Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Gillette: The Best Men can Be Ad

Default Gillette: The Best Men can Be Ad

So I've been bombarded with commentary on this ad for the last day or so on social media and I cannot for the life of me see where so many are taking offense. Quite frankly, I'm scared to say much of anything about it because those who are angry are REALLY angry and filled with bile and awfulness and I am hesitant to engage.

Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't quite get the upset.
    Mrs Fawlty likes this.

This is the first time I've watched it - I've been hearing about it for days, too. I have utterly no idea why any guy would be upset by this.

I’m terrified to say anything political or politically correct on SM, and I hate myself for it. I look at it as .... you’re not going to change my opinion and I’m not going to change your opinion, so why lose friends and family members over it? IRL, I have very few people that are on the same political line as me. There is a wide range of people ... some I think are just stubbornly ignorant, some are just staying within party lines and some that I consider very evolved and their opinions generally receive my respect but I don’t know how we became so far apart from each other politically. Quite honestly, I think the whole world (country) has gone mad. I’m not willing to lose family and friends over politics, of all things. So I keep my mouth shut while they post things I don’t believe or things I feel are morally bankrupt. When I see someone post something I agree with (usually from here), I smile or chuckle but I don’t say anything unless it’s on FB GR.

This Gillette ad ... maybe a little preachy, but I find nothing wrong with reminding people to check their moral code. I’m trying to raise an angsty teenage boy to become a decent man and this ad talks about things that I’ve been instilling in him since he was able to understand. This is in a world when those things are met with chants of being snowflakes and liberal (I’m not a liberal, you don’t get to label me) ... I’d rather be morally correct than politically correct. And to the people that are angry with this ad ... does that mean they’re FOR bullying, sexual harassment, physically fighting, etc.?
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

The last dumb-ass relative who brought up you-know-who on the phone basically got this from me: "If you've watched the news at all lately, he's a criminal and he's going to be indicted and tried and go to jail. He'll be lucky to serve out his first term before that happens." The person immediately changed the subject.
    Nevan, gas_chick, sputnik and 4 others like this.

I think it is a great ad and I find it odd that so many are people are speaking against it.
    Nevan, Kittylady, aggie and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This is the first time I've watched it - I've been hearing about it for days, too. I have utterly no idea why any guy would be upset by this.
    The ones who still engage in this type of behavior?
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

I haven't read any actual backlash about it. Only comments on this backlash I don't see.

I think it is preachy but not offensive. Maybe men are just tired of being told they are total shits all of the time since many of them are not.

Unless you're a Trumper (female Trumpers for that matter). Then fuck you.
    czb, BITTER, Kittylady and 2 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

It is a great ad. Pretty much makes me cry whenever I see it. If you are one of those good men, I don't think you give a shit about this ad. You just think yep that's me and I rock. If you suck, then you get pissed and start flushing your Gillette razors down the toilet along with your Nike's, etc.
    Nevan and Kittylady like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

it's preachy and kinda ham-fisted but well meaning and i find it hilarious - but also kind of disturbing - how right-wing snowflakes are losing their shit over this. it's like the cheerios ad with the biracial family all over again.
    C_is_for_Cookie and Lalasnake like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The backlash actually proves how desperately we need more of those kinds of ads.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

There was a part in the video where I got upset. Ironically, it's where one boy has the other pinned to the ground, and the dad takes one off the other. When I was a kid, I had my little brother (4 years younger) pinned to the ground. I don't remember the circumstances, except that a huge shadow swept in from the right and knocked me right off of him. It was my dad. He picked up my brother and walked away with him back to the house. After that incident, it was like I woke up and all three of us were close for the rest of our lives.

Piers Morgan has been shrieking about this advert. I've read comments on the ad that blow my mind. As Nevan asked, "And to the people that are angry with this ad ... does that mean they’re FOR bullying, sexual harassment, physically fighting, etc.?"

The other complaints have been made by women calling Gillette hypocrites for making this ad while continuing their "pink tax" - charging more for women's razors. While I understand and sympathize with their issue, I'm not sure it is relevant to the discussion. I mean, we could just buy the men's disposables, right?

I am so grateful for all of your comments, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one stumped by this response but I really do wish that someone who is REALLY angry about it would explain the anger because I would like so much to understand. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a population who is receptive to the inquiry. On the YouTube video there are a handful of people who are trying to ask questions in the comments but they are shut down as 'paid commenters', 'shills', 'soy boys', 'feminazis' or 'whores' it's just awful.
    Nevan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    The other complaints have been made by women calling Gillette hypocrites for making this ad while continuing their "pink tax" - charging more for women's razors. While I understand and sympathize with their issue, I'm not sure it is relevant to the discussion. I mean, we could just buy the men's disposables, right?
    it's relevant because there is absolutely no justification for charging more for women's stuff than men's. and they all do it - pharmaceuticals, clothing brands, etc.
    i switched to another company altogether that delivers replacement blades in the mail every couple of months and costs a fraction of what the gillette and other major brands do.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    it's relevant because there is absolutely no justification for charging more for women's stuff than men's. and they all do it - pharmaceuticals, clothing brands, etc.
    i switched to another company altogether that delivers replacement blades in the mail every couple of months and costs a fraction of what the gillette and other major brands do.
    I remember this pink tax thing with razors in particular and just went to look and on US Amazon the pink/blue disposables seem to be the same, 18 razors for $12.94 .. so maybe there is some movement in this regard. I do see the argument that it's something Gillette can do internally to assist in these changes they are calling for in their commercial so I think it's relevant but I do wonder if they have addressed it and are now taking other steps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information