Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian neighbors, is your health system really this bad?

Default Canadian neighbors, is your health system really this bad?

I know this topic has been discussed a lot here, but I came across this and wondered what you guys think. Does any of this ring true for you?

This was sent from Canada to a friend in the States.
    I saw on the news up here in Canada where Hillary Clinton introduced her new health care plan. Something similar to what we have in Canada. I also heard that Michael Moore was raving about the health care up here in Canada in his latest movie. As your friend and someone who lives with the Canada health care plan I thought I would give you some facts about this great medical plan that we have in Canada.
    First of all:
    1) The health care plan in Canada is not free. We pay a premium every month of $96. for Shirley and I to be covered. Sounds great eh. What they don't tell you is how much we pay in taxes to keep the health care system afloat. I am personally in the 55% tax bracket. Yes 55% of my earnings go to taxes. A large portion of that and I am not sure of the exact amount goes directly to health care our #1 expense.
    2) I would not classify what we have as health care plan, it is more like a health diagnosis system. You can get into to see a doctor quick enough so he can tell you "yes indeed you are sick or you need an operation" but now the challenge becomes getting treated or operated on. We have waiting lists out the ying yang some as much as 2 years down the road.
    3) Rather than fix what is wrong with you the usual tactic in Canada is to prescribe drugs. Have a pain here is a drug to take- not what is causing the pain and why. No time for checking you out because it is more important to move as many patients thru as possible each hour for Government reimbursement
    4) Many Canadians do not have a family Doctor.
    5) Don't require emergency treatment as you may wait for hours in the emergency room waiting for treatment.
    6) Shirley's dad cut his hand on a power saw a few weeks back and it required that his hand be put in a splint - to our surprise we had to pay $125. for a splint because it is not covered under health care plus we have to pay $60. for each visit for him to check it out each week.
    7) Shirley's cousin was diagnosed with a heart blockage. Put on a waiting list . Died before he could get treatment.
    8) Government allots so many operations per year. When that is done no more operations, unless you go to your local newspaper and plead your case and embarrass the government then money suddenly appears.
    9)The Government takes great pride in telling us how much more they are increasing the funding for health care but waiting lists never get shorter. Government just keeps throwing money at the problem but it never goes away. But they are good at finding new ways to tax us, but they don't call it a tax anymore it is now a user fee.
    10) A friend needs an operation for a blockage in her leg but because she is a smoker they will not do it. Despite paying into the health care system all these years. My friend is 65 years old. Now there is talk that maybe we should not treat fat and obese people either because they are a drain on the health care system. Let me see now, what we want in Canada is a health care system for healthy people only. That should reduce our health care costs.
    11) Forget getting a second opinion, what you see is what you get.
    12) I can spend what money I have left after taxes on booze, cigarettes, junk food and anything else that could kill me but I am not allowed by law to spend my money on getting an operation I need because that would be jumping the queue. I must wait my turn except if I am a hockey player or athlete then I can get looked at right away. Go figger. Where else in the world can you spend money to kill yourself but not allowed to spend money to get healthy.
    13) Oh did I mention that immigrants are covered automatically at tax payer expense having never contributed a dollar to the system and pay no premiums.
    14) Oh yes, we now give free needles to drug users to try and keep them healthy. Wouldn't want a sickly druggie breaking into your house and stealing your things. But people with diabetes who pay into the health care system have to pay for their needles because it is not covered but the health care system.
    I send this out not looking for sympathy but as the election looms in the states you will be hearing more and more about universal health care down there and the advocates will be pointing to Canada. I just want to make sure that you hear the truth about health care up here and have some food for thought and informed questions to ask when broached with this subject.
    Step wisely and don't make the same mistakes we have.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

This sounds like right-wing scare propaganda and there are any number of errors in it. It would be helpful to know where this mythical couple lives. There are horror stories here as there are everywhere, but I'll take the system we have over the U.S. one any day. And I've been in both systems.

