Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Korea Testing Missiles, Fires Over 4 Rockets

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default North Korea Testing Missiles, Fires Over 4 Rockets

Japan to make 'fierce' protest to the UN if NKorea launches missile

Japan will immediately file a "fierce" protest with the U.N. Security Council if North Korea test-fires a long-range missile, Foreign Minister Taro Aso said Sunday, as several news reports said a launch may be imminent.
    North Korea ordered its people to raise the country's flag and tune in for a message on state-run television Sunday amid indications that the communist nation may have fueled a long-range missile in preparations for a launch, news reports said.
    "We will naturally file a stern protest and it will be fierce," Japanese Foreign Ministry Taro Aso said on a news program on TV Asahi.
    He said that Tokyo could impose sanctions on the North in the event a missile was fired, saying that Japan has passed necessary bills to do so.
    He made a similar remark on another news show on Fuji TV, saying "We've put together measures that would allow us to legally respond, and what comes next is implementing them," without elaborating.
    Aso said during the news program on TV Asahi that Japan would not immediately resort to arms if North Korea fires a missile. The minister said Tokyo will immediately seek a meeting of the United Nations Security Council following a launch, Kyodo News agency reported.
    Aso also reportedly said that it would be "inevitable" for the Security Council to consider imposing sanctions on Pyongyang if it goes ahead with the missile launch.

On Saturday, Aso met U.S. Ambassador to Japan Thomas Schieffer and both issued statements telling North Korea that a launch would be widely criticized and would not be in the impoverished nation's interests.
    North Koreans had been told to raise the national flag at 2 p.m. (0500 GMT) and watch a state message on television in the late afternoon Sunday, unnamed Japanese government officials have been cited as saying.
    The move is possibly linked with the North's missile activities.
    At 2 p.m. the North's state television monitored in Seoul was showing an old movie.
    South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the North Korean government's order to raise the flag may just be part of preparations for a national event Monday marking the 42nd anniversary of its leader Kim Jong Il taking a role in the communist party.
    An unnamed South Korean government official said it was common for the North Korean government to issue a statement to its people ahead of major domestic events, adding it made a similar order on June 18 last year, according to Yonhap.
    Yonhap, citing diplomatic sources in Washington, also reported there was a possibility the missile may have already been fueled, with satellite photos showing tens of fuel tanks at the launch site.
    "But, we cannot say this for sure," one unidentified source was quoted as saying by Yonhap, regarding the fueling of the missile.
    The communist nation has been under a self-imposed moratorium on long-range missile tests since 1999. However, it has since test-fired short-range missiles many times, including two in March.
    The missile concerns come amid an extended impasse at international talks on the North's nuclear weapons program, which haven't met since November. The North has claimed it has a nuclear weapon, but it isn't believed to have a design that would be small and light enough to place on top of a missile.
    Pyongyang stunned Tokyo and other nations when it test-fired a ballistic missile over northern Japan in 1998. It claimed then it was seeking to place a satellite in orbit. (AP)

source:
    http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na029000c.html

South Korean protesters shout slogans in Seoul during a rally against a possible North Korea's missile test Sunday. North Korea ordered its people to raise the country's flag and tune in for a message on state-run television Sunday amid indications that the communist nation may have fueled a long-range missile in preparations for a launch, news reports said. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Exclamation World War 3 might start soon: North Korea launches 2 missiles

North Korea launched 2 short-range missiles into the sea of Japan according to NBC news.
    but then again this could all be propaganda created by our own admin...am i too paranoid?

North Korea tests short-range missile
    Western concerns focused on preparation of long-range rocket
    From Elise Labott and Justine Redman
    CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- North Korea tested a short-range missile early Wednesday but has not fired the long-range Taepodong-2 rocket Western observers suspect has been readied for launch, U.S. sources told CNN.

Two senior U.S. State Department officials said Tuesday that fuel trucks had departed the site where the long-range missile sits on a launching pad, indicating that a test might be near.

The removal of the fuel trucks and other auxiliary equipmentmeant the North Koreans may have finished fueling the missile, said the officials, who did not want to be named because of the sensitivity of the information.

Should the North Koreans have completed the fueling "all they would need to do now is press the button," one of the sources said.

But both officials said no hard evidence points to a launch coming soon.

"It's the Fourth of July, and they know we are watching and they like to play with us," said one official, who has followed the North Korean program for years. (Watch why North Korea is talking about annihilating the U.S. -- 2:04)

The United States, Japan and other countries are concerned about North Korea's reported preparations for a long-range missile test. The North Koreans fired a Taepodong-1 missile over Japan in 1998 but declared a moratorium on future tests in 1999.

President Bush has warned North Korea that it will face further isolation if it violates agreements by test launching a missile believed capable of reaching the continental United States. (Full story)

"The North Koreans have made agreements with us in the past, and we expect them to keep their agreements," Bush said last month at the end of a European Union summit.

"It should make people nervous when nontransparent regimes, that have announced that they've got nuclear warheads, fire missiles," Bush said. "This is not the way you conduct business in the world. This is not the way that peaceful nations conduct their affairs."

