Thread: British soldier jailed for refusing Iraq duty; says occupation is Nazi-esque

Question British soldier jailed for refusing Iraq duty; says occupation is Nazi-esque

ALDERSHOT (Reuters) - A British air force doctor who refused to go to Iraq was jailed for eight months on Thursday after being found guilty by a court martial of disobeying orders.

Australian-born Malcolm Kendall-Smith refused to go to Iraq in 2005, arguing the war was a crime. The judge ruled that the British presence in Iraq was legal and told the five-officer panel acting as a jury to ignore the officer's arguments.

The case is the first of its kind in Britain over the war in Iraq.

Kendall-Smith sat motionless as the president of the panel pronounced him guilty of five counts, one for refusing to go to Iraq and four for refusing to train and prepare.

Kendall-Smith's lawyer Philip Sapsford described him to the court as "a man of great moral courage".

The judge ruled that orders for British troops to deploy to Iraq in 2005 were legal because the British presence was covered by a United Nations Security Council resolution passed after the fall of Saddam Hussein.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: British soldier jailed for refusing Iraq duty; says occupation is Nazi-esque

He should thank God he is not a Muslim otherwise he would've been called 'islamist terrorist' and sent to Guantanamo base.

Default Re: British soldier jailed for refusing Iraq duty; says occupation is Nazi-esque

Well hell, eight months is jail has got to be better than going to Iraq, dontcha think?
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

He'll probably get sent to guantanamo anyway.. it seems to be the cure-all vacation spot for dissenters who get media attention.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

thats so wrong . but i think yer it would be better than going to iraq,

Elite Member

**edit

Thread Information