Thread: Greek crisis: calls for Prime Minister to resign

Default Greek crisis: calls for Prime Minister to resign

3 November 2011 Last updated at 14:02 GMT

Greek crisis: calls for Papandreou to resign

Mr Papandreou's referendum plan has failed to win the support of many of his MPs

Greek PM George Papandreou is facing calls from senior members of his own party to resign, amid uncertainty about a eurozone bailout deal.
    During an emergency cabinet meeting, four ministers including influential Finance Minister Evangelos Venizelos urged Mr Papandreou to stand down and make way for a coalition government.
    Earlier the BBC reported that the PM was preparing to resign.
    But state TV reported that he had ruled this out during the meeting.
    The opposition New Democracy party has said it will accept a coalition if Mr Papandreou agrees to stand down.
    The Greek government was on the verge of collapse after several ministers said they did not support Mr Papandreou's plan for a referendum on the EU bailout.
    The BBC's Mark Lowen in Athens says that whatever the outcome Greece has been thrown into a period of intense political instability.
    The bailout would give the heavily indebted Greek government 130bn euros (£111bn; $178bn) and a 50% write-off of its debts, in return for deeply unpopular austerity measures.
    On Thursday, New Democracy leader Antonis Samaras called for a caretaker government to safeguard the EU deal.
    Shadow over G20 Mr Papandreou had called a vote of confidence for Friday. His Pasok party holds a slim majority, 152 out of 300 seats.
    However, he was faced with a parliamentary revolt after several of his MPs withheld their backing. Some called for early elections or a government of national unity instead.
    One Pasok rebel MP, Eva Kaili, told the BBC: ''I think now the only solution is to have a new government of national rescue and co-operation led by a person that is recognised by the majority [as] prime minister and tries to uphold the agreement [on the EU bailout] of 26 October."
    The row threatens to overshadow a meeting of the G20 in Cannes, where leading industrialised nations are to discuss the eurozone debt crisis.
    Mr Papandreou told reporters in Cannes his referendum would in effect be a vote on whether Greece should remain in the euro.

"The treaty doesn't foresee an exit from the eurozone without exiting the EU," spokeswoman Karolina Kottova told a briefing in Brussels.
    Earlier, the chairman of the group of eurozone countries, Jean-Claude Juncker of Luxembourg, said plans were in place for a Greek exit from the euro.
    "We are absolutely prepared for the situation that I have described and do not want to see come about," Mr Juncker told German ZDF television.
    Mr Venizelos launched the parliamentary revolt in the early hours of Thursday with a statement saying Greece's membership of the euro could not be put in doubt.
    "If we want to protect the country we must, under conditions of national unity and political seriousness and consensus, implement without any delay the decision of 26 October. Now, as soon as possible," Mr Venizelos said.
    Mr Venizelos is a former challenger for the Pasok leadership. In 2004, he was defeated by Mr Papandreou by 56% to 38% in a party vote.
    Greece was due to receive the next tranche of funds from its first bailout later this month. However, the EU has said it will not transfer the 8bn euros until after the referendum.

BBC News - Greek crisis: calls for Papandreou to resign

i don't know what our greek goddesses think of this but from where i'm standing, a referendum on the bailout seems like a stupid idea. talk about biting the hand that feeds you...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Ah,we are living great moments..fuck the whole corrupted lot of them ,fuck them..
    Traitors,people,s enemies..bloosuckers,i wish them a slow and painfull death.
    I am sick and tired of their manipulations and lying while people suffers.
    I trully hate them ALL.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

*shrug* I just... Nothing surprises me anymore. I just pay and pay illegal extra taxes with no end in sight. I work my butt off but I'm still accused of being lazy. There are constant strikes and protests so I breathe the fumes whenever there's a transport strike, I avoid the centre of the city which is slowing dying as a result, I plan my life around what fucker from the public sector will decide to strike that day and so on. There is so much that is wrong in this country right now and so much that could be right if we would just screw our head on straight and work to fix it.

I'm just glad there won't be a referendum because I don't believe the future of Greece is to go back to that mickey mouse currency that was the drachma. But good luck convincing some of the brain donors I have been talking to. I would have had to go around and lock people in their house that day.

Poor George, one way or another, I'm pretty sure his days are numbered. Really hope it won't be Eva Kaili who topples the government, though. I mean, seriously, look at her:

The future of a country in the hands of a former TV presenter bimbo? Gimme a break!

One of the comments in Quardian about our bankruptancy.
    Well i hope Greece will go belly up and back to drachma so we can go and have those cheap and long holidays again.
    I am not watching tv anymore,not read any blogs.
    And i dont plan to vote either.Fuck them all.

The bailout is the bitter medicine that Greece must accept for the poor financial management from all the passing governments of the last 20 years if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Girl View Post
    The bailout is the bitter medicine that Greece must accept for the poor financial management from all the passing governments of the last 20 years if not more.
    Some things just make people feel worse, like this remark.
    Greece is far from the only country, but ordinary people are the ones bearing the burden.
    Effie & Yanna, please just stay safe. I hope a year from now this is just a dim, bad memory.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Working Girl View Post
    I ve never voted for any of them,EVER.
    I ve been paying taxes and social security money all my life.
    Now i might not get a pension.
    At least half of the country is like me.
    Do we all deserve to pay for the corrupted family clans ruling the country with the aid and acceptance of EC and of course the US?
    Why the fuck they let us in the EC if they knew we couldnt or shouldn,t make it?
    Fuck them all,i say..all i know is the future of my kids is not safe and thanks god we can help them somehow.
    How about the millions suffering,no homes or jobs or future...

Most of us well understand that, Effie. Only a very few mean people would say such a thing.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

*shrug* I didn't mind working girl's little nugget of wisdom. It's the truth. I've never cheated on my taxes but a lot of people have and still are. I have never exchanged my vote for favours by a politician (a cushy job in the public sector, some problem to go away etc) but other people have.

Greece got accepted in the EEC for cultural reasons rather than financial and we had a chance to receive help and grow. What George's dad, Andreas Papandreou did (after running on an anti EC platform, no less) was take EC money, give it to his cronies, create a monster state with huge salaries and ridiculous protection for state workers, strangle private entreprises create enormous bureaucracy and pretty much give the people his people everything they wanted, as long as they voted for him. He destroyed Greece and even though I don't believe in God i do hope there is a hell especially for him and that he's rotting in it right now. His son was there while daddy was fucking us forever and ever so he doesn't get a free pass from me now for wanting to do the right thing.

I believe that we can fix this country. I believe that besides all the people being all indignant there is a silent majority, like me, seeing where we went wrong and willing to work to fix it somehow. I for one have had fucking enough. No one will cheat their taxes again in this country at my expense. No one in the public sector is allowed to be a freaking parasite at my expense, earning more than my while they produce nothing, absolutely nothing! I have had it. I will do whatever it takes.

So, don't worry, Working Girl, I know perfectly well what is going on. And we have accepted the bailout plan, the opposition party has already said they will vote for it. But when it doesn't stop with us and at some point they come for you and dictate your country's economic policy, do stop and wonder about this whole EU thing and how well it's going.

Amen..
    I do love this country,so do my kids,they refuse to leave and work abroad though they might get more money.
    Because this little rocky piece of earth is beautiful beyond words.
    Because this is where it all began.
    Yanna,thank you for giving me a ray of hope.
    We are tough and we will get over it..i hope.
    If only THEY let us.

Thread Information