• 2 Post By Witchywoman
  • 6 Post By HWBL
  • 1 Post By rollo
  • 4 Post By dexter7

Thread: Monica Lewinsky's Ted Talk: The Price of Shame

Default Monica Lewinsky's Ted Talk: The Price of Shame

This is a very good presentation.

ADel, Witchywoman and panic like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

This woman was mercilessly slut-shamed and body-shamed, not just by comedians, but by "respected" journalists and politicians. Students consider suicide when they face this at their local schools, Monica faced this on a national and international stage. Good for her for speaking out.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    This woman was mercilessly slut-shamed and body-shamed, not just by comedians, but by "respected" journalists and politicians. Students consider suicide when they face this at their local schools, Monica faced this on a national and international stage. Good for her for speaking out.
    Exactly she had an affair with a married man. Not something to be bragging about or anything. But she was so young and talk about a powerful older man!

She was old enough to know better. Fuck her.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I believe it was the term "youthful indiscretions" that was used to brush off actions of men in their forties and fifties having multiple affairs while in long-established positions of power. The same politicians who called themselves the "moral majority" and were legally mandating their version of "family values".

Monica was the one torn to pieces for political points, with endless jokes to boot (she's fat! she's ugly! har har!). Didn't a sixty-something Letterman have an intern of his own? Monica was, what, two or three years over the drinking age by that point? But she was branded as an immoral monster by these guys who did the exact same thing.

What she did definitely wasn't right, but the punishment did not fit the crime, nor was it doled out equally among offenders.
    If being cunty is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Monica was the one torn to pieces for political points, with endless jokes to boot (she's fat! she's ugly! har har!). Didn't a sixty-something Letterman have an intern of his own? Monica was, what, two or three years over the drinking age by that point? But she was branded as an immoral monster by these guys who did the exact same thing.

What she did definitely wasn't right, but the punishment did not fit the crime, nor was it doled out equally among offenders.
    There is a phrase that goes, "When elephants fight, the grass gets hurt." Clinton had been targeted before the election for all kinds of reasons, legitimate or not. Opposition was waiting to pounce. If you were in his orbit, and were known to be involved with him in any way, you were going to get smeared or trampled. By one side of the other. It's unfortunate that a 21-year-old was entering that situation woefully unprepared.

OH MY I'm so proud of her. She's evolved into such a lovely woman. It's so easy to be mean and judgmental, taking the higher road takes guts and intelligence.
    sprynkles and panic like this.

Bill was one of the best presidents the US ever had, but he's also a sex addict and has little or no control over his urges. Bill was wrong, period. She was young, true. However, I will never, ever, understand that anyone would keep a semen stained dress as a trophee or keepsake. What were her intentions with it? Was she going to show it to friends and family as part of an anecdote? Was she keeping it so that when she'd become a grandmother, she would tell her grandchildren of the time that "nanna shared a cigar with the president of the United States?" It is very unfortunate that she was used by Bill but, although she was young, and although he was the president, that does not mean that every young, innocent, woman would have given in or been "tricked" into "sexual relations" with a rich and powerful older man. Just not. Also not every woman, no matter what age, would have let themselves be used by that witch Linda Tripp, period.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Exactly. There was a calculated agenda here.
    HWBL likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

And I am glad she kept the dress, otherwise, Bill would have kept calling her a liar, and not admitted to his participation in the inappropriate behavior. Truly a messed up situation. Neither party is morally right, and in these sort of circumstances, the only people I have respect for are the ones who admit their participation equally, and make little to no excuse. Human error/inclination is enough to justify these circumstances.

Thread Information