Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Canadian Elections thread

Default Canadian Elections thread

Come on Canadia, are you finally getting rid of Stephen Harper and your rogue nation ways of the past decade?

--------------------------------------------

Canadian leaders gone wild in three-way debate battle

Anthony ZurcherNorth America reporter

Image copyrightReutersImage captionIf not Harper, who? The two left-of-centre candidates are fighting for undecided votersCanada election 2015

If there were any doubts that this has become a tight, hard-fought Canadian general election campaign, that went out the window very early during Thursday night's leaders' debate in Calgary.
    It was a spirited, sometimes snippy affair that often seemed to spin out of control, as the back-and-forth between the three candidates - Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper and left-of-centre challengers Justin Trudeau of the Liberal Party and Thomas Mulcair of the New Democratic Party -descended into cacophony.
    The debate's moderator, Toronto Globe and Mail editor-in-chief David Walmsley, pointed out in his introduction that this was only the second time a leaders debate had been held west of Toronto.
    Its location - in the heart of Canada's oil and gas country - gave a particular sense of urgency to what was tabbed as the focus of the discussion, the economy.
    The entire province of Alberta has been hit hard by job losses resulting from the sharp decline in oil prices, and its struggles have become a drag on the entire Canadian economy, which entered into recession earlier this year.
    For his part, Mr Harper was single-minded in his focus on the danger he says his opponents pose to what he termed a "fragile economy".
    Image copyrightAPImage captionStephen Harper speaks to a steel manufacturer in OntarioHe said Mr Trudeau's proposal for three years of deficit spending to fund increased infrastructure investment threatens out-of-control budget gaps. He accused Mr Mulcair, on the other hand, of risking harm to the economy with his plan to raise corporate taxes.
    Mr Mulcair responded with a sharp criticism of Mr Harper's handling of the economy, which he said had become overly reliant on an energy sector that was bound to eventually falter.
    "Mr Harper put all of his eggs in one basket," he said, "and then he dropped the basket."
    Image copyrightAPImage captionThomas Mulcair shakes hands with aerospace workers as he makes a campaign stop in MontrealAs for Mr Trudeau, he employed a refrain made famous by an American president, Ronald Reagan. "Are you better off now than you were 10 years ago?" he asked, a reference to when Mr Harper's record-setting stretch as prime minister first began.
    He added that Mr Harper had overseen the worst Canadian economic growth rate since the Great Depression.
    Mr Harper had a reply at the ready, however, citing his stewardship of the Canadian economy during a time of global turmoil.
    "In the last 10 years, where would you rather have been than Canada?" he asked. "Looking forward, where would you rather be but Canada?"
    Image copyrightAPImage captionJustin Trudeau arrives at a campaign event in OntarioIt was a theme Mr Harper would return to again toward the end of the debate, when he noted: "I have come to work seven years in a row with nothing but economic crises all of the world."
    He offered a bit of a smile as he went through the litany - a banking crisis, a housing crisis, a debate crisis and the current "market chaos in China".
    Although the debate's focus was the economy, jobs and taxes weren't the only terrain the three candidates fought over. Environmental policy also came up, and the immigration issue led to one of the more heated exchanges.
    "These guys would have had, in the last two weeks, us throwing open our borders and literally hundreds of thousands of people coming without any kind of security check or documentation," Mr Harper said when asked about the recent Syrian refugee drama and how much Canada should do to take in the displaced.
    He called such suggestions "an enormous mistake".
    Image copyrightReutersBoth Mr Trudeau and Mr Mulcair responded by accusing the prime minister of fearmongering.
    "Stop using the security excuse as a pretext to do nothing," Mr Mulcair snapped.
    Mr Harper plays to the "fears of others, fears of different communities," Mr Trudeau said. "That's not right, sir."
    According to Stephen Carter, a Calgary based political strategist, the real action in Thursday night's debate, however, was the shots traded between the two left-of-centre candidates.
    In one particularly memorable exchange, Mr Trudeau described Mr Mulcair's universal childcare programme as amounting to ineffective "puffs of smoke".
    Image captionLiberal and Conservative supports outside the debate venue on Thursday"You know a little about that, don't you, Justin," Mr Mulcair quipped in a not-so-subtle reference to the Liberal leader's controversial support for marijuana decriminalisation.
    The reason why the Mulcair-Trudeau confrontations were so critical, Carter says, is because although it's a three-way race, the battle over the nearly third of Canadian voters who are undecided is really only a fight between the two left parties.
    Those on-the-fence voters have long since given up on the incumbent Conservatives.
    Image copyrightReutersImage captionThose opposed to Mr Harper still must decide between his rivals"I thought we saw a debate between Mulcair and Trudeau only," he said.
    "Stephen Harper sat on the side, letting them tear each other apart, without recognising that they weren't just tearing each other apart, they were defining the debate for the final 30 days of the election."
    Mr Trudeau's objective was to dispel the notion that he's a political lightweight - a theme that the Conservatives have been hammering home in a recent advertising campaign. The expectations for him were low, and he likely more than met them with his debate performance.
    The goal for Mr Mulcair was somewhat trickier. The NDP has never held power in Ottawa, and he had to assure voters that he would be a steady hand at the tiller - a task he appeared to accomplish as well.
    Now Mr Mulcair and Mr Trudeau will have to seize on whatever momentum they can coming out of this debate and advance themselves as the best alternative to Mr Harper.
    "After 150 years of being told we have no choice," Mr Mulcair said, "for the first time in our history there is another choice".
    Mr Harper put forward a steady effort on Thursday night that contrasted with Mr Muldair's sardonic barbs and Mr Trudeau's occasionally breathless speaking style.
    It's becoming clear, however, that he's going to have to thread an exceedingly narrow electoral needle to keep the government in his party's hands. If those undecideds end up breaking en masse toward either the Liberals or the NDP, he'll likely be packing his bags after the 19 October election.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What, no Rob Ford reports?

