Thread: Police accused of using provocateurs

Default Police accused of using provocateurs

Police accused of using provocateurs at summit

Aug 21, 2007 09:14 PM
    Canadian Press

OTTAWA – Protesters are accusing police of using undercover agents to provoke violent confrontations at the North American leaders' summit in Montebello, Que.

Such accusations have been made before after similar demonstrations but this time the alleged "agents provocateurs" have been caught on camera.

A video, posted on YouTube, shows three young men, their faces masked by bandannas, mingling Monday with protesters in front of a line of police in riot gear. At least one of the masked men is holding a rock in his hand.

The three are confronted by protest organizer Dave Coles, president of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada. Coles makes it clear the masked men are not welcome among his group of protesters, whom he describes as mainly grandparents. He urges them to leave and find their own protest location.

Coles also demands that they put down their rocks. Other protesters begin to chime in that the three are really police agents. Several try to snatch the bandanas from their faces.

Rather than leave, the three actually start edging closer to the police line, where they appear to engage in discussions. They eventually push their way past an officer, whereupon other police shove them to the ground and handcuff them.

Late Tuesday, photographs taken by another protester surfaced, showing the trio lying prone on the ground. The photos show the soles of their boots adorned by yellow triangles. A police officer kneeling beside the men has an identical yellow triangle on the sole of his boot.

Kevin Skerrett, a protester with the group Nowar-Paix, said the photos and video together present powerful evidence that the men were actually undercover police officers.

"I think the circumstantial evidence is very powerful," he said.

The three do not appear to have been arrested or charged with any offence.

Police confirm that only four protesters were arrested during the summit – two men and two women. All have been charged with obstruction and resisting arrest.

Veteran protester Jaggi Singh, who is helping to circulate the video as widely as possible, said all four of those arrested are known to organizers and are genuine protesters.

"But we see very clearly in that video three (other) men being arrested . . . How do (police) account for these three people being taken in, being arrested? Where did they go?" Singh said.

"I have no hesitation in saying they were police agents . . . and they were caught red-handed."

Singh, a member of the Montreal-based No One is Illegal, believes the agents were meant to provoke a confrontation and give the police an excuse to use some of their "toys," such as tear gas and rubber bullets.

"To a certain extent it's self-fulfilling logic. You provide police with this kind of equipment and they end up using it and one way to justify it is to plant some people that toss a rock or two."

Neither the RCMP nor the Surete du Quebec would comment on the video or even discuss generally whether they ever use the tactic of employing agents provocateurs.

"I cannot answer your question because I don't have the information," said Const. Kane Kramer, a spokesman for the RCMP at the summit.
    TheStar.com - News - Police accused of using provocateurs at summit

To clarify what a provocateur is; it's an undercover police officer that hides in a protest group and tries to rally the other protestors to start violence, making the riot police engage the protestors and arrest them. IT's actually a well known tactic by police to stop protests and arrest innocent protestors.

It's a pretty sick way of underminding the right to protest and with poltical unrest, is happening more often towards protests that are smaller in scale. What do you guys think about this?

if it was the RCMP, they're already up shit creek with just about everything and I hope this brings the entire organization to its knees and a number of necks get stretched over it.

The Mounties have gotten away with WAY too much and it's only lately that they've been smacked in the face about it.

I like this bit:

"I cannot answer your question because I don't have the information," said Const. Kane Kramer, a spokesman for the RCMP at the summit.
    Oh the CIA director Gonzales defence! "i dont recall! i dont know! i'm not sure! i dont have that information!"

wtf ever.

Still, how stupid do you have to be to wear the exact same police issue boots when you're trying to pretend to be a protester? Derrrrr.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Holy shit this is the first I've seen of this. I guess Canada is having the same problems with provocateurs than the protests here in the States. Is it because that Harper guy (sp?) is a buddy of Bush and he's trying to undermine protests just like his American counterpart?

Photo that shows the boots:
    CUPE National Photo Gallery :: Demonstration in Montebello: Monday, August 20, afternoon :: Montebello_20_ao_t_050
    (you can click and zoom in)

More photos here:
    Montabello - Provacateurs (updated, 08/22) - a photoset on Flickr
    You can see that the police allow these guys to continue wearing their bandanas as they are led away. like this one: Montebello, Provocateur #3 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And as has been commented elsewhere: The clothing of the provocateurs is new, the duct tape is pointless, for guys with stones who seemed ready for violence they capitulated rather quickly, and there are no batons at the ready.

I like how most of the riot police leave after they get the three guys out.

The official denials have begun:
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2007

