Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: A completely random but intriguing thought about people with down-syndrome

Eli

Default A completely random but intriguing thought about people with down-syndrome

So I was talking with my friend the other day on the phone. His brother is 10 and has down-syndrome. We were talking about how, no matter how different their parents look, THEY always look exactly the same. I wondered how this was even possible. He told me.
    Anyway then he mentioned how he always found it interesting that orangutans shared an uncanny resemblance to people with down-syndrome. I laughed at first because it was funny, but then I laughed because it was true, and then I stopped laughing because I wondered if there was more to this than meets the eyes, and it turns out Brian (the guy) was serious about it too.
    So what do you think? I'm not making fun. This is a serious thread.

the PC crowd is going to tear you a new one for starting this thread but i'm an evil bitch and i have to say i do see the resemblance.
    not sure if there's more to it than that though.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    the PC crowd is going to tear you a new one for starting this thread
    No kidding!

This ought to get good.

*pulls up chair, grabs popcorn*

Allie hasn't exactly invented political correctness.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^^
    and that's why we love him
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hmmm... I have noticed all children/adults with D/S resemble one another, but in my 37 years alive, I have never once thought they looked like orangutans.

Everyone I know, when faced with a family member who has some sort of birth defect, whether physical or otherwise, always learns as much as possible about defect - did your friend happen to say or know why all children are born looking similar or did he just go as far as compare his brother's looks to a monkey?

SVZ

I think a parent who has a child with down-syndrome would argue differently.

It's kind of how people of one race think that people of another race all look the same, it has to do with familiarity.

Silver Member

Ok, this has to be the most offensive post to date, but I am restraining the urge to go crazy on this one and explain what I do know about it. Mental retardation is a chromosome abnormality. It is the same few chromosomes (#15 is one I think) with variations in each child which is why they have the same similar abnormalities in head/facial structure. Just like many autistic children like my son have large heads. It is same set of gene abnormality. I guess they are bobble head dolls, huh? But, I tell you what-many of these kids can love you in a way as you have never been loved before, because they do not see race, wealth, or any of the other shallow things most of us use as instruments of worth. My son will never drive a car or graduate from school or have a family of his own. Those are hard things to come to terms with as a parent. I feel like I have to live forever so I will know he will be taken care of. The monkey comment is disgusting. You would not dare say that about an African American, and by doing so you are saying that these people are less than human. The first step in making a group of people disposable is to make them less than human. Sickening.
    twitchy2.0 and Clubber Lang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    I think a parent who has a child with down-syndrome would argue differently.

It's kind of how people of one race think that people of another race all look the same, it has to do with familiarity.
    No. The facial features of people with Down's Syndrom are actually directly related to the genetic defect. They're part of the symptoms.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I think that if someone observed a similarity between these folks & another animal, it wouldn't be *that* big a deal. There's just something about saying someone looks like a primate that evokes such a visceral response. Even if it might be true.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ya-ya_sister View Post
    Ok, this has to be the most offensive post to date, but I am restraining the urge to go crazy on this one and explain what I do know about it. Mental retardation is a chromosome abnormality. It is the same few chromosomes (#15 is one I think) with variations in each child which is why they have the same similar abnormalities in head/facial structure. Just like many autistic children like my son have large heads. It is same set of gene abnormality. I guess they are bobble head dolls, huh? But, I tell you what-many of these kids can love you in a way as you have never been loved before, because they do not see race, wealth, or any of the other shallow things most of us use as instruments of worth. My son will never drive a car or graduate from school or have a family of his own. Those are hard things to come to terms with as a parent. I feel like I have to live forever so I will know he will be taken care of. The monkey comment is disgusting. You would not dare say that about an African American, and by doing so you are saying that these people are less than human. The first step in making a group of people disposable is to make them less than human. Sickening.
    What I find sickening is that you think anything that isn't human is disposable.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

I think Allie was going purely off observation, and yes.. people with downs syndrome DO look like monkeys a lot of the time.

A lot of black people (especially the quite dark variety who reside in the actual african continent) also resemble their simian relatives in much the same way.

It's not bigotry, or cruelty, or racist, or what have you.. it's observation. They have similar facial characteristics that someone obviously sees.

There was no other intent or connotation behind it, you just think there is because of your situation. Take a deep breath, a step back and look what he wrote.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hell never mind black people or people with down's syndrome looking like apes. I give you exhibit A, and rest my case.

George W. Bush or Chimpanzee?

I have noticed that people with down syndrome all resemble each other but I can't see the resemblence between orangutans & them. I have noticed that people (without downsyndrome) sometimes resemble monkeys regardless of race. Anyone remember Danny Wood?

He looks like a damn Monkey if I've ever seen one.lol
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Awwwww, poor Danny, he did have the best body of all of the NKOTB. But you speak the truth, there are plenty of non-mentally challenged white people walking around who bear a good resemblence to Bubbles the Chimp or Ed the Horse, so lets not get all high and mighty folks. Teh Fug discriminates against no one.
    Last edited by gardenofeve; June 27th, 2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: to change a word

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information