I do miss when Rob Ford was fodder for late night talk show monologues.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Come on Canadia, are you finally getting rid of Stephen Harper and your rogue nation ways of the past decade?
    I bloody well hope so.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Get rid of him and elect the NDP. I mean, I'll settle for the liberals too even though I'm not crazy about trudeau. Trudeau father was quite possibly my favourite Canadian of all time but his bimbo son is lacking.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Oh, I bleed orange, and I'm loving the momentum they seem to have! I really wanted Jack (as my Prime Minister, cough), but I've grown to appreciate Mulcair as well.

Honestly, can you just imagine how it would shake things up? I would be so freaking excited to see an NDP federal government, lol.
    sputnik likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Rob Ford and his brother Doug have been campaigning for Stephen Harper and the Conservatives.

Stephen Harper hammers home message, poses with Fords at Toronto rally - Politics - CBC News

Stephen Harper hammers home message, poses with Fords at Toronto rally

Conservative leader sticks to message, with a little help from a few familiar figures

CBC News Posted: Oct 17, 2015 4:11 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 18, 2015 1:50 PM ET

Play Media

Stephen Harper acknowledges Ford family 0:46

Sunday Scrum: The Ford factor and the Conservative campaign 3:18

11772 shares
    Facebook

Twitter

Reddit

Google

Email

Related Stories

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper capped off a hectic Saturday of campaigning in Ontario and Quebec by giving a fiery speech at a much-discussed rally promoted by Toronto's Ford brothers.
    Both Rob Ford, the former Toronto mayor who admitted to using crack cocaine while in office, and his brother Doug attended the event at the Toronto Congress Centre in the suburb of Etobicoke.

