Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Straight Same Sex Couple Get Married In NZ

A*O

Default Straight Same Sex Couple Get Married In NZ

I can understand why gay rights activists aren't happy about this and it does undermine what was achieved by legalising gay marriage, but now that Pandora's Box has been opened this is one of the consequences I guess.

Heterosexual best mates Travis McIntosh and Matt McCormick agreed to get married to win a trip to the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

After more than 200 entries, McIntosh, a 23-year-old engineering student at Otago University, and McCormick, a 24-year-old teacher at Musselburgh School in Dunedin, were chosen from three bromance couples to win an all-expenses paid trip to the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England.

The catch was that the buddies had to get married — a same-sex wedding — and they will do that tomorrow in front of 60 family and friends at New Zealand’s home of rugby, Eden Park, in Auckland.

A celebrant will make the union legally binding, the marriage will be streamed live on the radio station.

“We are not here to insult anyone. We are here to do our own thing and travel our own path,” McCormick told the Otago Daily Times.

McIntosh said the wedding was not mocking the institution of marriage.

“It’s just seeing how far two good mates would go to win a trip to the Rugby World Cup.

“We picked up our wedding certificate and the nerves are starting to really hit home.”

McIntosh said they were still to decide if they would a hyphenated surname but thought their marriage would last at least two years.

“Matt and Travis, or Mattress as I have affectionately named them, are great guys. They are excited about next year’s trip to London but are just as pumped about their big day. It’s not going to be your traditional wedding. In fact, this may be the first wedding in history where the newlyweds will try to crack onto the guests,” said Dom Harvey from The Edge Breakfast Show.

Same-sex marriage became legal in New Zealand in August last year, yet gay groups have condemned the marriage.

Otago University Students’ Association Queer Support co-ordinator Neill Ballantyne told the Otago Daily Times that the wedding was an “insult” as marriage equality was a “hard fought” battle for gay people.

“Something like this trivialises what we fought for,” he said.

The competition promoted the marriage of two men as something negative, “as something outrageous that you’d never consider”, Ballantyne said.

LegaliseLove Aotearoa Wellington co-chairman Joseph Habgood told the Otago Daily Times that the competition attacked the legitimacy of same-sex marriages.

“The point of this competition is that men marrying each other is still something they think is worth having a laugh at ...

“Maybe on the day that statistics around mental health for LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex) people are better, when high schools are safe places for LGBTI youth, we can look back on all this and laugh.

“But competitions like this don’t bring that day any closer.”
    SOURCE: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rel...rom=public_rss
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; September 16th, 2014 at 07:35 AM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That sure never entered my mind and probably never entered the LGBTI community. I'll have to think about this.

I saw this coming... The legitimacy of the current system of marriage comes with the entire package ( which contains both pleasant and unpleasant things, mostly unpleasant). Take the rules away, and it's like dominoes: the entire system collapses.
    I was never for marriage to begin with, but if you want a system that works then destroy the old one and start with a new one... We need a cultural overhaul and reinstate morals, otherwise many people will live meaningless lives and this meaningless marriage is a reflection of that and of the nihilism that is rampant in today's world.

How did I do?

I don't really know what to think of this. I guess they have to take the good with the bad since technically everyone can get married now. Unless they start taking applications for marriage with a waiting period before the marriage is allowed to be legalised. Waiting periods should at least stop the pranksters and those suddenly feel like getting married on the spur of the moment (aka Britney).
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

A*O

The anti gay marriage argument is that it does indeed open the legal and moral floodgates. Technically there's nothing to stop a man marrying his dog, or a woman marrying her sister (no procreation risk). No matter who the participants are it's way too easy to get married - fill out a form and turn up on the day - but it's often fiendishly difficult to divorce.

I can see both sides of this argument. It's certainly one of those "unintended consequences".
    Dame Edna Everage

I'm not sure how it's any different from the plethora of who-wants-to-marry-a-________ reality shows just because it's two dudes instead of a dude and whichever attention whore won the contest. I don't see people saying straight marriage is a terrible idea just because not everyone takes it seriously.

I don't think it undermines a damned thing. People get married for all kinds of reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Technically there's nothing to stop a man marrying his dog, or a woman marrying her sister .
    apart from both being illegal
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

A*O

That's my point, it used to be illegal for two men (gay or straight) to marry too. That law was changed so there's no reason it won't be extended to include other currently illegal marriages. Pandora's Box is open...
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I'm not sure how it's any different from the plethora of who-wants-to-marry-a-________ reality shows just because it's two dudes instead of a dude and whichever attention whore won the contest. I don't see people saying straight marriage is a terrible idea just because not everyone takes it seriously.
    Exactly what I was thinking, no one questions a hetero couple's intentions and there could be many reasons that have nothing to do with love--companionship, inheritance, tax benefits, health benefits, winning a bet or even a contest, no one cares. And isn't there a new reality show "Married at First Sight" where couples have their first meeting at the altar?

I understand some might feel this is making a mockery of gay marriage (and of course, it is) but hasn't marriage in general been made a mockery of for like...forever?
    stella blue, gas_chick and Tati like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

That's my point, it used to be illegal for two men (gay or straight) to marry too. That law was changed so there's no reason it won't be extended to include other currently illegal marriages. Pandora's Box is open...
    I don't buy the slippery slope argument. Dogs can't consent.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    That's what I was thinking, too. You could picture a lot of different scenarios, but none of them would involve the marriage of someone (child) or something (animal) that cannot give consent.
    Honey likes this.

A*O

Agree. But it does open the door for all kinds of wacky combos which from a strictly legal POV could possibly be argued as valid that wouldn't have stood a chance before.
    Dame Edna Everage

Agree. But it does open the door for all kinds of wacky combos which from a strictly legal POV could possibly be argued as valid that wouldn't have stood a chance before.
    Well, so what? If two people can form a partnership because they fuck, why shouldn't they be able to for other reasons?

Like Chuck and Larry?

I can see both sides of this argument. It's certainly one of those "unintended consequences".
    unintended consequence for whom? who is getting hurt by this? the "institution of marriage"? what does that even mean, anyway?

I don't think it undermines a damned thing. People get married for all kinds of reasons.
    exactly.
    as long as they're consenting adults, i don't give a crap who gets married and for what reasons.

and? what would happen exactly if this pandora's box were to explode?

exactly. people always bring up the argument that if gays can get married, people are going to be marrying children and goats except they forget that goats and children aren't legal entities who can consent.

as long as they're wacky but consensual, what's the harm?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information