Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: And the World’s Most Educated Country Is…

Default And the World’s Most Educated Country Is…

With spiking tuition costs, insurmountable loan balances, and the unemployment rate for recent college graduates hovering around 53%, it’s clear that a college education hasn’t gotten the best rap lately. Despite the ongoing financial woes across the globe, though, many think that college is still worth the investment. A new study shows that we’ve continued to flock to institutions of higher learning, enrolling at record rates over the past few years. Not surprisingly, the percentage of adults with degrees soared highest in developed nations, reaching 30% in 2010. But which of these nations can boast the status of most educated?

Based on a study conducted by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), 24/7 Wall St. compiled a list of the 10 countries with the highest proportion of college-educated adult residents. but topping the charts is Canada — the only nation in the world where more than half its residents can proudly hang college degrees up on their walls. In 2010, 51% of the population had completed a tertiary education, which takes into account both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Canada commanded the top spot in the last study in 2000, but even still has shown serious improvement. A decade ago, only 40% of the nation’s population had a college degree.
    Snagging the number two most-educated spot was Israel, which trailed Canada by 5%. Japan, the U.S., New Zealand and South Korea all ranked with more than 40% of citizens having a higher-education degree. The top

10 most-educated countries are:

1. Canada
    2. Israel
    3. Japan
    4. United States
    5. New Zealand
    6. South Korea
    7. United Kingdom
    8. Finland
    9. Australia
    10. Ireland

Read the original article here at 24/7 Wall St., for a detailed breakdown of each nation and its education status.

Read more: And the World’s Most Educated Country Is… | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Are the schools good in Canada and Israel? I teach in a Japanese university and I can tell you it is no way near the quality of education American universities give. Getting in is the hard part, graduating is quite easy. I think I prefer quality to quantity.
    thordis likes this.

A*O

So basically they are saying that a college education = a good education? Bollox. Some of the dumbest, clueless most ignorant people I've met are graduates who may have a degree in anything from media studies to astro physics but who've never heard of Charles Dickens or know about the Russian Revolution or even know where Russia is.

Some the smartest "all rounders" I've ever met were Irish for some reason. Some of the dumbest? Americans. Sorry.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

So basically they are saying that a college education = a good education? Bollox. Some of the dumbest, clueless most ignorant people I've met are graduates who may have a degree in anything from media studies to astro physics but who've never heard of Charles Dickens or know about the Russian Revolution or even know where Russia is.

Some the smartest "all rounders" I've ever met were Irish for some reason. Some of the dumbest? Americans. Sorry.
    That is quite correct, A*O. I'm in a double-risk category - three and a half degrees - all from American universities. Making me more retrograde and atavistic than Ramapithecus. I actually grunt all my replies here to a nice Irish assistant who attempts to turn them into something intelligible. God bless him. [I didn't dictate that last sentence - he's just patting himself on the back.]

A*O

Ha! I knew that would ruffle some feathers. I said "some" not "all". Calm down.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Ha! I knew that would ruffle some feathers. I said "some" not "all". Calm down.
    I'm devastated. I cried into my drool cup until an orderly took it away.

A*O

What degree does the orderly have and from which college? Could be significant.
    Dame Edna Everage

He was released from a reform school in Adelaide, which I'm reading is just as good as an MS from Rutgers!
    thordis likes this.

^ I believe Ireland has a very good education system. Someone was telling me about it a few days ago, I'm surprised it isn't listed ahead of most of these countries. I kind of agree with A*O, I've met many very intelligent Americans but it seems like your education system is a bit of a mixed bag and doesn't teach about much outside of America. A huge range of public and private schools, some great universities and so many to choose from. But don't many states not even teach evolution?? A place where religion is getting in the way of basic education like that shouldn't be #4 imo. I would definitely put New Zealand and Australia above the US in terms of education.

It seems most countries don't teach much in the way of world history - you'll cover your own country's history over and over again, but most kids don't know about major events from overseas like the Cold War, hell most probably couldn't tell you who was in WWII ("uh... the world??"). That is sad and scary.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Quote Originally Posted by SuriCruise View Post
    ^ I believe Ireland has a very good education system. Someone was telling me about it a few days ago, I'm surprised it isn't listed ahead of most of these countries. I kind of agree with A*O, I've met many very intelligent Americans but it seems like your education system is a bit of a mixed bag and doesn't teach about much outside of America. A huge range of public and private schools, some great universities and so many to choose from. But don't many states not even teach evolution?? A place where religion is getting in the way of basic education like that shouldn't be #4 imo. I would definitely put New Zealand and Australia above the US in terms of education.

It seems most countries don't teach much in the way of world history - you'll cover your own country's history over and over again, but most kids don't know about major events from overseas like the Cold War, hell most probably couldn't tell you who was in WWII ("uh... the world??"). That is sad and scary.
    The Xaverians (they're like the Jesuits, only more badassy) taught me everything I know about evolution - and atheism.
    thordis likes this.

The article is just pointing out the countries with the highest number of college grads. It's not saying one education system is better than the other.

It's never occurred to me to tally up my encounters with stupid people by nationality. From what I can tell from my shoddy American reading comprehension, the article is talking about which countries have the most people with college degrees, not which countries have the most smart people. Why would anyone equate the two? Idiocy is rampant everywhere, and education is only as good as your intellect.

As for the educational system in America, no, it's not perfect. However, I learned a lot about the world from grade school upwards. We didn't sit around all day discussing cherry trees and atom bombs.
    Butterfly, birdie and Tati like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by SuriCruise View Post

I'm so sorry Suri, but I just have to chime in that I graduated high school without learning that the Japanese dropped bombs over Darwin... and yet knowing everything (I think) about America's Great Depression, the Swinging '20s, Ford and the production line, the League of Nations; I also learnt that if I just STOPPED going to three of my classes (math, sport and photography) and went to the library instead, rather than get an "F" on my report card - those three subjects just didn't show up

Before anyone asks - I was wagging because of the bullying. I got assaulted (poked with thumb tacks in math; shoved into desks in photography) and the teachers said they couldn't do anything... so I did something by going to the library to work on my novel instead. I was moved to another school the next year.
    00Kimmi00 likes this.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    ...Japanese dropped bombs over Darwin...
    See! The Japanese hate evolution, too!
    Kat Scorp likes this.

Now I'm genuinely wondering, is that what American curricula is really like? Repeats of American history? I was always encouraged to stay on top of current events and learn about other cultures in school, but maybe that's not the norm anymore?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information