Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 year old girl sentenced to death

Default Re: 17 year old girl sentenced to death

An ex of mine left me at a night club once because the bouncers wouldn't let him back in after he'd staggered outside because he was too drunk. He just got a taxi home and I didn't even know where he was. Then I bumped into one of his friends who kindly walked me back to my bf's (If I'd gone to my house my mum would have castrated him!) and he kicked off on me for cheating on him with his mate! God he was such a wanker!!

I know my bf now would never leave me if I was in danger, no way. What half decent man would??
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

hell I don't even think most strangers would walk by and let that happen period..over here..but there..are a few incidents
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

This is a culture that sees women as property, either belonging to their fathers or their husbands. Sick.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Silver Member

I read about this story last month.

By the way, this does not only happen in Muslim communities in the eastern hemisphere. It happens in Orthodox or Maronite Christian communties, Sikh and even Hindu communities. Honor killings even happen quite often in some latin american Roman Catholic communities like in Peru, Colombia and Brazil.

It has NOTHING to do with religion and it is embedded in societal practice.

I have heard SO MANY stories like this and it is just so heart-wrenching and heart-breaking. It is mostly WOMEN and not men who get killed for this because women are made to hold the honor for the family.Even though she was raped, she gets blamed for it and not the man.Just SICKENING. But, the unfortunate thing, is that this tends to happen mostly in traditional communities where people are enclosed from the outside world and not as educated.They also tend to live in impoverished conditions. Sometimes people also who come from these kind of backgrounds will take that mentality when they move to western countries. Either way, hopefully justice will prevail and these atrocities will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53
    This is a culture that sees women as property, either belonging to their fathers or their husbands. Sick.
    Not ALL people in the same culture practice these kind of barbaric atrocities towards women.

Not ALL people in this culture sees women as property...It differs from family to family.

Even though I grew up in the Middle Eastern culture, and if I was raped, there is NO WAY my family would blame me for it. My dad would probably kill the man.

All the men in our families treat the women like the queens and with the uppermost respect they are and do not treat them as their property.

Let us not all generalize about one culture.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity
    And these people in power want the world to respect them, their religion and their God? This is so sick and evil and they wonder why there are cartoons?
    There you go again on the attack about Islam.

What does Islam have to do with this?Does Islam advocate to do this? This is imbedded as a societal practice and has NOTHING to do with religion. This also happens in CHRISTIAN communities in the Middle East, so I guess Christianity would be to blame for their barbaric honor killings?This also happens in the eastern hemisphere in Sikh communities, Hindu communities, and even in African countries and in Latin America. Will you go ahead and blame it on their religion.

You need to differentiate between what is societal practice and religion.

Iran is one of the most hypocrital and disgusting regimes out there. I was watching this documentary entitled Prostitution Behind the Veil which addresses the big problem of prostitution in Iran. They claim to be an Islamic Republic but everything that regime stands for is UN-Islamic. Girls are eligible to be executed at the age of 9 if they are found guilty or accused of any crime. They have a big heroin problem too. Iran produces 80% of the world's heroin. Prostitution is underground but very prevelant. The woman in the documentary was saying how she banged the police chief of the "Islamic" police twice and he payed her $10 each time. He would read verses of the Qur'an before banging her. This is the police of where they go around and check that no one is breaking "Islamic"(even though their practices are not even Islamic) laws. Like for example, they would check that a girl is walking with a husband or relative and not some random man.

There has been reported of widespread abuse,rape and molestation of boys and girls in the Christian churches under some Christian officials and clergies. Th Vatican has even tried to hide it and seal all this. This is obviously NOT because of Christianity and the blame stands with the Christian church communities that allow this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoodness
    In my Anthropology class in Uni, we were told you were supposed to leave your own values at the door when evaluation other cultures, but I don't know how anyone could do that in this case. It just seems so inherently wrong, how could it not be?
    How can our values be left at the door when this is purely barbaric and unethical to do this?I can understand about when it comes to certain issues, but not when it comes to things like this.

Not EVERYONE in one certain culture would think like this or even commit this. But when you live under a corrupted regime which does unethical practices, this WILL happen. They have to educate these people who take on these beliefs, to make them change their radical,sexist,traditional and sexist customs from the outside and inside.

Thier governments have to take action and stop these barbaric practices and not let these aspects be a part of their culture.
    Last edited by Hazeleyed_Honey; February 16th, 2006 at 02:54 PM.

