Thread: Canada to revise definition of "terrorist"

Question Canada to revise definition of "terrorist"

OTTAWA—The Conservative government says it is not seeking any stronger investigative or enforcement powers under the Anti-Terrorism Act.

Yet Justice Minister Vic Toews said yesterday the federal government would consider loosening the definition of "terrorist" under the law to drop any reference to "political, religious or ideological" motives in connection with suspected terrorist activity.

Toews said it is hard for prosecutors to prove an act was committed "for political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause," as criminal law now demands for "terrorism" offences.

"The motive element, in fact, narrows the scope of activities that can fall under the definition of terrorist activities, and in that way, distinguishes terrorist activity from ordinary criminal acts," said Toews. "But does it work at cross purposes with other goals we might have?"

Toews said he would be open to changes if they came from the Senate committee studying the 2001 Anti-Terrorism Act.

But if Ottawa were to drop the reference to motivation, it could make it much easier for charges to be laid and prosecuted, he admitted.

Toews and Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day, the two lead ministers responsible for Canada's anti-terrorism laws, appeared before the committee and defended some of Ottawa's harshest measures as necessary, reasonable and justified.

They denied any federal agency racially profiles terror suspects. Fears that civil liberties would be sacrificed have proven unfounded since the law took effect, they said.

The Conservative government also wants to end the parliamentary oversight provision — a five-year "sunset" clause — on the most controversial powers to conduct preventive arrests and investigative judicial hearings.

The Conservatives want to extend those measures permanently, or at the least for another five years, Toews said.

In a concession to critics, the former government amended the law to allow those powers to die automatically in 2007 unless temporarily renewed or extended indefinitely by a vote in the Commons and the Senate.

And on the eve of today's critical Supreme Court of Canada review of several high-profile national security cases, Toews and Day also stated unequivocal support for security certificates.

The certificates technically come under immigration law, allow indefinite detention without charge and are used to detain and deport foreign-born nationals suspected of being a national security risk.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968350116467
    This smells fishy. I'm all for security and whatnot, but I can't help but look at these kinds of things with frank suspicion.

Contrary to what the government says, redefining this concept DOES change the legal impact and the strength of the state's case against those purportedly engaging in terrorist activities. It strengthens the state's position quite a bit.

They wouldn't change it if it didn't immediately broaden the impact, to think otherwise is just stupid. This makes me edgy in a bad way. I get whiffs of Dubya off of this, and pretty much off of anything this neocon government does.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Canada to revise definition of "terrorist"

they are going to define terrorist by a simple picture that captures the word completely:

Thread Information