Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Brexit: David Cameron Resigns Following Brexit Vote

Default Brexit: David Cameron Resigns Following Brexit Vote

David Cameron Resigns Following Brexit Vote

Brendan O'Connor
    Today 7:46am
    Filed to: brexit

4108 Photo: AP

Prime Minister David Cameron, who led the failed campaign to keep the United Kingdom in the European Union, has announced that he will resign by October. His successor will have the responsibility of deciding when to authorize Article 50, initiating Britain’s departure from the EU.

“I will do everything I can as prime minister to steady the ship over the coming weeks and months,” Cameron said at a press conference outside 10 Downing Street, “but I do not think it would be right for me to try to be the captain that steers the country to its next destination.”

“I was absolutely clear about my belief that Britain is stronger, safer and better off inside the EU. I made clear the referendum was about this, and this alone, not the future of any single politician, including myself,” Cameron said. “But the British people made a different decision to take a different path. As such I think the country requires fresh leadership to take it in this direction.”
    Cameron himself called the referendum that unexpectedly led to his resignation, hoping to quiet the Eurosceptics in his own party and other right-wing Conservatives. The Guardian reports:

Yet he had underestimated the backing Vote Leave would receive on his own backbenches; and reckoned without the charismatic and popular former mayor of London, Boris Johnson, becoming its figurehead.

Johnson, whose support among the Tory membership shot up after he declared himself for out, is now widely seen as the most likely successor to the prime minister.
    The former mayor of London insisted on Friday there was “no need for haste”, in negotiating Britain’s exit. Speaking at Vote Leave’s headquarters, Johnson struck a statesmanlike tone, paying tribute to Cameron’s leadership. “This does not mean that the UK will be in any way less united; nor indeed does it mean that it will be any less European,” he said.

In fact, it may very well mean exactly that: Both Scotland and Northern Ireland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU; Scotland will likely hold another independence vote very soon, and Irish nationalists like Sinn Fein have already called for a border poll—on whether Northern Ireland ought to be re-united with the rest of the island.
    English voters have “dragged Northern Ireland out of the EU,” Declan Kearney, Sinn Fein’s national chairman, said in a statement. “English votes have overturned the democratic will of Northern Ireland. This was a cross community vote in favour of remaining in the EU. This British Government has forfeited any mandate to represent the economic or political interests of people in Northern Ireland.”
    Meanwhile, the Associated Press reports, Donald Trump, during his business trip to Scotland, lauded the voters’ decision. The British “took back their country. It’s a great thing,” he said. “People are angry all over the world.”

http://gawker.com/david-cameron-resi...ote-1782548398
    Last edited by stef; June 24th, 2016 at 10:39 AM.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

no idea why this is a wall of text, sorry, the forum kicked me out so i had to use a proxy and now i can't edit the article anymore.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Try logging out and then logging back in.
    stef likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I'm really shocked the vote came out this way. I can't think this going to be good for the UK's economy and its level of influence in the region and world!
    Spouse is British and my son is eligible to be a dual American/Brit citizen. We thought it was cool that he'd be able to live and work anywhere in the EU when he's older. Well, not anymore.
    Ugh...
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I was VERY surprised we voted out. I thought remain would win for sure.. Tough times ahead.
    rollo, aggie and kasippu like this.

I also thought that they wouldl vote remain. When I went to bed it looked that way and when I woke up this morning it turned out that Brexit had won. I'm shocked and I think this will cause much more problems than the pro people think it will. It's not magically going to solve any of the problems and the most disturbing part is that the vote is mostly based on xenophobia. For the love of all things holy, don't elect Boris Johnson.
    HWBL and aggie like this.

It was rather close - 52% voting to get out and 48% to stay in...what are the other repercussions from an economic and social standpoint? I know a lot of those who want out have issues with the EU policies on immigration and refugees.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Gutted (about brexit. Cameron can fuck off)
    Kittylady and ana-mish-ana like this.

So sorry you guys. I can not imagine what a huge change this is going to be.
    rollo likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

The stocks are dropping. Great Britain, up to this point was the EU's second most stable economy behind Germany. People are scared.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

You know what's really fucking me off right now? The number of non-Brits on Facebook who are stating their opinions as fact about what we feel, how we viewed the referendum, what it says about us as a nation and so on. I might have to put myself on a self imposed FB ban for a week or two before I really launch at someone and ask them how they would feel about the entire United States being judged to be orange assholes based on Donald Trump.

You can watch from afar, you can have your own opinion, but take it from a Brit, the general feeling among pretty much everyone I know is shock, worry and anxiety about what the future holds for us. Regardless of what the referendum said, the majority are not happy about this result.
    BITTER, Trixie, Sarzy and 7 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I might have to put myself on a self imposed FB ban for a week or two before I really launch at someone and ask them how they would feel about the entire United States being judged to be orange assholes based on Donald Trump.
    You mean we're not?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I suppose this is payback for the white working class being ignored for 30 years. God only knows where we go from here.

It's a fucking shitstorm. I still can't believe it. Stayed up all night watching the results and couldn't believe it when results declared. Cameron caused this and now he's running away from his fucking mess. It's horrendous. Feels like the end of the world - the knock-on effects are going to be unreal
    sputnik likes this.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Whole Europe is shocked. I wonder how it will affect the EU..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information