On Monday, Pyongyang's state-run media carried a report accusing the United States of harassing North Korea and vowing to respond to any pre-emptive attack "with a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war with a mighty nuclear deterrent."

The White House has dismissed that threat as "hypothetical." (Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/....ap/index.html)

Meanwhile, the Pentagon is taking steps to be ready for a possible military response to a North Korean missile launch.

The U.S. Northern Command recently increased security measures at its Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station in Colorado Springs, Colorado, a military official confirmed.

Some command and control operations there might be used if the United States launched an interceptor missile in an attempt to shoot down the North Korean missile.

In other planning measures instituted in the past several days, Northern Command, along with the Federal Aviation Administration, has put standby commercial flight restrictions into place over Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and Fort Greely, Alaska, where the U.S. interceptor missiles are based.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc...ile/index.html
    As insane as I believe the Bush Admin. is; i believe the Dictator Kim Jong Il to be waaaaaaaaaay worse and far more delusional. HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE!

*update: according to NBC news they did try to test a long-range missle, but it failed and went into the sea so we'll see how Bush over-reacts on this one, North Korea might not be on the map tomorrow....
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; July 4th, 2006 at 04:02 PM.

Default Re: World War 3 might start soon: North Korea launches 2 missiles

Make that FOUR???

North Korea test-launched at least two mid-range missiles Wednesday that landed in the Sea of Japan, Japanese media reported, and a State Department official said the North appeared ready to launch the long- range Taepodong-2.

Japan's Kyodo news agency said they were believed to be mid-range Rodong missiles and landed about 300 miles off the western coast of Japan's Hokkaido Island.

A Pentagon official, who spoke only on condition of anonymity, identified two of the missiles as Scuds.

"The launch appears not to be the launch that has been in the news. This appears to be a launch of a lesser variety of scud missiles," the official said.

However, the State Department official said North Korea appeared ready to launch the long-range Taepodong-2 missile. The official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, did not confirm that the Taepodong-2 had been launched. Experts believe a Taepodong 2 could reach the United States with a light payload.

The reclusive communist state launched the first missile at 3:32 a.m., or 2:32 p.m. Tuesday EDT, and it crashed into the Sea of Japan several minutes later, public broadcaster NHK reported. NHK said two missiles were confirmed launched, but Kyodo quoted a government official as saying four missiles may have been fired.

Han Song Ryol, deputy chief of North Korea's mission to the U.N. in New York, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview: "We diplomats do not know what the military is doing."

So far, no members of the U.N. Security Council, which includes Japan and the United States, has asked for a meeting on North Korea's actions.

"We are urgently consulting with members of the Security Council," U.S. Ambassador John Bolton said in a statement.

North Korea's missile program is based on Scud technology provided by the former Soviet Union or Egypt, according to American and South Korean officials. North Korea started its Rodong-1 missile project in the late 1980s and test-fired the missile for the first time in 1993.

If the timing is correct, the North Korean missiles were launched within minutes of Tuesday's liftoff of Discovery, which blasted into orbit from Cape Canaveral in the first U.S. space shuttle launch in a year.

North Korea had observed a moratorium on long-range missile launches since 1999. It shocked the world in 1998 by firing a Taepodong missile over Japan and into the Pacific Ocean.

The reported launches came after weeks of speculation that the North was preparing to test its advanced Taepodong 2 missile from a site on its northeast coast.

The preparations had generated stern warnings from the United States and Japan, which had threatened possible economic sanctions in response.

Temperatures further heightened Monday when the North's main news agency quoted an unidentified newspaper analyst as saying Pyongyang was prepared to answer a U.S. military attack with "a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war."

The Bush administration responded by saying while it had no intention of attacking, it was determined to protect the United States if North Korea launched a long-range missile.

In Tokyo, a group of ruling party members called Tuesday for immediate economic sanctions against North Korea if the communist nation conducted the test-launch.

___ AP reporters Larry Margasak in Washington and Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations contributed to this report
    http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/04/D8ILDM800.html
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Default Re: North Korea testing missles

Lil' Kim?

Did you catch the Shuttle launch on TV? Damn! That was something, wasn't it?

I just wanted to say thanks for launching the bottle rockets in honor of my country's birthday. I truly appreciate the gesture.

(Meanwhile . . . back at the bunker . . .)

"What the fru@k? . . ."

Failed" my ass. AEGIS FREAKIN' ROCKS!

". . . and the [SM2's] red glare // the [dongs]bursting in air // gave proof through the night // that our [battle group] was still there. . . ."

(Oops. Engaging in a bit of whistful thinking, again. I'm so sorry.)

Yes, there are times when even I (It's a Marine thing) can admit that I admire and appreciate the capabilities of the USN.

So, the NoKos can launch missiles and hit the ocean. I guess in some circles that would qualify as an achievement. Fortunately, I do not move in those circles.

Three things you need to know, Lil' Kimchee: (1) SSBN (2) Ohio-Class (3) Trident.

North Korea: abbreviated or obliterated it’s No Korea.

