Thread: new Canadian armed forces recruitment commercial..

Question new Canadian armed forces recruitment commercial..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6vK_JSSTo

I saw this yesterday, and was actually quite taken with it. Understated, well rounded.. it showed the peacekeeping and humanitarian efforts coupled with ACTUAL combat scenarios (heaven forbid an army actually be involved in combat)and I was impressed.

Artistic, well balanced, and didn't shy away from the realities nor did it get wrapped up in jingoist rah-rah combat glorification. The over-arching theme is HELPING PEOPLE and making a better world, which I thought tapped into the Canadian perception of what our armed forces should primarily be used for, while not disregarding the realities of the situations they find themselves in day to day.

A much different view than the usual lame Canadian ads which are merely a shadowy rip off of the gung-ho, American blow-shit-up-while-going-to-college ads which tend to be damned loud and abrasive.

From an artistiv point of view, I think it's great. Less is definitely more. The content is pretty well thought out and paced nicely. Interesting that there's no dialogue, merely concepts.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

Grimmlock I would love to watch it becasue my Husband is actually in Basic Training right now and doing great, but I have the worlds crappiest pc ever!!! I love the way you desribed it though, thanks for that it gives me a taste until I see it on the boob tube!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") I'm just helping MissKat help bunny take over the world!

Oddly enough, I was watching The Comedy Network around 10-11 pm when it came on
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Interesting. Comparing it to the recruitment commercial I see most in America - the one with Marines climbing a sheer rock face to loud, pulsating music - this isn't nearly as self serving. The commercials for American armed forced focus only on the pride and glory of being in them, not the reality of it.

Yeah, exactly. This commercial really ties into the whole Canadian sentiment of "yeah, we have an army but we're trying to HELP people! Be nice!".

That's the general atmosphere in the military, they join because they want to actually help people around the world. Canada's military for the last 40 or so years has been mostly involved with peacekeeping and humanitarian/disaster relief stuff and that's what people mostly join for.

Thread Information