Harper appeared energized by the crowd of about 1,200 people, thanking campaign volunteers, including the Ford family and driving home his usual points on the economy and the threat of a Liberal government.
    "The Liberals stick to a few slogans. They talk very little about the details of their platform," he said, warning of tax raises should Justin Trudeau win on Monday.
    Doug Ford — who riled up the crowd before Harper's speech — took the threat one step further, blasting the Liberal leader and his affiliation with "mentor" Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne.

Play Media

Doug Ford speaks at Stephen Harper rally in Etobicoke2:14

"Make no mistake, God help this country. It would be an absolute disaster if Justin Trudeau and Kathleen Wynne were running this country," Ford said to big cheers.
    The Fords have been campaigning heavily for the Conservatives, sitting in the front row at an event earlier in the week in Etobicoke and heavily publicizing Saturday night's rally.
    Harper mentioned the Fords at the rally's onset and even posed for a photo with them, which was posted to Rob's Twitter account.
    Harper has come under fire this week for associating with the Fords while campaigning on a platform of law and order. He was asked about his party's association with the Fords earlier Saturday, but avoided the question.
    "This campaign, our Conservative campaign, from one end of the country to the other, including in the great area of Etobicoke which I grew up in as a teenager, is about making sure we keep our economy," Harper told the crowd.
    While Harper stuck mostly to his usual script during the Toronto rally, there was a surprise appearance during game-show-like routine with the cash-register sounds: Harper brought out the man who said the lines "Nice hair, though" in the Tory attack ad criticizing Trudeau.
    Stops in Laval, Oakville

Earlier in the day, the campaign made stops in Laval, Que. and Oakville, Ont.
    In Laval, Harper spoke before a boisterous crowd of about 1,000 supporters and stayed tightly on message as he fielded questions from reporters about his political future.
    CBC News's Susan Lunn, characterizing Harper as the "architect of the modern Conservative Party," posed a reflective question.

Play Media

Harper dodges Rob Ford question1:05

"No matter what happens on Monday, what kind of future do you see for the party you created going forward?"
    Harper, pausing for a moment with a smile, answered first in French, then English.
    "I could not be more honoured to be the prime minister of the greatest country in the world, it's always an honour," he told the cheering crowd.

"In the past 10 years I believe our Conservative party has led this country forward during a difficult time, to be more prosperous, more united, more proud, more secure than ever before," he added.
    Harper was also asked about how significant it was that his chief opponent is Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, the son of former prime minister Pierre Trudeau. The reporter prefaced the question by saying Harper's opposition to the elder Trudeau's policies were what helped propel the Conservative leader into politics.
    Without skipping a beat, Harper responded that he "always said that Justin Trudeau deserves to be judged on his own merits."
    "The reality in this election is that the Liberal Party is running on a platform that would spend an additional $150 billion," he said. He contrasted the Grits' plan for deficits with the Conservatives' focus on balanced budgets, low taxes and job creation.
    The attacks on the Liberals continued during a brief stop in Oakville.
    "Friends, it will be just like the Liberal government in Ontario," he warned the crowd, who booed at the reference to Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne's Liberals.
    "We cannot afford to have that at the national government of this country."

With files from Susan Lunn and Haydn Watters

Report Typo
    Send Feedback

Tomorrow will be one of the most interesting election nights that I can remember… aside from Alberta changing from a 44-year old Progressive Conservative government to the New Democratic Party.

Rob Ford and his brother Doug have been campaigning for Stephen Harper and the Conservatives.
    Fly_On_TheWall likes this.

- Kahlil Gibran

I voted! Fingers crossed Harper will be out of a job by the end of the night. Go Trudeau!

Oh man. Come back, Canada. Come back from the dark side.

twitchy2.0, sputnik, Tati and 1 others like this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Something I've found quite disturbing. The front page of all Postmedia owned newspapers the other day was a full-page, fear-mongering advert in Elections Canada yellow:

"If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

disturbing but not surprising. idiots.

also, that john oliver clip is all over my facebook feed today.
    Last edited by sputnik; October 19th, 2015 at 01:23 PM.

Sigh...Justin.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information