Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By MontanaMama
  • 5 Post By Grimmlok

Thread: White House Sending Weapons to Syria, Considering No-Fly Zone

Default White House Sending Weapons to Syria, Considering No-Fly Zone

White House Sending Weapons to Syria, Considering No-Fly Zone

Syrian rebels will soon be fighting with American weapons, now that President Obama has authorized arming rebel militias with light weaponry in the wake of U.S. findings that President Bashar al-Assad's forces crossed the "red line" of chemical weapon use.

Obama is said to be also considering imposing a no-fly zone above some portion of the country, possibly near Jordan—an action that would require the destruction of Syrian air defense and therefore represent the first direct U.S. military action in the civil war (that we know of! Who knows what the CIA's been up to). Some 4,000 troops and war planes are currently in Jordan.

The Obama White House has been deliberating intervention since the Syrian civil war began two years ago. Last year, Obama said that the U.S. would not intervene unless Assad crossed a "red line" by using chemical weapons; since then, evidence has been found that both sides in the conflict have used chemical weapons and committed war crimes, though in all cases Assad has always been more extreme, and more brutal.

Yesterday—after a week of suggestion that the U.S. was considering some kind of intervention, and pressure from Sen. John McCain and former president Bill Clintonthe White House announced that it had determined that Assad had used the "nerve gas" sarin.

If the U.S. does impose a no-fly zone, it may be too little, too late. Nearly 100,000 people have died in the civil war already; across Syria, towns and cities have been hollowed out or flattened. The regime, bolstered by fighters from the Lebanese militia Hezbollah—which, like its patron Iran and the Syrian government, is made up mostly of Shia Muslims—has likely gained the upper hand as the conflict takes on an increasingly sectarian tone. Russia's support for the Assad government has increased, and the rebels are at this point largely made up of private militias—exactly the kind of groups who are most likely to destabilize the country in the future. (Not to mention come back and haunt the U.S.) Assad still retains the support of something near half the Syrian population; government targets like tanks and artillery are in civilian areas; and there are said to be stockpiles of chemical weapons lying around—not that we know where.

But hey. Why not send some guns over? What's the worst that can happen?
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A solid plan, it's always worked so well in the past when we've armed one side. Never ever comes back to bite us in the ass.
    McJag, sluce and sputnik like this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

guyz if you could just pay attention to this and not that whole NSA spying thing, that's be greaaaaat
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

This has the potential to make a bad situation much worse. If the US/UK start to supply the rebels then it seems certain that Russia and Iran will step up their support for the Syrian government. I'm not convinced about the evidence of use of chemical weapons either especially since we were lied to about the existence of WMD's in Iraq.

Thread Information