• 1 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 4 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 1 Post By gas_chick
  • 2 Post By misrule
  • 3 Post By Alysheba

Thread: texas state rep calls for jail time for women who get abortions

czb

Default texas state rep calls for jail time for women who get abortions

WASHINGTON ― A Republican lawmaker in Texas who proposed a bill that would criminalize abortion said the policy would force women to be “more personally responsible” for their sexual behavior.

“Right now, it’s real easy,” State Rep. Tony Tinderholt (R) told the Texas Observer. “Right now, they don’t make it important to be personally responsible because they know that they have a backup of ‘oh, I can just go get an abortion.’ Now, we both know that consenting adults don’t always think smartly sometimes. But consenting adults need to also consider the repercussions of the sexual relationship that they’re gonna have, which is a child.”

Tinderholt’s bill, the Abolition of Abortion in Texas Act, would ban abortion at every stage of pregnancy and amend the state’s penal code to allow women and providers to be charged with murder for the procedure. The bill has no exceptions for rape or incest, because Tinderhold said he doesn’t think “there should be any exceptions to murder, no matter what.”

Although Texas Republicans recently declared it a priority to abolish abortion in the state, criminalizing the procedure would be blatantly unconstitutional. The Supreme Court decided in 1973 that women have a right to a safe and legal abortion up until the fetus would be viable outside the womb, and last year the high court struck down a pair of abortion restrictions in Texas that made it more difficult for women to access the procedure.

It’s unclear whether Texas’ state legislature will take up Tinderholt’s bill, which he introduced last week. But he told the Observer that he and his family have already been receiving death threats since he filed it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...0b481c76b6543?

the citation says HuffPo but it reads more like the Onion. this can't be true??

When will they realize that not every need for an abortion is because of unprotected, unplanned, or an unwanted pregnancy, or simply not giving a shit? What happens if a pregnancy happened because of botched sterilization, male or female?
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Silver Member

Jfc!!!

The bill has no exceptions for rape or incest, because Tinderhold said he doesn’t think “there should be any exceptions to murder, no matter what.”
    what about ectopic pregnancies?

This is what happens when you have such poor sex education in a country, in particular, shitty education on women's bodies and health in general. I can't believe we live in a world where facts are so highly disdained in favour of religion
    Serendipity and twitchy2.0 like this.

People are assholes.

I want all of these people to explain to me how come people who abuse or neglect their born, living babies and children rarely see jail time for that, but abortion, OMG, what a fucking crime.

I don't understand the stupidity.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

How about the irresponsible males who contribute to the situation? Takes two to tango, nimrod.
    sparkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    WASHINGTON ― A Republican lawmaker in Texas who proposed a bill that would criminalize abortion said the policy would force women to be “more personally responsible” for their sexual behavior.
    Because the responsibility falls solely on the shoulders of women. FUCK YOU!
    sparkles and misrule like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I hate all of these pious forced birth, fetus worshipping assholes who don't give two shits about kids are already here. And I don't care if a woman has multiple abortions for any reason, because she should not even have to give a reason because she is not a freaking human incubator. And furthermore, having an abortion for personal or economic reasons is taking personal responsibility instead of popping out a kid you neither want nor can care for.
    missbazilb likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by constancespry View Post
    i hate all of these pious forced birth, fetus worshipping assholes who don't give two shits about kids are already here. And i don't care if a woman has multiple abortions for any reason, because she should not even have to give a reason because she is not a freaking human incubator. And furthermore, having an abortion for personal or economic reasons is taking personal responsibility instead of popping out a kid you neither want nor can care for.

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

- Sister Joan
    Chittister
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    "I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

- Sister Joan
    Chittister
    This is how I feel, but put far more elegantly that I have managed to do. All these nutters with their anti-abortion BS on my facebook piss me off because they don't do a goddamn thing to help any children who don't belong to their broods of 5 or 6, and their 50 grandchildren they have before age 50. I ask them, what about that kid that weighed 40 pounds at age 8, who died in a room covered in feces? How the fuck is that humane, but abortion isn't. It makes my blood boil. I don't know much about this nun, but what she's saying makes sense. And I could have just liked your post WCG, but the like button disappeared.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Like every fucking post in this thread.

