Thread: Did you know that Japanese troops are also in Iraq?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Did you know that Japanese troops are also in Iraq?

Koizumi refuses to name Iraq pullout date

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi on Sunday refused to say when the country's troops would leave Iraq, saying the government was still discussing whether and when to pull out, despite a media reports suggesting a July withdrawal.
    Media reports said Koizumi planned to discuss Japan's troop withdrawal at a June summit with U.S. President George W. Bush, and that Tokyo could begin to bring troops home in July.

"We will reach a decision based on a comprehensive evaluation," Koizumi told reporters in northwest Japan.
    "Even if Japanese troops do pull out from Iraq, (Japanese) assistance (to Iraq) will continue in other areas," he added.

With Iraq's unity government finally sworn into office on Saturday, speculation has been rife that Tokyo will speed up preparations to withdraw its 600 non-combat troops from the southern Iraqi city of Samawah.
    Nihon Keizai newspaper, Japan's largest business daily, reported Sunday that Japan will start the pullout as early as July, after Koizumi discusses the withdrawal plans with Bush at the June summit in Washington.
    Koizumi plans to assure Bush that Tokyo will continue to assist Iraq in other ways, the paper said. Koizumi has said Japan could send its Kuwait-based air force transport planes on missions to Iraq to carry U.N. personnel and equipment.

Tokyo will coordinate its withdrawal plans with Britain and Australia, who also have troops in Iraq, according to a similar report carried by Kyodo News agency.
    The reports cited anonymous government sources. Defense and foreign ministry officials couldn't be reached for comment Sunday.

Japan is Washington's top ally in East Asia and has been a staunch supporter of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, dispatching troops there in 2004 to carry out humanitarian tasks -- its biggest and most dangerous mission since World War II.

The Cabinet approved an extension of the Iraqi mission in December, authorizing soldiers to stay through the end of this year.

The deployment has been unpopular with the Japanese public, however. Many say it violates the country's pacifist constitution, and has made Japan a target for terrorism.
    Iraq's unity government took office Saturday after five months of often bitter argument, vowing to fight the insurgency and restore stability to set the stage for the eventual withdrawal of U.S. and other international forces.
    Tokyo immediately welcomed the new government, and vowed to continue support of Iraq's nation-building efforts.
    Koizumi is slated to meet with Bush in Washington on June 29, and will also visit Tennessee, according to Jiji News agency. (AP)

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na003000c.html

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: Did you know that Japanese troops are also in Iraq?

Er, to answer to the thread's title, yes.
    There are also Italian troops there (not for long since a left wing goverment has just been elected in Italy), although the Italian people was not in favour of it.
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Well, I'll fess up and tell you that no, I did not know that. And I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think ANY troops should be there.

Yes.

They are in the Al Muthanna province in southern Iraq. They are mostly engineers and their task is rebuilding infrastructure.

Their security is provided by Australian troops ergo why they would co-ord with us.
    An EM is like a Scientologist - Unhinged and Unbelievable - Now shutup and place your hands on my EM-Meter

*snerk*

Nice to have people cleaning up your mess for you, eh Bush
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

This is a rumour I heard but Japanese soldiers who are sent to Iraq get paid about $20.000 (US) a month salary.
    Although the troops are doing humanitarian work, I don't think we have anything to do with Iraq or we need to support some other country's war (JMO) and this seems like such a financial burden forJapan and its citizens. PM Koizumi is often criticized for being Bush's puppy dog.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Then he and Blair have something in common.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information