Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By sluce
  • 3 Post By Dean James
  • 3 Post By A*O
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 1 Post By Grimmlok

Thread: US Embassy In Yemen Stormed as Clashes Spread

Default US Embassy In Yemen Stormed as Clashes Spread

Violence has spread from Libya and Egypt to Yemen today, with protesters in the capital Sana'a storming the U.S. Embassy compound.

Chanting "death to America," the Yemeni protesters broke through a security forces cordon and marched toward the embassy. The protesters reportedly got through the main gate but not into the embassy building itself.

Meanwhile, clashes continued near the U.S. embassy in Egypt, and a U.S. Marine anti-terrorist team has been dispatched to secure U.S. diplomatic facilities in Libya, where an attack earlier this week took the life of Ambassador Chris Stevens.

In Sana'a, demonstrators removed the embassy's sign on the outer wall and set tires ablaze, The Associated Press reports. Once inside the compound, they brought down the U.S. flag and burned it, the news agency says.

Iona Craig, a reporter from The Times of London who was outside the embassy in Yemen, told NPR that it initially appeared that security forces allowed the hundreds of protesters to break the cordon.

Once protesters got about 60 meters beyond the cordon, security forces fired warning shots with AK-47s and machine guns. "Then everybody ran in panic," she said.

Witnesses say security forces have since restored calm at the embassy. Yemeni news agencies report that U.S. embassy staff had already been evacuated by the time violence broke out.

The anti-Islam film The Innocence of Muslims, produced in the United States and seen mostly via a trailer posted on YouTube, is the proximate cause of the unrest.

On Thursday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the United States government had nothing to do with the "disgusting and reprehensible" film, which she called a cynical attempt to "denigrate a great religion and to provoke rage." However, Clinton emphasized that the U.S. would never stop Americans from expressing their views.

Authorities in Afghanistan have gone so far as to shutdown access to YouTube "indefinitely" to keep Afghans from seeing the film they say insults the Prophet Muhammad, according to NPR's Soraya Sarhadi Nelson in Kabul. Authorities hope blocking the website will help prevent outbreaks of the violence. But she says the Internet provider has yet to receive official notification of the request to block the website and that it is still accessible.

NPR's Leila Fadel, reporting from Cairo, says protesters there seemed to be less concerned about the film and more intent on provoking police, who were seen as a tool of oppression under the past autocratic regime of President Hosni Mubarak.

She says armored vehicles and riot police tried to disperse a crowd of a few hundred young men at the U.S. embassy compound there. Protesters were forced back into nearby Tahrir square and side streets by police using tear gas to disperse the crowd, Fadel says.

NPR's Tom Bowman reports that more than 50 U.S. Marines have arrived in Tripoli to take up security duties at the American embassy, which has been reduced to emergency staffing levels after the consulate in Benghazi was attacked by armed assailants, killing the ambassador and three other diplomatic staff.

He says diplomatic posts around the world have been asked to review security procedures.

A senior administration official says there was a recent security review for the American consulate in preparation for the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, according to Bowman. But the official told reporters there was no indication of a heightened threat that would call for more security personnel.

Mob Attacks U.S. Embassy In Yemen As Clashes Spread Over Anti-Islam Film : The Two-Way : NPR
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

WHY are they doing this shit now??
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I can't hear the name Yemen without thinking of Chandler Bing.
    MsChiff likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^ me either!!!

oh, this isn't good. i'm flying to sana'a in february.

I just can't with all this. Absolute nutters.

I just wish folks would take off their blue jeans and Nikes before trashing our embassies and burning our flag.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

A*O

Methodists don't riot in the streets, burn flags, bomb buildings and murder diplomats when someone says something mean about Jesus. Just saying.
    lucianodel, Jana and Sojiita like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Some people are just chronically butthurt.

I guarantee you in a couple of hours I could find you hundreds, even THOUSANDS, of videos, films, blogs, manifestos etc. all over the internet vilifying every religious group you can imagine and some you didn't even know existed. Anti-Christian, anti-Semitic, anti-this, anti-that, and me, hey, I'm a pagan so I MUST be a Satanist even though as a non-Christian, I don't even believe in Satan. But burn me alive, cuz I eat babies! Right! I'm sure lots of the idiots rioting in the middle east now would happily tie me to a stake and light a match. Anyway this dumbazz "film" is just the latest in a long line of mentally questionable bullshit--why even pay attention?!

About the only religions that don't seem to get regularly haterated are Buddhist monks, Quakers, and the Amish. Meanwhile an Iraqi friend of mine here in town says this shit is why he and his family chose to live here. And, he says, for the most part nobody ever gives them a hard time.

I'd say a lot of folks out there need to put their big girl panties on and grow the fuck up. Haters gonna hate. Why are they so damn defensive all the time?
    Snarker likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Nobody in the US even knew about this f'n video in the first place. It's some shitty C grade piece of shit. Who cares.

Dear nutjob muslims: grow the fuck up.

Sincerely,

The rest of the fucking world.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Methodists don't riot in the streets, burn flags, bomb buildings and murder diplomats when someone says something mean about Jesus. Just saying.
    No, but I have seem a few pissed off Episcopals in my day.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information