Thread: Only in OHIO!‘Jihad’ car commercial upsets U.S. Muslims

Default Only in OHIO!‘Jihad’ car commercial upsets U.S. Muslims

Great way to make national news Columbus.

Updated: 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
    REUTERS

CINCINNATI - A car commercial proclaiming a jihad on the U.S. auto market and offering “Fatwa Fridays” (holy shit!!!)with free swords for the kids is offensive and should not be aired, Muslim leaders said on Sunday.

The radio advertisement for the Dennis Mitsubishi car dealership in Columbus, Ohio, has “a whole jihad theme,” said Adnan Mirza, director of the Columbus office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

“They are planning on launching a jihad on the automotive market and their representatives would be wearing burqas .(this part would be fun though would they be sparkly and pink??? ).. ,” Mirza said. “They mentioned the pope in there and also about giving rubber swords out to the kiddies -- really just reprehensible-type comments.”

Details of the radio ad, which has not yet been broadcast, have been reported in the local media, but officials at the dealership declined to comment about the content of the radio spot.

Two employees at the dealership said they had been deluged with calls about the commercial.
    “The ad has has never been released, it is not out for public listening,” said one employee who declined to give his name. He would not say whether the dealership had changed its mind about airing the commercial.

Tokyo-based Mitsubishi Motors Corp. could not immediately be reached for comment.
    Mirza said several local radio stations had already rejected the ad and he hoped the controversy would convince the dealership to rethink its sales strategy.

He also said the Council on American-Islamic Relations would likely contact the dealer to “offer some kind of cultural or sensitivity awareness training.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14990383/

good God..here is part of it: "Sales representatives "will be wearing burqas all weekend long," the ad says. One of the vehicles on sale "can comfortably seat up to 12 jihadists in the back."

"Our prices are lower than the evildoers’ every day. Just ask the pope! " the ad says. "Friday is fatwa Friday, with free rubber swords for the kiddies."

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

oh dear. Sojiita, maybe you are not psycho enough to live in Ohio

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

“The ad has has never been released, it is not out for public listening,”
    I'm confuzzed. If it wasn't to be aired, why was it made? Anyway, it sounds like a MADtv skit.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

The company is adamant that they did nothing wrong and are going to air the commercial(as soon as someone will agree to air it).

"The dealership claims nothing in the ad is intended to promote a negative stereotype of Islam. A group that previewed the ad didn't raise any objections, although no one from the group was Islamic, Dennis said.

Radio executives who heard the ad last week thought it was funny and aggressive, dealership general manager Aaron Masterson said.

"This is one where we feel we're taking a bull's-eye on terrorists," Masterson said. "After all the nonsense that the terrorists put the public through, they're fair game."

The ad, written and produced by the company, will begin airing next week, although he was uncertain of which radio stations had accepted the spot, Dennis aid."

^^They will be lucky not to be the recipient of some terror attack if they do go ahead and air it.
    EDIT-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Car Dealer Drops 'Jihad' Radio Ad
    http://www.nbc4i.com//news//9929901/detail.html

Last edited by Sojiita; September 25th, 2006 at 03:14 PM.

It just seems to very rude & distasteful. I would not buy a car at such a disrespectful place of business.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

As funny as I think the employees-wearing -the -burqas would be..I cannot believe they would be so stupid as to come up with this kind of thing..it really is pretty bad..I hardly think they would have something like 'Spade Saturdays' with people in black face handing out fried chicken and watermelon slices. Really what did they expect with such a ridiculous commercial? Apparently(if you are to believe Ashcroft and his national televised address) we already were the target of a planned terrorist attack at Polaris on the north side of Columbus. Also there was a fire and vandalism at a major mosque here after 9-11. They really should not be stirring up this shit.

I mean, I can agree with political correctness maybe getting a little over the top nowadays, but this is just stepping over the line. I agree with Elise. It's rude, disrespectful and in poor taste.

I wonder if i can get a bigger cup holder if I behead an infidel.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

Just out of curiosity, if this was not about Islam and Muslims, but about Christianity and Christians, how many here would find this absolutely hilarious (or, at the very least, somewhat amusing)?

I don't find either one offensive but Christianity, being more pervasive and familiar in north america, just wouldn't seem as 'out there.'

What does christianity have that tops a sparkly burqa or swords? Speaking in tongues?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if this was not about Islam and Muslims, but about Christianity and Christians, how many here would find this absolutely hilarious (or, at the very least, somewhat amusing)?
    No--it would not be funny.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
    i would still think it was pretty funny, but grimm's right, it wouldn't be as fresh... it's been done for ages.
    we've already got monty python and mel brook's inquisition song and dance numner if you want to laugh about christianity. so why not burqas and jihadist car salesmen?

Our prices are lower than the evildoers’ every day.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information