Thread: British official: body armour orders were delayed to hide the decision to go to war

Default British official: body armour orders were delayed to hide the decision to go to war

David Williams, the MoD's (Ministery of Defense) director of capability, appearing at an hearing told that companies could not be asked to bid to supply the kit as it would have revealed preparations were already in hand for an invasion.

Senior MoD officials have said that ministers did not want it to appear that they had already decided to join the US-led invasion

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/s...974940,00.html

That's for the UK - what about the US?

I think massing billions of dollars of tanks, ships, planes and troops on the iraqi border was a big sign that the attempt at 'diplomacy' wasnt going to amount to much.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

And so soldiers were sent off without proper equipment

Kit delays led to soldier's death

A soldier who was shot and killed in Iraq died because of "unforgivable and inexcusable" delays in providing body armour to troops, a coroner has ruled. Sgt Steven Roberts, 33, from Shipley, West Yorkshire, was shot dead in a "friendly fire" incident as he manned a checkpoint in March 2003.
    He had been ordered to give up his enhanced combat body armour three days before his death, due to shortages.
    The MOD said the coroner's view will be examined as a "matter of urgency".
    Oxfordshire assistant deputy coroner Andrew Walker recorded a narrative verdict at Sgt Roberts' Oxford inquest.
    Sgt Roberts, originally from Wadebridge, Cornwall, was the first British soldier killed in action in Iraq.
    The inquest heard delays supplying the £167 piece of kit meant more than 2,000 soldiers went into combat without the new armour.
    Rest of article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...rd/6190337.stm

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Sue the pants off the government
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I think massing billions of dollars of tanks, ships, planes and troops on the iraqi border was a big sign that the attempt at 'diplomacy' wasnt going to amount to much.
    The decision to go to war was taken a year ahead - Time to open an enquiry on Rumsfeld's-we-go-to-war-with-the-army-we've-got-not-the-one-we wished-we-had assertion

Thread Information