Something about which to think.

Now, I say it is time for a cold beer, a bowl of chips, and some Radio Japan SW quality time before the fireworks begin.

Vi

God Bless the troops!

Semper Fi

The Beirut Marines
    Don't be ridiculous, Stephen: wearing a helmet does not make it "safe," and the answer is still "no."

I really had a hard time to beleive this, what with all the scare tactics the Bush admin has pulled on the citizens. But I do beleive that the communist government and Kim Jong il are crazy and hellbent. THere are a much bigger threat than Iraq and Iran IMO.

Too bad that our militray is spread so thin and for nothing. I fucking hate war!

SVZ

*update: according to NBC news they did try to test a long-range missle, but it failed and went into the sea so we'll see how Bush over-reacts on this one, North Korea might not be on the map tomorrow....
    for some reason i feel this is a lie...

not to mention the anchorwoman on CNN kept getting north and south korea confused...

I don't think this is propaganda at all cuz N.K had already tested missles in the past even b4 this one. It's pretty well known in Japan (because we have a lot to worry about over this situation, obviously) but rarely makes the news over here in N. America.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by lovely bones
    Make that SIX missiles launched.

Default Re: North Korea testing missles

^I always enjoy and appreciate your posts! I loved the photo of that air - wing: i'm an ex airdale, vaq arena. the rag squadron had several marines attached to it so Semper Fi Vi!

Default Re: North Korea Testing Missiles, Fires Over 4 Rockets

Yes, nuclear obliteration is exactly what the poor oppressed people of North Korea need.

No, they need someone to send a a few poison darts into the communist party leadership and deliver some food before a famine hits again
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Okay, I trust all you intelligent people...do you think it's premature to even be 'scared'? If No. Korea truly tried to do something, they know they'd be blown to smithereens don't you think? Is this really worth worrying about? Also, I read this below...is this true?:

The US became the first major power to unilaterally withdraw from a nuclear arms control treaty when they withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty on Dec. 13, 2001. Citing "terror threats," the Bush administration will pursue an enormously costly missile defense program, even though its scientific feasibility remains dubious.

In 2001, the US rejected the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention and Draft Proposal and refused to return to negotiations, effectively derailing the treaty.

In 2002, the US made the unprecedented move to "unsign" the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC) Since then, the US has systematically undermined the ICC by signing bilateral agreements with states to exempt US military and government personnel from the court's jurisdiction.

In 1999, the US Senate voted to reject ratification of the test ban treaty. Taking another step away from the agreement, the White House released the Nuclear Posture Review (NPR) in early 2002 hinting at a return to testing and reserving the right to use nuclear weapons in a first-strike attack. The NPR also states that arms reductions can be reversed.

Plus Bush invades Iraq based on lies that he knew were lies, he tortures and renditioning peoples and he shreds the Geneva convention and the U.S. Constitution. In my humble opinion, the person who will start WW III is George W. Bush, not the other idiot from North Korea. And he'll start WW III without even asking Congress for their opinion.

Let's not forget about 'Divine Strake' coming up most likely in September:

http://coldwarsurvivors.tribe.net/thread/a0502846-84ea-4fbf-94c2-a7883004446c

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Strake

http://www.westpointgradsagainstthewar.org/laws_and_treatıes_violated_by_pr.htm

As I mentioned in another thread, this has long been a huge issue among the surrounding countries of N. Korea like South Korea, Japan, China and Russia but the US is quite far away from it geographically and I guess political affliation-wise that it never became an issue over here (or rather the media here hadn't made a big deal about it until now) while there have been numerous negotiations and meetings these countries have held along with US admninistration.

I am a Japanese citizen and this concerns me a great deal and I don't think that many ppl in the West are aware that a lot of Japanese citizens have been abducted by N. Koreans so that they can train them to be spies etc. Ppl from my home prefecture (Niigata) esp were targetted for such abductions. One Japanese girl was studying in Scandinavia (I think Denmark if I remember correctly) and she was taken from there to N.Korea. Some S. Koreans have also been abducted as well. And I'm sure there have been others from China and even Russia.

The North Korean abductions of Japanese refers to the abduction of many Japanese citizens from Japan by agents of the North Korean government during a period of six years from 1977 to 1983.

Although only sixteen (8 men and 8 women) are officially recognized by the Japanese government, there may have been as many as 70 to 80 Japanese abducted[1]. The North Korean government has officially admitted kidnapping thirteen citizens[2].
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_K...ns_of_Japanese

Elite Member

They just said on the news that North Korea just fired ANOTHER missle this morning....the 7th one! These idiots are really pushing it, aren't they? They say the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill is rushing to North Asia for talks TODAY..as in now, immediately, PRONTO!! The United Nations is holding an emergency meeting in a few hours. Here's the news on it:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/07/05/korea.missile/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5149512.stm

What in THE hell are they doing???? Just trying to stir shit up those jackasses.

I don't agree with some of the things Bush has done but I am very grateful and appreciate the US' concern, assistance and involvement in this.
    My family lives in Japan and I fear for their safety very much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information