Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abortion numbers in Britain reach new record

Default Abortion numbers in Britain reach new record

By Sarah Womack, Social Affairs Correspondent

Abortions have reached record levels, and nearly a third of women who have an abortion have had one or more before.

Department of Health statistics reveal that abortions in England and Wales rose by more than 700 in 2005, from 185,713 in 2004 to 186,416.

More than 1,000 girls under 15 had an abortion, an increase of 4.7 per cent in a year.

Some 31 per cent of women had one or more previous abortions, a figure that rises to 43 per cent among black British women.

The figures come amid calls from a cross-party group of MPs for a rethink on the abortion time limit.

Patrick Leahy, spokesman for Student LifeNet, the pro-life group, said: "This record high number of abortions is undoubtedly due to a dramatic increase in the number of early abortions.

"For 2005, abortions under 10 weeks accounted for 66.5 per cent of the total number compared to 60.2 per cent in 2004. This is surely due to dubious Government policies aimed at making access to early abortion even easier.

"At the same time, the percentage of late abortions is rapidly declining. The number of abortions occurring over 20 weeks dropped by almost 10 per cent on last year. This reduction reflects the public's increased concern about the abortion time limit.

"The Government's refusal to allow parliamentary time on this issue is leaving them increasingly isolated and out-of-touch."

Figures show that nearly 2,000 abortions were conducted under "ground E", which means the risk that the child would be born physically or mentally handicapped.

In 22 per cent of cases, the unborn child was diagnosed with Down syndrome. In the three years 2003-2005 there were 11 cases of abortion as a result of congenital malformations - cleft lip and/or cleft palate.

Nearly 8,000 abortions for residents of other countries - principally Northern Ireland (15 per cent) and Ireland (70 per cent) - were carried out in hospitals and clinics in England and Wales.

Between 2003 and 2005, 33 girls under 13 had abortions, and 409 girls aged 14 had abortions.

Anne Weyman, chief executive of the Family Planning Association, said: "These latest abortion figures highlight the urgent need to improve NHS contraceptive services, which have for decades been treated as the Cinderella service of sexual health.

"When a woman does not get the contraceptive method that is right for her, she is more likely to have an unplanned pregnancy."

She said the current NHS deficit affected family planning clinics, with services being reduced or cut in some areas to plug the debts of local primary care trusts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nhealth05.xml
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Abortion numbers in Britain reach new record

good. The English do not need to be reproducing. Whole sociocultural revolutions have been spawned to get over their influence.

I guess it must be the new IN thing to be a dirty slut from England.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dakodas
    good. The English do not need to be reproducing. Whole sociocultural revolutions have been spawned to get over their influence.
    Ha ha!! As someone who's ancestors kicked the collective British ass when they tried to invade during the Battle of New Orleans I have to say I totally agree!

meh. i'd rather a woman have an abortion than have a child she doesn't want and probably won't care for properly.
    that said, abortion should be a last resort and women should be smarter about contraception but if they're not, idiots shouldn't be reproducing anyway so the world is still better off with them not having children.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

SVZ

that said, abortion should be a last resort and women should be smarter about contraception but if they're not, idiots shouldn't be reproducing anyway so the world is still better off with them not having children.
    Prevention first!

Prevention is a sin. All must reproduce and consume every available resource.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by dakodas

Would they rather have a high school drop out young mothers, more populated areas or women protesting their rights?
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPool
    I guess it must be the new IN thing to be a dirty slut from England.
    It's nothing new, believe me
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Wow, what an insulting thread

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

We have English posters on this board. Plz be a little more considerate when commenting.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

It's ok moomies, I'll be very careful not to reproduce, it is very dificult for us brits. But hopefully we'll all shrivel up and die out as a country.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Don't worry N. Korea will prolly nuke Japan b4 England will shrivel up and die from sterility. We'll die horribly burnt looking like zombies b4 you guys.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

The anti-English comments were totally in jest folks! Honest! I like the mother country! That is what England is to us..besides Canada it is probably the country we can most identify with..(Australia/New Zealand also). Please do not take my little snide laughter at what Dakodas(in jest I am sure) said as anything more than just joking around. We attack Americans and Canadians..and others.. as well..in jest also.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information