Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boston U. group offers Caucasian Achievement & Recognition Scholarship

Question Boston U. group offers Caucasian Achievement & Recognition Scholarship

Looking to draw attention to what they call the "worst form of bigotry confronting America today," Boston University's College Republicans are circulating an application for a "Caucasian Achievement and Recognition Scholarship" that requires applicants be at least 25 percent Caucasian.

"Did we do this to give a scholarship to white kids? Of course not," the scholarship reads. "Did we do it to trigger a discussion on what we believe to be the morally wrong practice of basing decisions in our schools and our jobs on racial preferences rather than merit? Absolutely."

The scholarship, which is privately funded by the BUCR without the support of the university, is meant to raise awareness, group members say. BUCR member argue that racial preferences are a form of "bigotry." The group has a similar view on affirmative action.

The application for the $250 scholarship, due Nov. 30, requires applicants be full-time BU undergraduate students and one-fourth Caucasian and maintain at least a 3.2 cumulative GPA. Applicants must submit two essays, one describing the applicant's ancestry and one describing "what it means to you to be a Caucasian-American today."

BUCR President Joe Mroszczyk said he spoke to Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore before publicly releasing the scholarship to make sure it would be legal. Mroszczyk said BUCR members also talked to others beforehand, some of whom were initially "agitated or upset" but understood the point after members explained themselves, he said.

"If you give out a white scholarship, it's racist, and if you give out a Hispanic scholarship, it is OK," the College of Arts and Sciences senior said. "It is the main point. We are not doing this scholarship as a white-supremacy scholarship."

La Fuerza Co-Chair Sara-Marie Pons, who is also on the Admissions Student Diversity Board, said although she agrees with BUCR's claim that racial preference is "contradictory to our American ideals of freedom and equality," she feels American history justifies today's affirmative action." Our country oppressed people of color for centuries while everyone else who was 'preferred' continued to succeed and lead our country in all aspects," the School of Management senior said in an email. "The goal of a university in striving to admit more students of color is a positive movement to increase the diversity of its institution."

Pons said the university's diversity creates a "better learning environment" and "dynamic discussion." She said she believes minority-specific scholarships serve an important function.

"While I can see the controversy over scholarships toward specific ethnic groups, we need to keep in mind its intention," she said. "The [group-specific] scholarship is there to increase the interest of students in that group to continue their education and reach the equality that we all strive for."

After the recipient is chosen, BUCR plans to host an event to honor the winner and speak about the award, as well as hold a forum discussion about racial preference, Mroszczyk said.

Mroszczyk said the BUCR borrowed the scholarship idea from the College Republicans at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I., which sponsored a similar award in 2003. Former RWU College Republicans President Jason Mattera said the "whites-only" scholarship was meant to be a parody, but it brought harsh media attention to their campus.

Mattera, now the Young American's Foundation National Spokesman, a group supporting the conservative movement, said the idea was spurred when RWU administrators "compiled a list of scholarships for people of color only." Although Mattera, a Puerto Rican, would have been eligible for some of these scholarships, he said he still wanted to "expose the inequities."

RWU College Republicans adviser June Speakman said the organization started receiving complaints as soon as it released the scholarship. Despite protests, 15 students applied for the scholarship.

"It was a way to make their protests highly visible, provocative," she said. "They stuck to their guns. They were steadfast."

Speakman said the scholarship was discontinued after its first year when the national and state Republican parties severed ties with RWU College Republicans.

Mattera said people were aware the scholarship had "nothing to do with racism," but the Republican National Committee still did not want to be affiliated with the scholarship.

"The RNC under [former chair] Ed Gillespie disagreed with me," Mattera said. "For Ed Gillespie to be dismissive or to imply that there was racism, he lacked any type of -- to put it bluntly -- balls in standing up against racial preferences. It would have been a great opportunity."

Regarding BU's adaptation of this scholarship, Mattera said he is glad the BUCR is interested in continuing to promote awareness.

"I guarantee that once this happens, be ready for hypocritical charges of racism, and be ready to be attacked," Mattera said, "but once they attack you, the hypocrisy is exposed."

http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com/...epublisher.com
    Frighteningly enough from a conceptual point of view, I agree with this. Why is it not racist to have a Hispanic/Black/Chinese/Insert any race but white here scholarship or award?

Unfortunately, the Republican party's reputation for being racist, bigoted pigfuckers undermines any legit message they may have.