Opposition demands probe into police 'provocateurs' at summit

Canadian Press

OTTAWA (CP) - The Mounties and Quebec provincial police deny using agents provocateurs at this week's Montebello summit, despite incriminating video evidence that suggests undercover cops tried to incite violence.
    The denials Wednesday did nothing to quell mounting outrage over police tactics. Anti-globalization and union activists joined with opposition politicians to demand an independent investigation.
    They also questioned whether police were acting on orders from the Prime Minister's Office and called on both Stephen Harper and Quebec Premier Jean Charest to denounce the use of agents provocateurs.
    "In a free and democratic society, people have the right to peacefully protest something they don't like," said union leader Dave Coles, who confronted the alleged undercover officers outside the summit site Monday.
    "Are Canadian citizens going to have to face these kinds of provocateurs just because Stephen Harper seems to think we're some sort of loony-left group?
    "Quite frankly, that's insulting and we don't accept it and we want answers from him."
    The three alleged provocateurs were caught on camera - with bandanas masking their faces and at least one carrying a rock in his hand - approaching a line of Surete du Quebec police in full riot garb. They refused to back away, despite the insistence of Coles and other protest organizers that they leave the area.
    As protesters surrounded the men and tried to snatch off their masks, one of the three spoke to an SQ officer. The trio got through the police line, were forced to the ground and handcuffed.
    Photos of the men lying on the ground show the three were wearing combat boots with identical markings to the ones worn by an SQ officer kneeling beside them.
    Video also shows the three eventually being led quietly away to police vans. By contrast, Coles said four legitimate protesters - whom police say were the only people arrested and charged at the summit - were "roughed up pretty good and dragged away."
    A spokesman for Harper denied any role by the prime minister in the fair, saying "the PMO is not involved in security for events." Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day's office referred all questions to the RCMP.
    The Mounties and the SQ, the two police forces involved in summit security, continued to refuse specific comment on three alleged undercover officers caught on camera in an apparent bid to incite a confrontation.
    But they denied using agents to provoke violence.
    "I confirm (to) you that there are no agents provocateurs in the Surete du Quebec. . . It doesn't exist in the Surete du Quebec," said Const. Melanie Larouche.
    RCMP spokesman Cpl. Luc Bessette said the Mounties do "not use tactics that would encourage confrontation or incite violence."
    Bessette said the RCMP cannot discuss details of security measures for major events such as the summit because "to do so could jeopardize the integrity of our operations for future events."
    Liberal justice critic Marlene Jennings said the evidence is "quite incriminating" and called on the two police forces to "clear this up." She said it's one thing for officers to pose as protesters in a bid to keep an eye on potential trouble-makers, "but to be instigators is completely unacceptable."
    Jennings suggested protest organizers may want to file a complaint with the two forces. Coles said his union has not done so yet but is seeking legal advice.
    New Democrat MP Libby Davies, who participated in the summit demonstrations, said the video evidence raises "hugely serious questions" about the role of the police at contentious international meetings.
    "It seems like they create this environment, a show of force, that sets it up for a confrontation," she said.
    "I think we need to know who authorized this, how high up does this go?"
    Coles, president of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers union, speculated on two possible motives for the police to try to incite a riot at the summit, where Harper, U.S. President George Bush and Mexican President Felipe Calderon were discussing the Security and Prosperity Partnership between their three countries.
    He said police may have wanted to justify the millions spent on security for the summit by creating an incident they could quell. But he said there may also have been a political motive to discredit the protesters as violent radicals, thereby deflecting attention from the substance of their opposition to the SPP.
    "This is the face of (the SPP), where people can't even ask a question without having to face these kinds of goons. It's time that all the secrecy and backroom deals end," said Coles.
    "The SPP is a fraud, just like those three so-called activists were."

Brandon Sun Online
    Last edited by twitchy; August 22nd, 2007 at 07:56 PM.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Complete 180. They now admit it.

Quebec police admit they went undercover at Montebello protest

Last Updated: Thursday, August 23, 2007 | 7:52 PM ET

Quebec provincial police admitted Thursday that their officers disguised themselves as demonstrators during the protest at the North American leaders summit in Montebello, Que.

However, the police force denied allegations its undercover officers were there on Monday to provoke the crowd and instigate violence.

"At no time did the police of the Sûreté du Québec act as instigators or commit criminal acts," the police force said in French in a news release. "It is not in the police force's policies, nor in its strategies, to act in that manner."

"At all times, they responded within their mandate to keep order and security." With rocks!

Police said the undercover officers were only at the protest to locate and identify non-peaceful protesters in order to prevent any incidents.
    Police came under fire Tuesday, when a video surfaced on YouTube that appeared to show three plain-clothed police officers at the protest with bandanas and masks across their faces. One of the men was carrying a rock.

In the video, protest organizers in suits order the men to put the rock down, call them police instigators and try unsuccessfully to unmask them.
    Protest organizers on Wednesday played the video for the media at a news conference in Ottawa. One of the organizers, union leader Dave Coles, explained that one reason protesters knew the men's true identities was because they were wearing the same boots as other police officers.
    Coles on Wednesday said the only thing he didn't know was whether the men were Quebec police, RCMP or hired security officers.

"[Our union] believes that the security force at Montebello were ordered to infiltrate our peaceful assembly and provoke incidents," Coles, who is president of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union, said at the time.

The protest at Montebello occurred outside the Fairmont Le Château Montebello hotel, near Ottawa, where Prime Minister Stephen Harper was meeting with U.S. President George W. Bush and Mexican President Felipe Calderon. The summit about border security, free trade and other issues began Monday and finished Tuesday.

Protesters said they gathered to voice their concern about Canada losing control of its energy, water resources and borders. Others decried what they said was a high level of secrecy at the summit.
    Quebec police admit they went undercover at Montebello protest

Elite Member

Caught with their pants down this time, weren't they! Dumb slugs.

DOH!

Maybe they should make themselves a list of things to remember for the next time they incite a riot. I find lists to be very helpful for remembering important details. Number 1: remind the undercover officers to not wear their fucking work boots for Christ's sake or any other identifying articles of clothing.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    To clarify what a provocateur is; it's an undercover police officer that hides in a protest group and tries to rally the other protestors to start violence, making the riot police engage the protestors and arrest them. IT's actually a well known tactic by police to stop protests and arrest innocent protestors.

It's a pretty sick way of underminding the right to protest and with poltical unrest, is happening more often towards protests that are smaller in scale. What do you guys think about this?
    I am pretty naive, I didn't even know this was done. Twitchy's follow-up articles are an eye-opener.

Thread Information