You need to differentiate between what is societal practice and religion.
    What's interesting to note is that most of the time it's Muslims saying that the 2 are intertwined, much like Judaism.. it's a culture AND a religion meshed into one, inseperable.

Maybe it's just a convenience thing till the shoe is on the other foot for both.

Thier governments have to take action and stop these barbaric practices and not let these aspects be a part of their culture.
    Their governments are run by clerics who promote these kinds of things as God's Law. Culture and religion, intertwined.

There has been reported of widespread abuse,rape and molestation of boys and girls in the Christian churches under some Christian officials and clergies. Th Vatican has even tried to hide it and seal all this. This is obviously NOT because of Christianity and the blame stands with the Christian church communities that allow this to happen.
    True, but in this case these church communities operate within nations that have secular governments capable of prosecuting the offenders. Kinda hard to do that in a country that's RUN by said religion and staffed with clerics.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Pakistan is notorious for this kind of female "justice."

Wasn't pakistan all about the acid in the face?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Originally Posted by ohmygoodness
    In my Anthropology class in Uni, we were told you were supposed to leave your own values at the door when evaluation other cultures, but I don't know how anyone could do that in this case. It just seems so inherently wrong, how could it not be?
    "How can our values be left at the door when this is purely barbaric and unethical to do this?I can understand about when it comes to certain issues, but not when it comes to things like this."

Just thought I'd defend ohmygoodness's post. I think she's referring to cultural relativism. It's like an anthropological motto that you are not to judge a culture you examine. It is a scientific discipline (social science), it aims to study cultures with unbiased and objective scientific methods. In a sense, what you, Hazel eyed Honey, said about how common actully honour killings are is right. That is a varifiable fact, but to say that it is a barbaric practice is subjective from the point of someone who does not believe in honour killings. Anthropologists usually try to understand the motive from the insider point of view. For example, I've read an ethnography that detailed acts of gang rape, it really makes you cringe and angers you why the ethnographer being right there didn't do anything to stop it etc but my take is that he wanted himself and his readers to understand and accept the reality of it. But there are other anthropologists who disagree with the objectivity of sceintific methods, like I said in my earlier reply it is impossible to be bias-free, science isn't as objective as some ppl claim it to be, so in more postmodern type of anthropological analyses, scholars usually supplement their findings with how they came to that particular conclusion e.g. usually affected by their own cultural upbringing, race, class, gender, nationality, education and so on and some use non-scientific methods. For example, some scholars will tell what their biased postition is (e.g. I'm a modernist, feminist etc) and will critique the advantages and the disadvantage of their own methods of understanding upfront.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Cannibals!

Evil and brutal, or just having lunch?

One of my anth profs specialized in Southeast Asia and I asked him in class if he's ever seen a headhunter. He told me that he saw a Japanese photographer get his head chopped off cuz the headhunters asked for his camera and he refused...poor guy.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^^ Oh but the Japanese are used to that, with the ritual suicide and whatnot.

There's another interesting scenario.. back in feudal times, the Japanese offed themselves all over the place for honor, being shamed, etc etc.. they'd slit their throats, or disembowel themselves with swords, and even hack up their own families over said points..

To them, perfectly normal and the only way to live.. to outsiders, it seemed like a death cult.

SVZ

It's just a different society that's all. They hold honour higher than life.

well, there was that.. plus the whole karmic rebirth thing, they didn't really believe in the concept of death as a finality.

On top of that, they were always beset by tai-fun's, earthquakes and the apocalyptic fires that followed, given that all their houses were made out of wood and paper..

Death would be normal lol

yea there's some truth to that. Some Japanese aid workers were captured in Iraq and you know the usual, they got beheaded and was shown on tape. I'd say the Japanese weren't as shocked by it as the Americans. Sad and unfortunate nontheless but samurais have always done it!!!

In the suicide ritual of seppuku (or harakiri), you have to slice up your tummy first, I think you go straight down then move the knife from side to side and usually there's someone standing next to you that will cut your head off after you are done with yourself.

Actually from what I know it was side to side, and then if you were REALLY strong you cut from bottom to top.. the first slice opened your guts, the second slice spilled them out. How that ever developed as a way of recovering lost honor is beyond me..

And generally after you did that and pitched forward, your second would slice your head off which would then be cleaned, dressed neatly and sent back to your family in a nice box with a note saying how you died honorably and properly..

Most samurai didn't do the whole cut thing.. they'd place their knife in front of them, lean over to grab it and then CHOP.. off their head would go.

Apparently you were supposed to compose a death haiku beforehand.

Interesting how it was so ritualized.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information