control seems odd, considering condoms are so much cheaper...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Excuse me fundie asshole, no abortion is "easy." But it sure is "easy" to condemn a pregnant woman when you have no danger of ever being in her situation since you can't get pregnant and neither can that 12 year old boy you molest. Fuckers.

Why would anyone care how many abortions a women has? If that is her way of birth control good for her! At least she isn't popping them out. I think there should be more abortion clinics and after pills. Go fuck yourself old man. If god thought all life is precious then there wouldn't be a thing called miscarriage or death. I hate religion.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Excuse me fundie asshole, no abortion is &quot;easy.&quot; But it sure is &quot;easy&quot; to condemn a pregnant woman when you have no danger of ever being in her situation since you can't get pregnant and neither can that 12 year old boy you molest. Fuckers.
    That,s it,exactly,no more ,no less.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Why would anyone care how many abortions a women has? If that is her way of birth control good for her! At least she isn't popping them out. I think there should be more abortion clinics and after pills. Go fuck yourself old man. If god thought all life is precious then there wouldn't be a thing called miscarriage or death. I hate religion.
    LOL Say what you think

Excuse me fundie asshole, no abortion is "easy." But it sure is "easy" to condemn a pregnant woman when you have no danger of ever being in her situation since you can't get pregnant and neither can that 12 year old boy you molest. Fuckers.
    Well said, with anger, but still well said.
    DH is a Siberian Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    IMO abortions should never be used as a form of casual "birth control"

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    IMO abortions should never be used as a form of casual "birth control"
    IMO women should do what they think is necessary and it isn't anyones business but their own.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Concise, spot-on, and just...beautiful.

Bronze Member

Wow, we women are just such unstable emotional crazy hysterical sluts.

How hard it must be for those poor hardworking men toiling away as we simply indulge our filthy needs to screw every man we see, then get five or ten abortions and then when we do give birth, we just shamelessly display our boobs as we breastfeed our spawn. Of course the only thing that can keep us sliding down into filth, iniquity and prostitution is a good strong patriarchal masculine God. And man, how much money does the religious right make exactly from their politics of fear, lies and misogyny?

Oh and these famous women of legend and lore who use abortion as contraception? Introduce me to one of them. Now. They're everywhere, right? Every person's cousin's neighbor's friend's sister is one of those filthy sluts.

Well, I'd like to meet one of them personally. You know, because I believe in a little thing called evidence. And a bigger thing called false propaganda.

Oh for petes sake. They are not offered on McDonalds menu yet.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Elyse View Post
    Wow, we women are just such unstable emotional crazy hysterical sluts.

How hard it must be for those poor hardworking men toiling away as we simply indulge our filthy needs to screw every man we see, then get five or ten abortions and then when we do give birth, we just shamelessly display our boobs as we breastfeed our spawn. Of course the only thing that can keep us sliding down into filth, iniquity and prostitution is a good strong patriarchal masculine God. And man, how much money does the religious right make exactly from their politics of fear, lies and misogyny?

Oh and these famous women of legend and lore who use abortion as contraception? Introduce me to one of them. Now. They're everywhere, right? Every person's cousin's neighbor's friend's sister is one of those filthy sluts.

Well, I'd like to meet one of them personally. You know, because I believe in a little thing called evidence. And a bigger thing called false propaganda.
    Nice one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information