Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tiny Pixie
  • 2 Post By Sojiita
  • 1 Post By ConstanceSpry

Thread: Swaziland Issues a Collective Ban on Penis Tempting Mini-Skirts and Midriffs

Default Swaziland Issues a Collective Ban on Penis Tempting Mini-Skirts and Midriffs

As part of its ongoing effort to prevent rape and possibly reduce the country's distressingly high rate of HIV/AIDS infection, police in Swaziland have announced that they will aggressively investigate sex crimes and make sure that would-be rapists know that they will be severely punished for their transgressions. Just kidding! The police will simply prevent women from wearing mini-skirts and exposing midriffs, because, you know, tight, skimpy clothes, according to police spokeswoman Wendy Hleta, make rape "easy" because "it would be easy to remove the half-cloth worn by the women."

According to the BBC, Hleta announced that, if they receive a complaint, police would enforce an 1889 law (that would be a law from the century before the last) that bans "immoral" dressing. Though the law makes exception for traditional costumes worn during the country's annual reed dance (when the king may choose a new wife, just so we all know where the priorities are), the issue of revealing clothing came to the forefront last month when police apparently blocked women dressed in miniskirts from demonstrating against rape in the city of Manzini. Moreover, in 2000, the "mini-skirt issue" became a rape-prevention priority when the government introduced a law requiring school girls aged 10 and older to wear knee-length skirts, the better, according to the country's morality sentries, to nip promiscuity in the bud and help stem the spread of HIV (the country of 1.2 million has one of the highest rates of infection in the world).
    In her statement, Hleta seemed to put the onus of rape prevention squarely on the shoulders of women who wear "skimpy clothes," which have, in her estimation, the unfortunate side effect of drawing unwanted attention to the wearer. Of course, Hleta clarified that the police "do not encourage that women should be harmed," it's just that tight clothes and short skirts apparently make raping so much easier:

I have read from the social networks that men and even other women have a tendency of 'undressing people with their eyes'. That becomes easier when the clothes are hugging or are more revealing
    Swaziland is a very conservative, patriarchal country, proof of which is found in the fact that it boasts Sub-Saharan Africa's only remaining absolute monarch, King Mswati III, who reportedly enjoys a "flamboyant" lifestyle as well as dressing his 13 wives in all the latest form-fitting fashions. Enforcement of the Crimes Act of 1889 will mean that, if a woman is snitched on for wearing a miniskirt, she could face punishment on the scale of unreasonable to grossly unreasonable: from a $10 fine to a jail sentence of up to six months to a year.

Swaziland: Police in mini-skirt arrest threat [BBC]

Swaziland Issues a Collective Ban on Penis Tempting Mini-Skirts and Midriffs

Don't even get me started...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Why is it that the penises are never to blame?

I'read that it has the highest percentage of HIV AIDS in the world.

Actually, the main reason I know this is cause of a translation I was correcting where some moron had translated ZW as Switzerland on top of a list of the countries with the highest incidence of HIV-AIDS. It was an amazing list, a bunch Sub-Saharan African countries and freaking Switzerland on top!
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post

I'read that it has the highest percentage of HIV AIDS in the world.

Actually, the main reason I know this is cause of a translation I was correcting where some moron had translated ZW as Switzerland on top of a list of the countries with the highest incidence of HIV-AIDS. It was an amazing list, a bunch Sub-Saharan African countries and freaking Switzerland on top!
    This is true, 1 in 4 adults has HIV there. Some members of my family did some work with the communities there to help with the crisis and also to try to teach the citizens how to better use their land. I have heard that the corruption and superstition and general misinformation get in the way of positive changes happening there.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I don't know, but considering that even in more "enlightened" country the bulk of so-called rape prevention is focusing on how women can avoid being raped rather than why men shouldn't raped, it's hardly an unique attitude.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I think they should fine every woman who walks in the street with a vagina. Having a vagina really makes rape too easy, like they were asking for it, walking past men with a vagina between their legs !

(ps : heavy irony here of course !!)
    Sojiita likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

As long as the focus is on the victim/what the victim is 'doing wrong' and not on what the actual perpetrator/what the perpetrator is REALLY doing wrong, then there will be no real change.

Women could be walking around in burqas and in chastity belts, and they would still get raped. Rapists are gonna rape no matter what-so deal with them.
    Tiny Pixie and stef like this.

Exactly, it always infuriates me, and I don't know why I still bother reading this kind of article, for it always reaches the same "conclusions" ... "oh my god, maybe the girl was dressed sluttishly / a tease / asking for it / walking without a bodyguard ..."
    I can't even believe that so called journalists and police officers and people in general dare wonder what a VICTIM has done wrong ... but only in the case of rape.
    We don't try to figure out if people who were shot had done something to deserve being shot for example, why do we always have to wonder what a WOMAN did wrong to deserve being raped? It really pisses me off.

I think there's something really rotten about our world, when we look at the way women are treated in a vast majority of countries, what does it say about humanity? What does it say of those men, who don't respect the gender that gives them life?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

IMO a lot of this is due to society's attitude toward women. Media, movies, etc. all push the idea that women have no value unless they are sexually attractive to men. Plus, labeling women who dress provocatively as "sluts" who don't deserve respect. Then add the myth that a man's libido is uncontrollable and they are not responsible for their actions when aroused, and there you go.
    birdie likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Hit By Ban Bus!

I got excited reading the first lines, I should have known better. So typical.

Bronze Member

I had a chance to work in Swaziland but I accepted another job right before they gave me the offer (to work on a contract in Swaziland). In hindsight that was probably a good thing.

Thread Information