Fuck this bastard. Really the woman is going to jail? What about the man's choices? What is going to happen to him. And they made fun of us for marching like we have all the rights we could ever want or need.
    sparkles likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I really miss the Like button but yes to all of this!

Here's another anti-abortion bastard lawmaker for us all to hate on:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rove-abortion/

A bill advancing in Oklahoma would require a woman to get the written consent of the fetus’s father before obtaining an abortion.
    The bill, which passed out of a House committee Tuesday, would also require a woman “to provide, in writing, the identity of the father of the fetus to the physician who is to perform or induce the abortion,” according to the bill’s language. “If the person identified as the father of the fetus challenges the fact that he is the father, such individual may demand that a paternity test be performed.”
    The bill’s author, Rep. Justin Humphrey (R), could not be reached for comment Tuesday. But in an interview with The Intercept earlier this month, Humphrey said that men should be able to have a say over the fate of a fetus, and suggested that a woman has greater responsibility in a relationship for preventing pregnancy because she would be the “host.”
    “I believe one of the breakdowns in our society is that we have excluded the man out of all of these types of decisions,” he said. “I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of women. “I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant,” he explained. “So that’s where I’m at. I’m like, hey, your body is your body and be responsible with it. But after you’re irresponsible then don’t claim, well, I can just go and do this with another body, when you’re the host and you invited that in.”
    The bill, as well his description of women as hosts who “invited that in,” has provoked outrage from many corners.

Follow

Women's March
    @womensmarch

No, Rep. Justin Humphrey, we are not "hosts." We are women, and we cannot be contained. #WhyIResist
    2:28 PM - 13 Feb 2017

Reproductive rights groups on Tuesday expressed outrage about the measure, which they said clashed with a 1992Supreme Court decision striking down a Pennsylvania law that required a woman to get her husband’s permission before obtaining an abortion.
    They said it could be particularly harmful in cases of domestic violence, when a woman may not be comfortable talking to her husband about such matters.
    “It is shameful that Oklahoma politicians advanced this measure, which is demeaning, patently unconstitutional, and puts women in abusive relationships at risk,” Amanda Allen, senior state legislative counsel for the Center for Reproductive Rights, said in a statement. “We call on the Oklahoma legislature to reject this outrageous measure and trust women to make their own health care decisions.”
    Laura McQuade, the president and CEO of Planned Parenthood Great Plains, called the bill “an affront to women’s autonomy and decision-making capacity, full-stop.”
    The group, which provides services in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma, has seen similar abortion-related legislation proposed in recent years, she said. It was Humphrey’s description of pregnant women as hosts that was most egregious to her.
    “This legislator’s fundamental misunderstanding of human anatomy as well as what birth control is and does is shocking,” McQuade told The Washington Post. “It’s repugnant that we live in a world now that these types of comments are acceptable to say out loud.”
    McQuade likened Humphrey’s comments to the moment in 2012when then-congressman Todd Akin said that in the case of “legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
    In response to the Oklahoma bill, McQuade said an online campaign that encouraged people to donate to Planned Parenthood Great Plains in Humphrey’s name had “started organically from supporters” Monday. The group has not yet tallied how much they had received as a result of the campaign, she said.
    An earlier version of this story included a tweet from an account parodying Dr. Jill Biden, wife of former vice president Joe Biden. This post has been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Because the responsibility falls solely on the shoulders of women. FUCK YOU!

this!!
    Janus and Kittylady like this.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Elite Member

I so despise these freaking asshole males. I refuse to call them men. Good men don't think or behave like these piles of garbage.
    ConstanceSpry, Janus and sparkles like this.

Thread Information