Thread: The street orphans of Baghdad

Unhappy The street orphans of Baghdad

The Street Orphans Of Baghdad, Thousands Of Homeless Kids Live On The Street In The War Zone, Without Shelter Or Aid - CBS News

Orphans like Fatema, selling incense for pennies, aren't hard to find on Baghdad's streets. At 11 years old, dodging cars, she's barely more than a beggar, CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann reports.

"We're orphans," Fatema says.

Why don't they go to school?

"Because we need the money," she says.

Baghdad has thousands of orphans — no one knows the exact number. There are too many for the eight orphanages in Iraq's capital city. Some facilities crowd 10 kids to a small bedroom.

Other than the orphanages, will anyone take these children?

"No," says Quammer al-Janni, who coordinates orphan programs for the Red Crescent, the Arab Red Cross.

The Iraqi government does little to help. In Iraqi culture, orphans are mostly scorned — and seldom adopted.

They're scared. Many of them are angry — and more violent than other kids.

"I think I am going to cry," Quammer says. "Because I have nothing to do for them. I have nothing to say for them."

Adults who work with orphans here are scared for them — and for Iraq. They say, "Don't forget Saddam Hussein was raised as an orphan."

The last time Fahad saw his parents, militiamen were taking them to their death. A Sunni Muslim, he won't play with Shia children.

Another child Strassmann met, Ayaat, is a Shia, who says she can't live with Sunnis.

This is how it begins.

To survive, Mushtaq quit school. He learns on the street, selling perfume and gum to strangers.

In faces like his, Quammer sees Iraq's real worry — its next generation of insurgents and terrorists. That's why she spends six days a week helping orphans; she saves only Saturdays for her own kids.

"There is no future for any Iraqi people. Not just for the orphan babies, for all the Iraqi people," she said. "We don’t have any future."

Ask Fatema about her future. It's simply survival.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    This is how it begins.
    So true. This is just another reason why I opposed the war. The surviving children of those who got killed in the war will pick up arms more easily than the generation before.

If my parents were killed for no apparent reason ( to me) when I was a kid by Westeners and I would be told that the West is the true enemy of my religion and people, I would vehemently subscribe to it. I think these wars dont end terrorism, they fuel it.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    [url=http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/08/eveningnews/main2776590.shtml]The last time Fahad saw his parents, militiamen were taking them to their death. A Sunni Muslim, he won't play with Shia children.

Another child Strassmann met, Ayaat, is a Shia, who says she can't live with Sunnis.

This is how it begins.
    The point is its about the seeds of religous hatred between the sunni and shia. Not you and them.

There is no future in iraq because of the iraqis.

The one good thing Hussein did was maintain unity by supressing the power of the church and creating something more immediate to fear than allah.

The problem with playing god is eventually you think you are god.

A 'God' with a military that big is a threat to the region, a region that is nuclear capable and already unstable.

This is like the problem child that just will not behave - you want to spank it but the new age parents will kick up a stink if you do.

One solution is the french method ( beautiful irony consdering they opposed the war because they wouldnt get any contracts out of it ). Sierra Leone went off the rails too, but the french sent in the foreign legion - kicked out the press and NGO's ( No witnesses ) and within a few weeks the situation was resolved.

If you want to support terrorism - bring the troops home.
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

Well, it wasn't the Iraquis who arbitrarily divided up their country. That was the British. Bush was warned, repeatedly, by his own intelligence (CIA, Pentagon, any thinking person) that civil war would be the result of his war. Terrorism has flourished, not diminished, as a result and there is plenty of evidence to back that up.

So your solution is to murder every living thing so that there are no witnesses to even more atrocities? Yeah, that'll work. And you are wrong about Sierra Leone, too. I have a good friend who was there and she tells an entirely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    The point is its about the seeds of religous hatred between the sunni and shia. Not you and them.

If you want to support terrorism - bring the troops home.
    I got that. Since the article speaks of orphaned children who are growing up to be prejudiced, i was taking the example a little further.

Also, do tell how terrorism has come down since the troops have been in Iraq.

Thread Information