The idea that a smoker will not get treatment is complete and utter crap. I could go on and on and on picking out the lies and spin in every "point"...but who's got that kind of time?

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

I will defend the Canadian health care system to everyone but of course it has it's problems. There are some valid points in the original post but it does sound a lot like bitching and complaining. Yes, there can be long wait lists for operations. Yes the emergency room waits can be long--mostly because people with minor problems insist on going to the ER. In BC, most people pay a monthly premium for health coverage, but it's certainly not that way in other provinces. Premiums are pro-rated and are free for the lowest of incomes. Even $96/month, is a steal compared to American health insurance.
    I don't find that doctors here want to prescribe drugs instead of diagnose illness. We can pay for an operation or treatment privately if we are willing to travel--but we won't get reimbursed for it. Many Canadians don't have a family doctor--but how is that the fault of our medical system??
    Immigrants are not arbitrarily given medical insurance. I don't know where that myth comes from. And what is stopping anyone from getting a second opinion?? Weird.
    I will say that i do personally know someone who has been on a waiting list for 4 years for an operation. She has been told 'off record' that they will not do the operation because she smokes. Sadly, as a taxpayer, i kind of agree with this. What's the point of operating when her lifestyle negates the effect of the operation??
    Our system isn't perfect but it has done me well--numerous hospital visits, trips to the ER, operations, prescriptions. I've never had to wait long in the ER--because when i go, i am there for a reason and i get taken right in--leaving the sore knees, and headaches out in the waiting room.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I could go on and on and on picking out the lies and spin in every "point"...but who's got that kind of time?
    I agree it's spin. We sure do have a different way of looking at things though, too. Just differing perspectives.

Well, there are differing perspectives and outright lies. I try to keep the difference between the two clear.

wtf? lol

If you come into the emergency room with a fucking hole in your head, you'll be the first person they look at. Hello, triage?

secondly,. who doesnt have a family doctor? lol

thirdly, i broke my foot and the cast, xrays and everything else was covered by my provincial health care and fed health care..

wrtf planet do these people live on?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Actually, about 4 million Canadians don't have a family doctor. I heard that on the CBC the other day. A lot of people rely on clinics now since so many docs are either retiring, getting out of the biz, moving to the States or not taking new patients. I've had 4 in the past 5 years after having the same one for 8 years. It's pretty common depending on where you live.

Hmm.. maybe my concept of a family doctor is off. To me, it's a doc you see regularely. It doesnt mean that it wont change (like if you move or something).

Ive had a few in the last 5 years, but to be honest do you really need to see your regular doc if all you've got is the sniffles? Go to a clinic and get an RX.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal.

also:

8) Government allots so many operations per year. When that is done no more operations, unless you go to your local newspaper and plead your case and embarrass the government then money suddenly appears.
    Wtf is that about LOL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I could go on and on and on picking out the lies and spin in every "point"...but who's got that kind of time?
    The fine people at Snopes.
    Urban Legends Reference Pages: Canadian Health Care

also this guy:
    Managed Care Matters - The Faux Canadian

Twitchy strikes again

I knew it was propaganda instantly. Can smell that stuff a mile away.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post

Oh, snap!

Silver Member

It's ashame some of these politicians (especially republicans) don't want US citizens to have national healthcare. Why don't these elected Congressman and Senators and Bush and Cheney refuse their free healthcare? After all they don't want to give free healthcare to the citizens. Why should these multi-millionaires get free healthcare? They should pay they sure can afford to.

I appreciate our health care system. Although there are some problems with it,the benefits outweigh them. I have heard of people being turned away from e.r services in the U.S.A because they did not have health care coverage,that would never happen here.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Ah, Twitchy, thanks for the links. Yeah, nice propaganda there. I'm usually good at ignoring these stupid emails (my SIL sends me sooooo much 'love your country' bullshit), and I knew if I posted it here I'd get the real story.

Sounds like the system is actually working quite well...and I am quite envious.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information