Well, technically speaking, *white* isn't a race. And only 25% caucasian? That means that plenty of people who identify as black or African American could still qualify.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Caucasian is an ethnicity, as far as I know MrsDark.

Um yeah, white is a race just like black or asian is. See? This is the descrimmination us honkies face every day!

*rubs sobbing from the board*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yes, it is. I keep being told that as a member of the "majority" ethnicity here in the Lower Mainland, I should have greater sensitivity to the plight of minorities. But the reality is that in most neighbourhoods I've lived in here, I AM the minority. There aren't too many blue-eyed blondes in these parts any more.

We have Chinese politicians who will say things like "It's important the mayor of Richmond be Chinese." There are a lot of Chinese people in Richmond, in fact the MAJORITY. Huh? Can you imagine the shitstorm if a white pol had said that it was important that the mayor be white? The double standard is alive and well.

There aren't too many blond haired/blue eyed people IN TOTAL.. you're a dying breed muhdear. In 40 years, you'll all be gone.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I know, we're a dying tribe...but my point was more general. My hubby's daughters went to public school at a time when there was a lot of hue and cry about minority rights in schools. Out of more than 800 students at one high school in Burnaby, 80-some per cent were Chinese. My hubby's kids are quite Latino looking (from their Peruvian mother) and they definitely felt ostracized. But because they weren't in the "minority," what they experienced and said about it was deemed racist. Hello?

Yeah.. we're oppressed.

The time of european racial hegemony is over. Fun ride while it lasted, except for the sunburns.

LOL. Vancouver is a melting pot, except that Hong Kong and Taiwanese Chinese came in with the feds' investment immigration fiasco and have made no effort to integrate for the most part. People give them a wide berth anyway because of their attitude, especially Chinese from the mainland and those who've been here a while. They can't stand them.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

"While I can see the controversy over scholarships toward specific ethnic groups, we need to keep in mind its intention,"

As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I understand where this backlash is coming from. If you are an average student, but a minority, there are scholarships for you. If you are any other race but white, there are scholorships for you. Most scholarships aren't purely academic, anyway (meaning sports scholorships). If you are a white student who is a good student, but maybe doesn't have a 4.0, there is nothing for you. We can talk about history and oppression of minorities until Jesus comes, but if you are the white kid lacking the income to pay for school and there are no scholarships for you that doesn't mean jack shit. Loans? Sure, but then everybody else could apply for those,too. It just grates me that many people subscribe to the very inaccurate belief that if you are white you have money. Telling a white kid who lives in a trailer park that all the presidents have been white really doesn't do shit for his situation.

^^^ exactly, thank you. You spoke my mind sans the swearing or exclamation points.

I know a few of what I call "professional Indians." Aboriginals who have made it their life's work to get all the grant/scholarship/investment money they can from the various branches of govt. I know of at least four people who have built their businesses strictly because they were native and received big cash handouts. One woman I knew had no less than SEVEN grants in one year to write her memoirs. She had no writing experience at all. She was 24, and only 1/4 native to start with!!!!!

I give her credit for her ability to fill out the forms and make the proposals but come on! There are precious few grants available to white writers, and the ones that are, aren't based on race but merit, as they should be, and open to everyone.

I know another woman who runs a PR business here in town and her entire business is bankrolled by govt money. Not only has she never shelled out one dime in investment for her business, ALL of her contracts are govt-based. A classic example of a "professional Indian." The last I heard, she had gotten $40,000 to write a book, which she never wrote. And nobody asked for the money back either. She currently lives in a several million dollar home in West Van. and routinely talks about how oppressed she is.

A lot of her people may be oppressed, but she's milking the system for all its worth. And no, she doesn't "give back" to the community.

I think it's really polarized with Aboriginals. Either they're "professional Indians" as you said, or they're on the DTES. And it's really unfortunate.

Eh, I knew half n half natives.. they moved into the nicest house on the block and fucking TRASHED it. Holes in the walls, doors.. but they always had brand spanking new vehicles every few months and their kids were unleashed hellions.. totally ill raised.

They always had big drunken parties on their property and were utterly uncivilized. They brought property values down on the whole block because their house looked like ass, with crap strewn on the lawn and junk everwhere whereas the rest of the street was very well kept.

Blech.

I've mostly known extremes as ohmy said. There's a lot of white trash out there too -- don't you know that rusted-out cars and parts make lovely lawn ornaments? Saves on the landscaping, too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information